By AndaleManito
Dimes has said he will "go English" for the Euro games, and we know that Faf and T. Curry are going to be rested also. I imagine we'll go for a mix of youth and experience, with players like AJ and JLDP being involved, as well as Wilkinson, Curtis, Warr and Quirke.

I would hope we still put out a strong side, given that we are far from out of the competition. Obviously if we don't manage to get any points from the first game, then go for a more youth-based team in the second game. I would quite like the squad for La Rochelle to look something like this:

1. Morozov
2. Langdon
3. Jones
4. Postlethwaite
5. Phillips
6. Neild
7. B. Curry
8. JLDP
9. Warr
10. AJ
11. Yarde
12. L. James
13. Redpath
14. Solomona
15. Hammersley

16. Webber (Dolly?)
17. Harrison
18. JCW
19. Evans
20. DDP (don't think Moore is fit)
21. Cliff (Quirke for the Glasgow game)
22. Wilkinson
23. Curtis/Roebuck

Solomona, JLDP, AJ, Yarde need more game time. If Jones isn't involved in these games then not really sure when he will be, unless there's injuries. Not sure if Wilkinson is ready to go straight into a Euro game having been out for a long time, so maybe Curtis gets the 22 shirt. Not entirely sure if Redpath is fit again but think Sam James needs a rest at some point, and we need to save RJVR for bigger games. Warr due a start as he hasn't put a foot wrong, although I do think Quirke is the more exciting prospect. Haven't included Birch as a first cap against La Rochelle away in the H cup is pretty tough.

We should absolutely be aiming to win this game, but we do need to give some players a rest, and caps to those putting their hands up for selection at some point in the season. I can actually see an argument for S. James being involved though, having only recently coming back from injury and looking in fine form + Redpath maybe not being 100% recovered.

Regardless of which game it is, all of the following are due some involvement over the next two games:

Jones, Langdon, Postlethwaite, Neild, Warr, Redpath, Roebuck, Wilkinson, Curtis, Quirke.
By Shark Drunk
Curtis, Quirke, Carpenter, Roebuck and Doherty are all away as part of the England U20 Elite Player Squad training for the Six Nations, so unlikely to make these European games.

Pity as it would've been great to see them given a chance to carve it up for the Sharks.

Quirke was phenomenal when he came on for the Jets against Gloucester and tore them to pieces, a really exciting prospect!
By AndaleManito
oooh good point, forgot about that. In that case I wonder if the back bench might look like:

21. Cliff
22. Wilkinson
23. Ashton

Aye Quirke does look really good!
By Olyy
I'd be surprised if Cliff doesn't start one or both games - you need the experience in there if you have a bit of a cobbled together side with a lot of youth.

My side would largely look like the one in the first post, just with Cliff starting (and probably captaining - though I think that'll go to B.Curry).

I remember a lot of the jets guys looked good in the prem cup at the start of the season - can't remember who stood out (Roebuck? Curtis?) but looking forward to seeing them get some more game time if they're called upon here.
By Van Cannonball
I think we’ll have a lot of changes for the away game and just retain a core who haven’t played that much, like JL and AJ etc, and then play a fairly strong team home for lead into Ex with only Faf, Tom and anyone with a niggle rested, maybe Akker.

I’d definitely like to see Luke James start both, and ideally play 15 if there’s more likelihood of needing to see him there against Ex rather than in centres.

Any news on Hammersley? He walked off in the Saints game as I recall so didn’t seem anything serious at the time but don’t think I’ve seen an update.
By StalyShark
Cliff seems to suggest that Jets player James Williams is due to play. Haven’t seen much of him bar the Jets loss to Worcester to comment too much though.
By 45jumper
I wouldn't want to see quite as rotated a side as is in the OP, I'd probably go for something like...

Morozov
Webber
JCW
Postlethwaite
Phillips
Ross
B Curry
Moore

Cliff
MacGinty
Yarde
Redpath
S James
Ashton
L James

Subs
Langdon
Harrison
Jones/John
Evans
Du Preez/Neild
Warr
Williams
McGuigan

I'd have tried to get Curtis/Quirke/Roebuck in the squad but if they're away with the U20's that's a non-starter. I reckon the side above has a good mix of youth and experience.
I've gone for Moore as he's so highly rated but hasn't had much of a chance. Unfortunately I could see him moving on in the summer for more gametime which would be a massive shame. Ross could probably do with a rest but you try dropping him :lol
By AndaleManito
45jumper wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:45 am
I wouldn't want to see quite as rotated a side as is in the OP, I'd probably go for something like...

Morozov
Webber
JCW
Postlethwaite
Phillips
Ross
B Curry
Moore

Cliff
MacGinty
Yarde
Redpath
S James
Ashton
L James

Subs
Langdon
Harrison
Jones/John
Evans
Du Preez/Neild
Warr
Williams
McGuigan

I'd have tried to get Curtis/Quirke/Roebuck in the squad but if they're away with the U20's that's a non-starter. I reckon the side above has a good mix of youth and experience.
I've gone for Moore as he's so highly rated but hasn't had much of a chance. Unfortunately I could see him moving on in the summer for more gametime which would be a massive shame. Ross could probably do with a rest but you try dropping him :lol
Like the look of that side, I'd forgotten about Williams! Think Jono due a rest though. I could be wrong but isn't Moore injured?
By Clutch
Moore hasn’t been playing for Jets. Sadly it’s always safe to assume he is injured.

Is Wilkinson injured again?
By stevene
I'd go for/ suspect we will see:

Morozov
Webber
JCW
Evans
Phillips
Nield
B Curry
JLDP
Cliff
AJM
Yarde
L James/Redpath
S James
McGuigan
Redpath/ L James

Harrison
Langdon
WGJ (or Jones)
Postlethwaite
Ross
Warr
Williams
Curtis

Would expect Cliff to start as FDK back for Prem games, equally whilst Evans has played a lot recently Lood De Jager arrives this week and expected to be playing end of month. Suspect he will take over lineout calls straight away. AJ needs playing time and JLDP has had 3 weeks off on the naughty step so see no reason not to shift him to 8 in order to rest his twin. Not sure is redpath is fit but if he is expect him to play either in the centre or full back. I suspect we will see the benefit of Redpaths game time this season in 12 months time. Also good opportunity for Yarde (and he seemed fitter/ quicker vs quins then previous games when he came on) hopefully he is starting to get back to pre injury. Good opportunity to blood Williams and Curtis off the bench.

To be honest that 15 is as strong as teams we put out a lot last season. Considering this would be missing Hammersley, Ashton, Solomona, RJVR, RDP, FDK, Shrek, AVDM, LDK, Tom Curry, DDP and Wilson from the 23 is great.

Wonder if we will see a stronger team vs Warriors with it being a home game if we have a opportunity to finish 2nd.
By Elgar
But we don't actually have a realistic chance of qualifying, do we (even though it's mathematically possible)? Hope I'm wrong but the tables look to me as though Gloucester and Glasgow are the only two sides with a real opportunity to make up the last 8 alongside Leinster, Saints, Ulster, Clermont, Munster, Racing, Tolouse…

Can see the argument for keeping / gaining momentum but I'd really like to see serious rotation. Would much rather see promising youngsters given exposure in games like these, even if in 'scratch' sides against more organized opposition (I guess Glasgow will pick their best side in two wknds time whereas I doubt La Rochelle will this wknd), than the alternative; getting thrown in at the deep end during availability crises or having to leave to get enough game time.

Joe Jones, Langdon, Wilson, Neild, Posthelwaite, Luke James, Yarde could all do with a run (and possibly Cliff and AJ) but aside from them I can't see the purpose of anyone more established than Cam Redpath / Gus Warr (/ Arron Reed, Kieran Wilkinson and Sam Moore if fit?) getting game time ahead of those further down the depth chart.
By stevene
Dont think we have any chance of qualifying/ its a dead rubber.

Problem with having a bigger squad is the need to rotate and keep everyone match fit and factor in their expected playing time for the rest of the season.

Those in need of rest and recuperation are Solomona (not fit all season for me), RJVR (wrap in cotton wool), RDP (played most games, FDK (injured), Oosthuizen (injured), AVDM (injured), DDP (played in most games), T Curry (played in every game post RWC return), Ross (played in every game), Hammersley (probably still injured), Ashton ('senior' squad member).

JDLP has just returned from 3 game suspension, S James has been injured until recently and (like Yarde) would benefit from a run of games. Morozov, McGuigan, Nield, AJM and Cliff will have limited game time I suspect post end of Jan subject to injuries and therefore need game time.

Harrison has been on the bench recently along with Webber so getting them involved at least for 20-30 mins off the bench is sensible. Equally WGJ didnt play much in the first few months of the season.

Having the ability to mix a starting 15 with youth and experience and blood a number of jets off the bench (warr, curtis, williams, postlethwaite) is a good balance to me. Going to France with a team made up of 75% of under 21's and running the risk of getting a hiding is going back to the bad old days of a paper thin squad.

We have been competitive in every game we have played this season, dont see why we shouldnt aim to be in every game moving forward but mixed with an opportunity to blood a number of Jets next couple of games.
By IrishShark
The maximum points we can get to is 16 and since Munster and Saracens have to play a dominant racing in the final rounds and Gloucester and connacht have to play Toulouse we can technically sneak into that final berth. Northampton losing away to Lyon could also work in our favour but we need to win away 1st for any permutation to work.

I'm just hopeful we can make a 1/4 final as we would likely be playing in Dublin Easter weekend
By Surbiton_Shark
My thoughts on the line-up

We've had a few matches against La Rochelle - they tend to be bad tempered affairs, as it's away I'm not sure putting a load of jets in would be the right thing as I suspect La Rochelle will be keen to physical.

On interviews this week - Williams has been mentioned at playing some role (he played in some of the Prem cup games), Sam James/Luke James interview mentioned that we beat them quite well at home earlier and they will be keen for revenge.

Other have mentioned we've lost some of the young lads - I was quite looking forward to seeing Curtis play as he was really impressive

Assuming we have a bad tempered affair and I've 10 mins till my next meeting - if we put out an 'aggressive' 15 who would we have - I've only included some past players

Props - Harrison seems too nice so he's out. Our Russian prop and SA definitely start - big Ted on the bench
Hooker - Lots of options - I believe last season Akker got a ban for an SA game for beating up the ex-Sarries/SA hooker so he starts - I'll have Steve Diamond on the bench
Second row.........Jager/Phillips? - De Preez bench
Back row - tricky - defo Jono Ross, I wouldn't mess with the De Preez, Chabal was good - I did like Jason White
Scrum Half - Mike Phillips - no competition - Faff on the bench
10 - Tricky - I'll put a Curry twin in place - they are excellent at winding up the oppo
Wingers - Ashton and the Horse - the Horse is captain of my aggressive 15
Centres - Sam James isn't shy of a word so he's in - and Johan - the size of his thighs does it for me - though he does smile an awful lot.
15 - Other Curry twin

I can't remember the name of I think the prop (Faure) who tried to punch was it Justin Marshall? (Kiwi scrum half when he played for Leeds) - so he would get in.

Just for a laugh - I'm sure I've left out a lot of obvious omissions!
By Lord Elpus
Tried and failed. Missed with 6 out of 6 but still got a red. Wasted effort imho.
By Olyy
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 pm
He did from memory miss with every single punch and still got a Red

Who is Ford on the bench?
Cal Ford - don't really know anything about him but seen him in jets squads for a while. England u18s
By Elgar
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:17 am
My thoughts on the line-up

We've had a few matches against La Rochelle - they tend to be bad tempered affairs, as it's away I'm not sure putting a load of jets in would be the right thing as I suspect La Rochelle will be keen to physical.

On interviews this week - Williams has been mentioned at playing some role (he played in some of the Prem cup games), Sam James/Luke James interview mentioned that we beat them quite well at home earlier and they will be keen for revenge.

Other have mentioned we've lost some of the young lads - I was quite looking forward to seeing Curtis play as he was really impressive

Assuming we have a bad tempered affair and I've 10 mins till my next meeting - if we put out an 'aggressive' 15 who would we have - I've only included some past players

Props - Harrison seems too nice so he's out. Our Russian prop and SA definitely start - big Ted on the bench
Hooker - Lots of options - I believe last season Akker got a ban for an SA game for beating up the ex-Sarries/SA hooker so he starts - I'll have Steve Diamond on the bench
Second row.........Jager/Phillips? - De Preez bench
Back row - tricky - defo Jono Ross, I wouldn't mess with the De Preez, Chabal was good - I did like Jason White
Scrum Half - Mike Phillips - no competition - Faff on the bench
10 - Tricky - I'll put a Curry twin in place - they are excellent at winding up the oppo
Wingers - Ashton and the Horse - the Horse is captain of my aggressive 15
Centres - Sam James isn't shy of a word so he's in - and Johan - the size of his thighs does it for me - though he does smile an awful lot.
15 - Other Curry twin

I can't remember the name of I think the prop (Faure) who tried to punch was it Justin Marshall? (Kiwi scrum half when he played for Leeds) - so he would get in.

Just for a laugh - I'm sure I've left out a lot of obvious omissions!

Like this.

Perhaps Lee Thomas (I remember him as a beast for someone who joined as a 10 - before becoming more of a 12) and Glenn McAllister (in for size of his quads on the same basis as RJVR) could fill in across 10/12/15.
By Van Cannonball
Martens at 9 and Nicky Little at 10 for those who go back far enough.

Andy Powell worth bringing off the bench for some entertainment in final quarter.
By stevene
Like the team. Nice balance in the starting XV between players who are likely first choice but missed a few games (S James, DDP, JLDP), some squad members who arent currently first choice (Cliff, AJM, Yarde, Phillips) and youngsters (Roebuck, Postlethwaite, williams).

Players who have played a lot recently rested such as T Curry, RJVR, RDP, AVDM, Evans and Ross.

Dugdale, warr, carpenter all to blood off the bench. Morozov, langdon and nield more game time off the bench.
By StalyShark
God help Williams in his first proper game against Botia and Roebuck too against Retiere! Also quite the test for the replacement front row with Antonio on their bench.

Very strong back row and that should be quite the battle.
By Yareet
Elgar wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Like this.

Perhaps Lee Thomas (I remember him as a beast for someone who joined as a 10 - before becoming more of a 12) and Glenn McAllister (in for size of his quads on the same basis as RJVR) could fill in across 10/12/15.
[/quote]

Luke?
By Flumpty
Olyy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:48 pm
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 pm
He did from memory miss with every single punch and still got a Red

Who is Ford on the bench?
Cal Ford - don't really know anything about him but seen him in jets squads for a while. England u18s
From the Stay Another Day video, he can sing (??!)
By StalyShark
Seems like Joe Jones is fit as he’s just posted a picture on social media of La Rochelle. Odd that he’s not on the bench instead of Ford.
By Olyy
Surprised at how well we're going, tbh - I feared the worst!

Our scrum looks class and our defence has been pretty damn good, despite the two tries (silly intercept try and a fumbled hack through is a nightmare to defend against no matter who you are)

Hope AJ's shoulder isn't as bad as it looks
By Lord Elpus
StalyShark wrote:Although we’ve played pretty well so far we really need to learn how to play against 14 men.
Drive it up then spread it wide. Take the lineout or the scrum against 7 forwards. It's not rocket science. AJ looks like he'll be injured for a long time.

Williams & Roebuck look great prospects.
By Olyy
Postlethwaite has impressed me a lot,
Puts himself around a lot and to good effect.
We've tended to produce second rows who are really backrows, of late (Beaumont, Gaskell, Nott) but Postlethwaite looks like a real lock
By Olyy
So daft from Morozov
Letter of the law that's a red but it's soft as hell

La Rochelle should have had two yellows though, their flanker threw an elbow into Morozov after the whistle but the TMO didn't look at it
By Lord Elpus
Well done all the youngsters - Postlethwaite (nightmare for a French commentator) , Roebuck, Williams , Langdon cameo all excellent.

One again Anglo-French encountersmarred by poor officiating teams from the Pro-14. Their 3rd try had a forward pass and they missed the trip.
By eBike
Agreed, an excellent showing by the youngsters as well as a spirited performance by the regulars. To take a losing bonus from a very good and fired up La Rochelle team was some performance.

Morozov will rue the retaliation but that choke hold was a disgrace.

Fingers crossed that AJ's OK.
By IrishShark
eBike wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:58 pm
Agreed, an excellent showing by the youngsters as well as a spirited performance by the regulars. To take a losing bonus from a very good and fired up La Rochelle team was some performance.

Morozov will rue the retaliation but that choke hold was a disgrace.
Ref should be blowing up for penalty before he getsto do that though
By StalyShark
Two ways to see the game:

1. A game to show some of the youngsters such as Postlethwaite, Williams and Roebuck that they can cut it at the top level which will undoubtably help them progress or
2. If we hadn’t butchered our plays in the first half leading to two opposition tries we should have put the game beyond them. Bearing in mind that the team we put out was not our strongest we still could have had all five points.

Inclined to see it more as the latter despite some good performances from those in need of it in the long term. A stronger team may well put us a clear second in the group and a decent chance of getting up to 16 and possible qualification next week. Wouldn’t we be kicking ourselves if Exeter put out the kids against La Rochelle and the latter qualify with 15 or so points? Let’s hope we don’t Le Roux that scenario.
By Van Cannonball
Think it’s highly unlikely Exeter will do anything other than push for 5 points as they’ll want to guarantee top seeds and home draws.

I’m much more inclined to see that as the former option. Gutsy display by a weakened team with some excellent showings by the youngsters. Destroying a French scrum in France also a highlight.

Sad to see AJ go off like that. He did seem to be upping his game. However I hope Wilkinson and Curtis get some opportunities as ultimately they both look to have the talent to be better players.

On Morozov, I know players shouldn’t react, and not disputing the red, but I’d like people to stop saying it was a neck roll and yellow the right sanction (lots on Twitter). That was an extended choke and if I was Morozov I’d have smashed him in the face too...
By DavenportSharky
The prolonged yank on Morozov’s neck was I think potentially much more dangerous than the contact he made in retaliation. If the French kickers had their radar on that score could have been embarrassing. We did however play some good rugby and there were lots of positives. You have to feel for Langdon who was on the verge of being a regular in the 23 until we found Akker. He produced offloads and broke tackles. The young all looked talented with potential to make it. Great to see a 19 year old prop in the pipeline. Would have put Warr on earlier. LaR simply capitalised on our mistakes which were largely when we were in good attacking positions. Scrums went well, lost only one lineout and the DuP twins must be a nightmare for the opposition. Marland looked better than of late and Ashton seemed determined to shine in France. Credit to the Sale fans who made themselves heard in an often raucous home crowd. Was that pitch artificial, grass or a hybrid? Celtic referees seem poor in comparison to our Premiership ones.
By Clutch
Quite. Just annoying to get a red for something so petulant. Should have decked him! At least the ban will be small in theory.

Good point about Yarde. He’s not quite there yet, but that was a step up against a tough team. Fingers crossed.
By Taplow 1861
With thanks to RugbyPass.

Sad news, but he went down hard

“ Sale out-half AJ MacGinty has been ruled out for up to four months after dislocating his shoulder in Friday night’s 30-23 Heineken European Cup pool defeat by La Rochelle.

Steve Diamond, the Sale director of rugby, insists the club have the resources to cover for the loss of the US Eagles No10 who has been sharing the starting role with Springbok Rob du Preez.

MacGinty has been struggling to stay fit in recent seasons with his very physical style of out-half play putting him in danger – he is a No10 who doesn’t shirk defensive duties which puts him harm’s way.

MacGinty was sidelined for twelve weeks in October 2018 by surgery on his shoulder and he now faces another lengthy period of rehabilitation. He will see a specialist on his return from France to assess the extent of the damage suffered at La Rochelle.

Diamond said: “It’s a dislocated shoulder for AJ and he will probably be out for three or four months which is disappointing, but we have other players in the squad who can play there.”
By Clutch
Poor lad. Is it the same shoulder as before?

Wonder who will play 10 next week? Is Wilkinson ready to start? Don’t see any benefit in playing James there.
By StalyShark
Dimes pretty much said he’ll go for a full first choice team against Warriors so it’ll be Rob du Preez.
By Lord Elpus
Glasgow looked pretty physical if not downright dirty against Exeter. The full team may take some knocks in what is probably a dead rubber.
By StalyShark
Should hear tomorrow. I’d imagine three weeks.
Attachments
8DE85681-F2DE-4C6B-B1C8-48CC83E5622D.jpeg
8DE85681-F2DE-4C6B-B1C8-48CC83E5622D.jpeg (95.35 KiB) Viewed 13270 times
By Olyy
Pics on instagram of Oosthuizen packing down at loosehead so looks like he's fit/will be involved vs Glasgow.
By StalyShark
Carnegie prop added to the Euro squad.
Attachments
3A42AF1B-BE30-4611-A874-24E383B6B485.jpeg
3A42AF1B-BE30-4611-A874-24E383B6B485.jpeg (70.27 KiB) Viewed 13187 times
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]