By FlipFlop
No charts required

12th re points scored in Prem

3rd re highest points conceded

Yet 7th in league with over half a season left to play

if Attack is being held back to bolster Defence, it clearly is failing.

With Sarries demise giving the league a feel of ring fencing about it, I don’t see this as a development opportunity especially with Duncan and Doke off at season end.

What are others thoughts ?
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By A38
The question for me is whether yesterday was a blip, a one off game which any team can suffer or something more.

I don't think that it was a blip.

The Saracens situation provides a no-relegation breathing space to build for next season, for injured players to make a full recovery before being thrown back in not fully fit and for different tactics to be tried. It also opens up the transfer market. This should allow some of the strength in depth issues to be addressed.

But of course all the other clubs will have the same opportunity AND the coaches who will manage the squad next season are yet to arrive.

So, I'm afraid that my mood this morning is as gloomy as the weather.
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By W4rriorz1980
It's been a strange season anyway,much like last season notwithstanding Sarries demise.

Despite some saying there is nothing to play for,that's codswollop.We still want to strive for top 6/7 for Champions Cup rugby & at least equal or better our best finish of 8th! Whether or not we'd be ready for top level European rugby,that's another story for a different thread if by some miracle it ever happened!

We're in our best position after 9 games for a long while.Albeit we could drop to 8th today if Quins beat a Sarries 2nd XI/3rds/academy/invitational side (delete as appropriate!) :whistle:

As someone on here pointed out a few days ago,Patgadd i think,how ironic we're having our best season to date @ this stage of the season where there is no threat of relegation!
By Simba
As I said on the other board, this team is regressing. I do t know if that is down to the coaching, complacency or what, but they are imho going backwards.
Very disappointing.
g2forumsm liked this
By g2forumsm
What has been disappointing for me is that over the last couple of games when players from the Cavs have been given the chance, they have not taken it. I guess they need the opportunity to see if they can step up, but he biggest disappointment for me has been Shillcock closely followed by Heaney and Kitto. I would now throw the real youngsters in as Saints did last year, they can't be any worse.
By GoofyWarrior
SVB was unlucky not to even get on the bench yesterday, and the way he's played in the Cavs, I don't see any reason why he would not make the 1st XV in place of Shillcock. Really not sure what he has to do to get a crack at the Prem...
Fullback has been a problem this year, which I personally hope that Nanai is the answer to. However, with him injured, Pennell badly off-form and for all the reasons covered above, I don't see why Scott isn't deployed in the interim.

Heaney has looked better off the bench than he did starting - maybe he's a SH that is at his most confident when he's facing an opposition that are tiring...rather than when he "tires with them".

And on a side note, Lawrence obviously needs to stay in the team to build on some impressive performances and to gain even more experience too.
Freypal liked this
By Ms. Citlalli Kiehn DDS
I have to say I thought Heaney was pretty good. There was something missing between 9 and 10 though but I’d put that more on Weir having a slow? game.
By The Ledbury one
Been pleasantly surprised by the starting forwards, I don’t necessarily think that we need a “big “ ball carrier, just an effective one, doesn’t always equate to size.
We’ve really missed Bryce and playing a kick and chase game, you need chasers, which we had on Bryce and Josh.
Would love a fully functioning Lawrence Venter centre combination but Weir needs to play to their strengths in his distribution and quick ball from 9
Overall, could do better B-
By TeflonTed
W4rriorz1980 wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:25 am
Despite some saying there is nothing to play for,that's codswollop.We still want to strive for top 6/7 for Champions Cup rugby & at least equal or better our best finish of 8th! Whether or not we'd be ready for top level European rugby,that's another story for a different thread if by some miracle it ever happened!
Good to see you yesterday, if only briefly.....and yes codswallop indeed.

But I’m not with you in striving for Champions Cup next year, I think that could be really a stretch too far.

I’d be delighted to see us a straight 7th, although, as you imply above, given whatever shenanigans the authorities get up to regarding qualification, we may need to be 8th to avoid over-stretching our boys the season after.
Abmatt, W4rriorz1980 liked this
By Underdog
I actually don't think there's many players who have been poor this season. Pennell and Mills have obviously had some form issues and have been dropped accordingly. Hougaard wasn't great for a while but has upped his game.

Our problems are tactical. The pack isn't getting beaten up, our backs have shown they can defend and attack well in places, but we just look like we're stifling ourselves. Hopefully the warmer weather helps as it currently doesn't feel like we're playing the sort of rugby our pitch allows for.
By west brom warrior
While not many players have been poor this year I think it is fair to say not many have really played there best and that has been the problem as such we are very much inconsistent in our performances.

I still think the squad is lacking depth in the front row and a big ball carrying back row player who can smash us over the game line time and time again. The back 3 this year are nowhere near as good as the back 3 last year and that is costing us tries and therefore results.

We still have a lot to play for this year and I hope we improve in a lot of areas on the pitch as we could have our best ever season but I do hope we don't finish in the top 6 our squad is not deep enough to compete we still need to build.
By A38
The squad have been given a few days off and will convene Thursday week.

Maybe this will give everybody concerned an opportunity to recharge batteries, for injuries to sort and plans to be laid for the rest of the season.
west brom warrior liked this
By TeflonTed
west brom warrior wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:26 am

I still think the squad is lacking depth in the front row and a big ball carrying back row player who can smash us over the game line time and time again. The back 3 this year are nowhere near as good as the back 3 last year and that is costing us tries and therefore results..
That’s a good point. Maybe Caleb Montgomery will fit the bill. He’s 6’3”, over 16stone, and still only 24, he’ll bulk up a bit.

And as we know, he a good bloke and a good team man!!
west brom warrior liked this
By west brom warrior
TeflonTed wrote:
That’s a good point. Maybe Caleb Montgomery will fit the bill. He’s 6’3”, over 16stone, and still only 24, he’ll bulk up a bit.

And as we know, he a good bloke and a good team man!!
Perhaps he will Ted I din't know he was that big but he certainly has potential as does Ted Hill with ball in hand. Hopefully they can show what good team men they are.
W4rriorz1980 liked this
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]