By west brom warrior
This maybe why player signings are somewhat slow this year from all clubs as many wait to find out what it means long term.

In reality I am sure the RFU and Premiership rugby wont have a system when mid season a lot of players are suddenly unavailable so likely to be some temporary rules put in place until end of next season. I also suspect a lot of players will be looking at duel citizenship and other ideas to circumnavigate all the potential issues. One thing is for sure they will all get work permits as long as the earn over £26k a year.
By TeflonTed
Like a large number of other post-Brexit issues this can be easily dealt with.

I anticipate that the necessary stroke of the pen will occur, and it will all be sorted.
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 pm
I anticipate that the necessary stroke of the pen will occur, and it will all be sorted.
Certainly hope so Ted, most of them have signed contracts to the end of 21/22 season.
By poyntonshark
It looks like non-news yet.

The article states - "From December 31 a number of players from South Africa, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa will lose their right to work in the UK as the 2003 EU Association Agreement will not apply at the end of the post-Brexit transition period."

They simply don't know yet that those currently under Kolpak will lose their right to work. It's true the agreement as it stands will no longer apply, and it is true that they could lose their rights to work. As has already been said it can't be beyond the wit of man, or even politicians to come up with an alternative.
By west brom warrior
poyntonshark wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 am

They simply don't know yet that those currently under Kolpak will lose their right to work. It's true the agreement as it stands will no longer apply, and it is true that they could lose their rights to work. As has already been said it can't be beyond the wit of man, or even politicians to come up with an alternative.
Legally kolpak players won't lose there right to work here as most will be well above the threshold needed for a work permit so it should be a simple swap over but under league rules they will no longer count as a non overseas player which is where the issue will be for the clubs.
By poyntonshark
That's a decision for PRL. PRL rules are largely decided by agreement between the clubs. I see no problem whatsoever.
By Abmatt
Apparently we have the highest number of kolpak players in the league according to TRP.
By g2forumsm
Abmatt wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:55 am
Apparently we have the highest number of kolpak players in the league according to TRP.
This is where we need JP as other clubs are saying the the figures are straight off Wikipedia and do not reflect those who are actually UK residents due to residency etc.
By TeflonTed
We need to keep in mind the difference between government and the game’s governing bodies, World Rugby/RFU/Premiership Rugby.

The government may well decide to adopt the EU Kolpak Ruling, along with sundry other bits of European Court of Justice legislation, or it may not. Only time will tell.

But if it does not, then players who currently qualify automatically for the right to work in Britain under Kolpak, may well still qualify under whatever work permit rules we end up with. As has been already stated, they will be classed as skilled workers, will have highly valued and time limited contracts, and my guess is they would be allowed to work by national legislation. They’re a handy source of tax revenue, and can not be argued to be keeping U.K. nationals out of a job due to the perceived skill-level argument.

How the game’s ruling bodies then choose to classify them is altogether a different matter.

Let’s not forget the government couldn’t give a hoot about RFU EQP rules et al.

For me, there’s no need to panic, I reckon this one will work itself out.

Humbug

Boo Hoo, Bleat bleat I've said it before an[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

It could suit both parties. SJ gets a new experi[…]

Covid Repayments

Look at the going concern statements in Glaws acco[…]