By patgadd
A very apposite post TTA; we can only hope it gets stopped, though this only seems likely if the 6 nations is added to the list of "protected" sports.
By Underdog
Agreed. The Six Nations is the sporting highlight of the year for me, and shoving it onto sky will just mean I watch it via highlights when I have spare time. BBC and ITV combined to keep it on terrestrial telly last time but it seems that any joint bids are being ruled out this time, which sounds like they've already made their mind up.

The way cricket and F1 have fallen off a cliff in terms of public consciousness should be all anyone needs to see to decide this is a terrible idea. The problem is that it will make lots of blokes in blazers a lot wealthier, so any argument against it is probably a waste of oxygen.
By west brom warrior
While I would welcome the fact that moving to Sky or BT would mean that Brian Moore is no longer spouting nonsense on commentary the move would be hugely damaging for the sport. Just look at how participation levels in cricket have dropped since 2005 and the end of cricket on free to air TV.
BishBash liked this
By Freypal
If it goes to Sky it'll be the end of my interest in international rugby. I already pay for BT sport but won't pay for another package due to rugby rights being splintered. And if I don't watch the 6N, I'll have little interest in the autumn fixtures either as I'll have lost my fix of meaningful international fixtures.

Same happened with F1. I used to watch it, now I don't. Likewise the Pro 14.
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By Abmatt
Freypal wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:37 pm
If it goes to Sky it'll be the end of my interest in international rugby. I already pay for BT sport but won't pay for another package due to rugby rights being splintered. And if I don't watch the 6N, I'll have little interest in the autumn fixtures either as I'll have lost my fix of meaningful international fixtures.

Same happened with F1. I used to watch it, now I don't. Likewise the Pro 14.
See I went the other way. I have SS (as I have sky) so I can watch F1 but refuse to pay for BT as I feel their coverage is poor and only focuses on the top teams rather than an even split.
By YorkshireWarrior
'While I would welcome the fact that moving to Sky or BT would mean that Brian Moore is no longer spouting nonsense on commentary the move would be hugely damaging for the sport.'

Stuart Barnes is far worse IMHO.

And it would be a disaster for Rugby as the people who only watch the Six Nations wouldn't bother. If the RFU is indeed skint, it is probably a done deal.
By The Ledbury one
Would this be for all 6n games or just England games.
If all 6n unions need to agree to this I can’t see either France or Ireland agreeing to it.
By west brom warrior
The Ledbury one wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Would this be for all 6n games or just England games.
If all 6n unions need to agree to this I can’t see either France or Ireland agreeing to it.
It would impact on England, Scotland and Wales but not sure on Northern Ireland.

Interestingly MPs have today tabled a motion moving the Six Nations to a Category A sporting event meaning that it will have to be shown on free to air if passed.
By TeflonTed
Several good points made, and IMHO one very important one missed!

IF (that’s a big if) it were to go to Sky, you don’t need to be locked into a subscription.
A NowTV 24 hr pass, currently £7.99, and often discounted, would allow comfortable viewing at home, casts from your device to your big screen TV if required, and is far cheaper than going to the pub, not hearing the commentary (even if it is Brian Moore calling forwards “dull”) and being surrounded by loud pub bores who watch rugby once a year and amazingly know everything.

Anyway, as already stated, there’s a decent enough chance that it won’t happen, must be a few rugby fans amongst the Tory government benches!

Let’s look on the bright side.
By OverTheBorder
Surely it needs to broadcast on what ever platform reaches the highest/widest audience. The sport needs promoting, new recruits and a move away from its elitist image.
By BishBash
OverTheBorder wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:15 pm
Surely it needs to broadcast on what ever platform reaches the highest/widest audience. The sport needs promoting, new recruits and a move away from its elitist image.
Bearing in mind the RFU appear to be quite happy to ditch the second tier, I’m not sure they always have the best interests of the game at the forefront of their minds.
Carling and his 57 Old F’s are still in command I fear. Not much interest in promoting the game, other than international’s bringing the money into Twickenham and assisting the old boys network at the established Prem clubs.
C5 or was it 4? revitalised cricket only for viewing figures to plummet once on sky. These days there may be more Sky dishes around but it’s still an expensive habit.
west brom warrior liked this
By west brom warrior
BishBash is right the the RFU and other boards will only do what makes them the most money and this is true of most sports none of them govern for the good of the game but for the good of themselves.

As for the more Sky dishes around the country many will be in a similar boat to my brother who has Sky but not the sports channels due to the cost.
By Freypal
I imagine a good deal of the satellite dishes will be like us. There for Freesat rather than a paid subscription. We use it as the standard digital TV reception is terrible.

Magnanimous.

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]

Ask the Club

Was sent my tickets electronically today to go[…]