By patgadd
My wife has just casually mentioned that she's already started her Christmas shopping. This naturally set me thinking of what I would like to get for people, or perhaps what they would appreciate most. Pat Lam came to mind immediately; a tape measure would surely help him remember how tall his players are. Any other suggestions for DORs?
Warrior7, W4rriorz1980 liked this
By FlipFlop
Maybe some real braying Donkey's for The Shed.

Fits with the Nativity theme, there will be room for them to roam (Donkeys that is) and it'll save the socially distanced one eyed Glaws fans from having to bray themselves, risk COVID transmission, and make themselves hoarse (i'll get my coat, as even i didn't seem that gem coming even though i was typing it!) :mrgreen:
W4rriorz1980, patgadd liked this
By TeflonTed
A jar full of fat buzzing wasps so that Dimes can have a good chew.

And a season ticket to his hairdressers for Rob Baxter who is undoubtedly the best groomed person in professional rugby.
By A38
An abacus for each FD who is trying to balance the books in their* PRL club.

(*apologies for using this modern usage. It usually upsets me as it's the use of a plural where a singular is intended. Generations ago I would have written "his club" and later it would have been "his/her club" but now it's "their club")
By TeflonTed
A38 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:34 pm
An abacus for each FD who is trying to balance the books in their* PRL club.

(*apologies for using this modern usage. It usually upsets me as it's the use of a plural where a singular is intended. Generations ago I would have written "his club" and later it would have been "his/her club" but now it's "their club")
You could have said “his or her PRL club”, but would have undoubtedly been listed for crucifixion because you didn’t find a way to include those who have decided that they are no longer a “he” or a “she”, and clearly therefore must be an “it”.

But I understand that such folk object to being referred to as “it”, even though they have decided they are not a “he” or a “she”, and wish to be referred to as “they”, even though there’s only one of them.
By Litzy Cole
Sorry to butt in on 'your' board, but you seem upset about this. I don't like deliberate 'mangling' (if I may say that) of the English language, but 'their' seems to work okay and if it pleases someone who does not identify as either a he or she, wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? Let's try and be nice to each other.
By TeflonTed
Don’t think anybody’s trying to be nasty, I’m just trying to understand how and why things change, and why it’s OK to decide to want to be called “they” when that’s a plural, but not OK to query this in defence of the English language.
By SimonG
In agree with the last poster and believe his/her/their/its opinion should be respected.
By FlipFlop
TeflonTed wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm
A jar full of fat buzzing wasps so that Dimes can have a good chew.
Ted, I thought you were going to suggest the Wasps for use at The Ricoh instead of the gimmicky gaazoo’s trying to e Wasp-like.
By patgadd
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:22 pm
Sorry to butt in on 'your' board, but you seem upset about this. I don't like deliberate 'mangling' (if I may say that) of the English language, but 'their' seems to work okay and if it pleases someone who does not identify as either a he or she, wouldn't that be a nice thing to do? Let's try and be nice to each other.
... and I'm sorry for being flippant, but I note you are a Sale fan and find some difficulty trying to imagine Dimes struggling with his (her?) gender identity.
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By Litzy Cole
Possibly correct about Dimes. But I think he is trying to be nicer these days! I wish you success in the near future and quite possibly tomorrow.
By Litzy Cole
TeflonTed wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:21 pm
Don’t think anybody’s trying to be nasty, I’m just trying to understand how and why things change, and why it’s OK to decide to want to be called “they” when that’s a plural, but not OK to query this in defence of the English language.
That's fine. The language (and the species) evolves. They are living things. I was thrown into complete confusion when I met someone transitioning. Maybe we have to accept change, even if we don't like it. I include myself in that last statement.
By ROLLO
This topic has been taken completly off piste by the not usual interuption of someone having to make a point which was not nesessary about comments that were not nasty , but offence has been willingly taken. How boring.
Back on topic I would suggest a spoonful of sugar which helps the medicine go down for Sarries in the Championship.
By patgadd
.... or a new calculator for Mark McCall? I understand his current one was given to him by Diane Abbott, and may not be totally reliable.
By FlipFlop
Wasn’t the calculator the property of Nigel Wray rather than Mr McCall unless I missed something. He may have needed one to tot up the points deductions dished out this season though :thinking:
By patgadd
FlipFlop wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:24 pm
Wasn’t the calculator the property of Nigel Wray rather than Mr McCall unless I missed something. He may have needed one to tot up the points deductions dished out this season though :thinking:
You're right of course.
By Litzy Cole
ROLLO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:06 pm
This topic has been taken completly off piste by the not usual interuption of someone having to make a point which was not nesessary about comments that were not nasty , but offence has been willingly taken. How boring.
Back on topic I would suggest a spoonful of sugar which helps the medicine go down for Sarries in the Championship.
Just to say I was not offended. I won't bother coming back and trying to spread a little compassion.
By TVM
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:22 pm
As an aside I have often wondered this. I am perfectly happy that people identify as they wish to identify - however, I have long wondered when we are in posession of a perfectly servieable genderless third party pronoun in 'their/they', why bother with all of the he/she/him/her optioneering if there is a multitude or uncertainty over gender preference.

It clutters speech and sentences and in so doing draws attention to the issue thus taking one step further away from the status of being unquestioningly normalised as a thing in modern society.

IMHO.

As you were :)
Sale Sharks Womens' Indifference

Thanks MikeGC, count me among the 75+

I appreciate it is not for all, but arguably pas[…]

Pleaser

Meakes is solid and actually seems to be a fairly […]