By A38
Some 20 years ago I was sold a Blue and Gold Season Ticket with one of the lines being that one day, maybe, you will see Leicester play here.

And over the years I have indeed seen Leicester play at Sixways - and be beaten a few times.

I also had some good years watching Worcester move into the Championship and, when the large lady sang, into the Premiership.

But since then, season after season, it has been a case of will we or won't we avoid relegation.

At the beginning of every season we are told that this time it will be different - and on one level we believe it and go away from the supporters' meeting in optimistic mood. But somehow it never seems to happen.

Over the years there have been valid explanations as to why such and such game has been lost - at the moment it's "narrow margins".

But that's not the point. The broader view must be taken. Worcester has simply not been able to break the circle of relegation or near-relegation. It's not happened.

When I bought my first season ticket Leicester were at the top; now they're not. But they will come again. That club has a proud record and generations of supporters behind it.

So what's the medium term future for Worcester? Are we going to be the Italy of a ring-fenced Premiership?

I'm afraid that I must confess to be a congenital pessimist but despite all the talk about the talent pool of young players and the potential of the new coaches coming in I am becoming more and more certain that Worcester will be forever a permanent bottom feeder club.

Accordingly I have a decision to take. Will I buy a season ticket in the summer? I probably will. I'm born and bred in Worcester and rugby is my game so I'm not going to Gloucester or Wasps and you never know next year might be different...

But the season after?
By Abmatt
I am naturally pessimistic and my glass is always half empty rather than half full.

That is why when we win I think is feels even better. I’ve stopped expecting anything, because when I do and we loses it feels even worse.

I do however think that one day we might possibly, somehow, maybe turn the corner and cement a mid table position.

Or possibly not!
By TeflonTed
A38 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:43 pm
I'm afraid that I must confess to be a congenital pessimist
I misread this, and thought that congenial was a very good characterisation.

If it’s any consolation, I’m not sure if my season ticket history is much different to yours, since I’ve basically lost track.

But hey, how many good new friends have we made, and how many very good breakfasts are yet to come. (As long as there’s black pudding).
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By west brom warrior
Can you be an optimist and a Worcester Warriors fan?

A38 on whats the future for Worcester I have the same question. Any answers or theories are welcome but I struggle to see how we are developing a team to challenge higher up the league.
By Latecomer
west brom warrior wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:05 am
Can you be an optimist and a Worcester Warriors fan?
Yes, I'm living proof of that :yes:

From day 1 of the new ownership, I think it should have been clear to us all that we were never going to be big spenders. Jason and Colin, for all their good points, are not mega rich. They dont have squillions to invest in big name players. However, if the Academy production line can keep producing youngstars (see what I did there ?) like Hill, Lawrence, Kitchener, Butler, David and Owen then the future IS bright, just might take a little longer than we all want.

Is that optomistic enough :) ?
west brom warrior liked this
By west brom warrior
Latecomer yes that is fine and an optimist is always welcome.

On the academy we have always produced players and I am delighted to see that it has become a main focus of the new ownership, I have never forgiven Charlie Little for allowing the academy to be mothballed. My internal pessimist however says we will simply be a breeding ground for good young players before they move on to bigger clubs higher up the league so will we really develop as a team on the pitch?
By TeflonTed
Optimism is obligatory.

And not always easy. I still support Wuss and Wales.

Having a good academy feed is step 1. Step 2 is keeping them, which we are slowly getting better at.

Optimism is still appropriate, and there’s less competition to be a consistent optimist than to join the ranks of the wildly irrational “support” that swings between doom and despair one moment and ranting exhortations to be the 16th man the next.
By Underdog
A good, and very honest post A38. You've neatly described the way I often feel throughout the season. Sometimes I do have to emotionally distance myself a bit because it does feel silly to feel fed up over Worcester losing a game of rugby, but it's still disappointing at times.

I do think the first part of this season was a strange one because we looked a bit unimaginative but results were pretty good and we were in a pack of other solid teams. Results have certainly dropped off recently, but performances seem to be slightly improving. In the last few seasons, I have felt as you describe around this part of the year, and then we have gone on to play some lovely rugby and won a few games. If that happens again, we'll probably all be here again next season.

Penguin https://assets.sainsburys-groceries.co.u[…]

A glimmer of hope?

Take a look at this very brief thread looking into[…]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/artic[…]

Bath time

Was thinking about this game a few hours ago...mai[…]