By Abmatt
Solly has agreed a deal apparently according to TRP.

Thoughts?

Personally I’d rather get Marco resigned.
By Underdog
I do wonder if Marco may not keep going, though that's based on nothing other than my own thoughts. All that stuff with his leg will have taken a big toll and I would understand completely if he felt it wasn't worth it. If he does feel happy to carry on, I'd love to see him stay for us as i think he's never less than 7/10 in terms of performances, and is often one of the better players on the pitch.

Kvesic would be a super signing, but given how well he's gone down at Exeter in a team that looks like winning the prem this season, it does still sound to me like his agent is working hard to get a pay rise out of Baxter and Rowe.
By g2forumsm
Underdog wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:43 am

Kvesic would be a super signing, but given how well he's gone down at Exeter in a team that looks like winning the prem this season, it does still sound to me like his agent is working hard to get a pay rise out of Baxter and Rowe.
I think he is at best 2nd or 3rd choice in eavh of the backrow options at Exeter espically with new South Africans they have. He only got an extended run last year due to Sam simmonds serious injury. As I said earlier, have him like a shot, even morse so as he is only 27
By Abmatt
As I said when I started the thread I’d rather get MM resigned. I’d still welcome MK back, but I thing the salary he’d command could be better spent reinforcing other positions.
By A38
I don't disagree with that but MK is I think just the sort of player AS will be looking for: an experienced Premiership EQP to blend in with the overall plan to bring on the young players from the Academy . Graham Kitchener very much fits into that pattern of course as does another recently rumoured second row currently with Leicester.

If the AS plan does work out I would expect to see far less reliance on non EQP or at least non British Isles players than hitherto. That would deal with the Kolpak issue discussed on another thread.
Abmatt liked this
By A38
PS: Just seen this on the Exeter board:-

" He is gutted to be leaving and was heartbroken when he had to put his house up for sale, he saw it as a home and county to bring his family up. He did not ask for more money and didn’t go looking for it, he just didn’t figure in RB plans. He was told quite late that no contract was on the table so had to start looking for another club. This is a case of a player not being wanted/needed so he has to move on. Sad for him."

https://m.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/ ... 8,16733395

No indication of the source of the comments but they seem to be made with some inside knowledge.
Abmatt liked this
By Abmatt
So we could end up with a player who ‘has’ to be here, rather than ‘wants’ to be.

Don’t disagree with any of your previous comments A38.
By west brom warrior
I would be delighted with Matt coming back to the club he is a top player. I don't care about the circumstances over his Chiefs departure I see there loss as very much our gain.
By TeflonTed
Yes, I’d be happy to see Matt back, he always put in a committed shift for us.

As to insider leaks regarding his departure, we all know how reliable insider leaks are don’t we?

And if he really had been let go in the manner suggested, how nice of an Exeter supporter to publicise his disappointment for him.
By Abmatt
If he’s coming or not I still don’t think our recruitment for next season has been good enough.

Yes there’s been some good resignings, but I still think we need more.
west brom warrior liked this
By west brom warrior
Abmatt wrote:If he’s coming or not I still don’t think our recruitment for next season has been good enough.

Yes there’s been some good resignings, but I still think we need more.
Agree and happy as I am with Kvesic coming back is a 7 really a requirement? While Matt for me is a better player than Lewis I would put Lewis as one of the first names on the team sheet. I appreciate Matt can play 8 and there is no reason it wouldn't allow us to play one at 6 and one at 7 as England have done over the last year and really attack the breakdown I just question if the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

As for general recruitment we are heading backwards as a team and the signings so far don't appear to acknowledge where the problems are. Next year we are heading for relegation as things stand in my opinion.
By Underdog
I think it's worth looking around the Prem when it comes to worrying about recruitment. Aside from Bristol, no-one has been busy in terms of announced signings.

Someone made the point here or on the other place that not only will Saracens be ditching some players, but because of the funding cut to the championship, there may be some good depth signings to be made at a fairly low cost. There are two significant factors at play that aren't ordinarily there. Even if we don't sign anyone from those two groups, it will cause a merry go round of other players who will become available.

I agree we need to strengthen certain areas but it's not like we're standing still with everyone else racing on.
By A38
The risk of injuries in the abrasive area of the back row should not be forgotten. Cover there is essential. I would have no problem with an apparent over supply in that area.

That is just one factor to be taken into consideration when discussing the area of new signings.

Other factors are the availability of suitable players wanting to come to Worcester, the money available (both in terms of the Cap and, probably more importantly, in the owners' coffers) and the positions where strengthening is required.

All clubs will have balancing issues and difficult decisions to make. Player A will have to be balanced with Player B - one of those will not be offered a new contract however good and loyal player he has been for that club particularly if there are doubts about his fitness going forward.

The one consolation for Worcester at the moment is that post Saracens the market is probably more advantageous for "buyers" than it has been for a while and AS may well have the opportunity to pick up one or two useful players.

The problem may however be that deals were struck in the sellers market before the Saracens news broke and now those deals will have to be honoured.
By patgadd
Gloucestershire On Line report that the transfer to us is a done deal, though closer inspection reveals that they have copied and pasted the rumour direct fro TRP without bothering to check the facts. The rumour may well be true, but hacks really should make some kind of effort.
By FlipFlop
I guess we don't have any info at present about players who ARE and who MIGHT be leaving in the area Matt K might be lined up for.

A couple of things for me- Marco, as mentioned above might decide that life itself is more important than trying to play on in Rugby and move on.

Ted seems to be on the edge of selection for Internationals, so we need someone of similar calibre to keep our game levels up when such calls arrive.

Whilst not on fire at the news of Matt K arrival, he would be in the category of quietly effective as a player IMO, without any off field shenanigans to detract from his on field play, so would be good in that respect, however his best years have been played elsewhere IMO.

How much longer is GJVV likely to be with us in the Back Row, Lewis' game style is very abrasive and it is a miracle of medical science he doesn't get broken more, so to have players like Matt to help here is good sense, if not bringing hope of another step up next season from the team.

Wonder if Tom Wood might consider coming back in this era of 'homecoming Warriors'?
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]