By Abmatt
Read on the other site we are possibly getting him on a short term deal.

Thoughts?

He can finish but I’m not particularly sold on him. But it may help sort out out issues crossing the line. Trouble is we have to get the ball to him first, but you can’t deny his finishing stats.
By Freypal
Never been a fan of his theatrics but he's a good finisher if not one to create chances himself. Worcester's issues have been more around finishing chances than creating them so it could work.
By TeflonTed
I’d be surprised.

I know his poaching skills are certainly a matter of fact, but that depends on who he’s got round him.

I can’t see him being attracted to Wuss at any price, what’s in it for him really? He can’t be short of a bob or two can he?

I wouldn’t want him anyway, I have a feeling he’s not great for the dressing room, and our team spirit and morale are probably one of the few things we seem to generally get right. I see him as a risk to that.
By Abmatt
Well according to AJwarriors it’s nearly a done deal, and he is a man in the know.
By TeflonTed
Abmatt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:09 pm
Well according to AJwarriors it’s nearly a done deal, and he is a man in the know.
That’s very true, AJ has a good rumour success index!
By Macwarrior
I’m in two minds about this one. If he is only here until the end of the season he could prove disruptive in the dressing room, knowing he won’t be around for long.

Alternatively he could bring a certain arrogant winning mentality which I think is lacking and of course he is an excellent winger......

Not sure.
By FlipFlop
Finishing, stats are generally good, but his last stint at Sale seemed less emphatic than previous clubs. We’re bereft of clinical finishers, so it would work in that respect, but no doubt put a dent in the bank for whatever term we might have him unless he wants to do some “charitable” work by lowering his demands!

As others allude, getting the ‘egg’ to him could be as bigger a challenge as getting him here in the first place.
By poyntonshark
He did pretty well in try-scoring terms with us and definitely brought that certain something to the team as a whole. No obvious evidence of dressing room instability until his very strange and sudden departure. Which was allegedly due to philosophical differences with Dimes.
By Warrior7
Pretty sure I watched an interview with Chris where he explained that difference in philosophy with Dimes.

We are certainly a side that could use a good tracking support runner to finish tries. Can you imagine Ashton dropping passes like Humphreys did on Friday? I can't.

We do also badly need some finishing nous in the back 3 with Nanai out for the season, and Heward, Fidow etc. I'd be happy to see him at either 15 or wing for us.
Last edited by Warrior7 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Van Cannonball
In terms of difficult/troubled characters, it’s seemingly the only time Dimes has failed out of Andy Powell, Danny Ciprini, James O’Connor and Ashton (there’s probably more).

But if it’s a short term need he’s definitely a top finisher and strong character on the field. We’re missing his spark somewhat this season.
By Underdog
I'd be pleased to see him as we are creating chances and apparently no one fancies finishing them off.

I think he would add hugely to our dressing room: he's the rugby equivalent of a goal hanging striker who wants it on a plate all the time. We need a bit more of that I think. I always think he comes across well when doing punditry too.
By Abmatt
I don’t think some of our players back themselves sometimes. They’re always looking for the offload or step inside instead of just gunning it.

One thing Ashton does is back himself.
By Underdog
Yep. All part of our wider confidence issue that annoyingly won't go away until we win a few games. But we won't win those games until we are a bit more confident...

This is why they pay JT the big bucks!
By Abmatt
Underdog wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:06 pm
Yep. All part of our wider confidence issue that annoyingly won't go away until we win a few games. But we won't win those games until we are a bit more confident...
Bit of a vicious circle that!
By SixNineOne
Abmatt wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:53 pm
I don’t think some of our players back themselves sometimes. They’re always looking for the offload or step inside instead of just gunning it.

One thing Ashton does is back himself.
From the games I’ve seen him play, Perry Humphreys is a classic example of a player not backing himself. His instinct seems to be to slam on the anchors when a potential tackler approaches in the hope that he can duck behind him rather than giving it a go and just blasting on through. You’d have thought that with his pace and strength he’d have a decent chance of making the line.
Abmatt liked this
By patgadd
Underdog wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:09 pm
he's the rugby equivalent of a goal hanging striker who wants it on a plate all the time.
I'm no fan of Ashton, but I'd say he's exactly the opposite; he's constantly looking for the ball and following it.
By Underdog
I was trying to illustrate his expectations of his team mates but you're right, it was a bad analogy.
By poyntonshark
Van Cannonball wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:04 pm
In terms of difficult/troubled characters, it’s seemingly the only time Dimes has failed out of Andy Powell, Danny Ciprini, James O’Connor and Ashton (there’s probably more).
He couldn't make Brian Mujati give a flying f......
Flumpty liked this
By TeflonTed
Well, another week goes by and no Ashton.

There was an interesting piece on rugbypass.com yesterday, referring to the latest podcast presented by Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton on The Rugby Pod.

It’s a bit of a long read, but I found it informative.....and fills a few minutes of lockdown.
Ashton-on-his-way-to-Wuss conspiracy theorists may want to comment.

From rugbypass.com :-
6:59pm, 19 January 2021
Where veteran England winger Chris Ashton will next lay his hat has been up for the debate during the Gallagher Premiership circuit breaker this past fortnight. Soon-to-be 34, Ashton is currently at Harlequins where he has played just once in this season’s top-flight and was given the runaround by a carefree Racing attack in the Champions Cup.
Ashton popped up in London last March following an abrupt departure from the then-Steve Diamond coached Sale whom he joined in 2018 after a single season at Toulon.
Now unwanted by Harlequins beyond the end of this season, the speculation is that Ashton would jump at the chance to mend broken fences with Sale now that Alex Sanderson has been appointed their new director of rugby.
He would allegedly also be interested in returning to Northampton, the club he joined when he first crossed over to union from rugby league in 2007. It is also the place where Ashton is currently living since he was signed by Harlequins.
Last capped at Test level in February 2019, Ashton still an eye for the try line but The Rugby Pod have debated whether that reputation as a finisher will be enough for him to secure a deal for the 2021/22 Premiership season given that finances are tight at clubs and the preference might be to develop younger, less costly players.

Show co-hosts Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton also wondered whether Ashton’s habit for breaking contracts could count also against him in a market where clubs in England have a salary cap that will be reduced by £1.4million next season.

What ensued was a lively debate and ultimately a plea from ex-England international Goode for some boss somewhere to do Ashton a favour and agree to a deal as he believed his talent still merited another chance. He is how the conversation unfolded:

AG: Chris Ashton, he’s basically phoning everyone and anyone to get out of Harlequins, I’ve heard.
JH: Desperate to go to Northampton is what I heard.
AG: I think that is where he living now again.
JH: That is where he is living now. It’s a difficult one for him – 34 (in March), he had an absolute shocker against Racing. He was awful but he is still a good player. He’s a winger and the thing now is you look at the profile of players and that list came out about the most well-paid players, the fly-halves and the second rows, with the poor hookers bottom of the food chain.
“Someone like Ashy, who is 34, can score tries, can’t catch a high ball – comes off his forehead – has been around the block a bit, and has left contracts. He left Saracens when he was under contract to go to Toulon. Left Toulon under contract, goes to Sale. Left Sale under contract. Is now at Quins and it looks like they are not going to offer him a longer deal.
“You’re thinking, well how much does a Chris Ashton want? Well, he’d want £200K, £250K. He might get offered £150K, a bit less. You think of young lads that come through now that are fast and are probably quite raw. You look at how Louis Rees Zammit came through as well.
“There are players like that coming through the system now so if you’re a Northampton or a Worcester or whoever, are you best placed to try and bring an academy player through and fill the void with the money that you have got – and money is tight – with a second row or pay your poor hooker, who is having to work as a binman on the side as well because he is that underpaid.
“Give him a little more money as well. Who’d be a hooker in any rugby team? The lowest-paid players. Who would have thought?
AG: The other thing is the way you described that Jim, not only how much does he [Ashton] want but how much does he want it as well.
JH: Are you questioning his desire from that Racing game?
AG: I’m not. You spelt it out that he left Saracens under contract. He left Toulon while under contract, he left Sale while under contract… that is the thing, do you want to spend a chunk of money on a player when you don’t know how long he is going to be there or not?
“In reality, the only two clubs that he in the UK would give everything for are Saints and Sale. He’d probably give everything to those clubs the last couple of years of his career perhaps if he goes for a couple of years, but he can’t get in the Quins team at the minute. Poor bloke.
“His last performance was bang average but he has got a hell of a track record at scoring tries. It’s a luxury to have him, isn’t it, being honest. I know he has been on the phone constantly to Alex Sanderson, he is phoning Mark Cueto up as well to get him to sign for Sale.
“He’s sorry for leaving, he wants his house back. He doesn’t want to live in Northampton anymore but then he does want to live in Northampton. He doesn’t want to play for Quins but then he does. Who knows? He didn’t want a break two weeks ago. Just give the lad a break. Someone give him a deal because it is good fun watching Ashy play.”
By Fuzzy Dunlop
A few bits rounded up here via https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ose-moves/

- Chris Ashton to Warriors is beginning to gather pace and The Mail on Sunday reported that a mid-season deal could be agreed in a matter of days ['as soon as tomorrow']

- Former-Newcastle winger Sinoti Sinoti is another name now being rumoured to be on Worcester's target list as the club look to bring in further back-three reinforcements.
The Mail on Sunday say Sinoti was on trial with the club all of last week and could well be lining up for the Warriors very soon.

- NEWCASTLE Falcons are reportedly monitoring the contract situation with Worcester Warriors' Ollie Lawrence ahead of a potential move for the England international next summer, The Rugby Paper reported on Sunday.
Last edited by Fuzzy Dunlop on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:32 am
“He’s sorry for leaving, he wants his house back. He doesn’t want to live in Northampton anymore but then he does want to live in Northampton. He doesn’t want to play for Quins but then he does. Who knows? He didn’t want a break two weeks ago. Just give the lad a break. Someone give him a deal because it is good fun watching Ashy play.”

Edited by me to save space :yes:
That's got to be your longest ever post Ted :thinking:
Shall I contact Guinness Book of Records :dance:
By TeflonTed
Latecomer wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:01 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:32 am

Edited by me to save space :yes:
That's got to be your longest ever post Ted :thinking:
Shall I contact Guinness Book of Records :dance:
copy/paste is a fine command!

I still don't want him, although SS would be fine.
By FlipFlop
Lawrence to Falcons- hopefully fanciful talk from Falcons during ‘close season’ rather than likely outcome
By g2forumsm
FlipFlop wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:59 pm
Lawrence to Falcons- hopefully fanciful talk from Falcons during ‘close season’ rather than likely outcome
If nothing else, he is under contract for another season with us
By TeflonTed
I know the article says his family are moving “further north” without being specific, but why on earth would he be interested in Falcons? I can quite understand why they’d be interested in him mind.
By g2forumsm
TeflonTed wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:24 pm
I know the article says his family are moving “further north” without being specific, but why on earth would he be interested in Falcons? I can quite understand why they’d be interested in him mind.
click bait journalism on a slow Sunday and it worked ...
By Macwarrior
I have it on good authority that Ollie is buying a house in Worcester ,which doesn’t suggest he is moving north any time soon.
By Freypal
Good news, I wonder if ring fencing makes it less likely for Lawrence to leave to be honest. If there is no risk of playing in the championship and he's already being picked in the England squad then there's less pull. There will be the obvious desire to win domestic silverware but from a life persepctive, if you're settled and on decent money then I guess ring fencing helps.
By TeflonTed
I remember a similar story from almost exactly 20 years ago.

40 times capped England winger and triple British Lion Ben Clarke joined Warriors aged 33.

Hope this one goes better.

Really.
By ROLLO
I am pretty sure it will TT. On the other hand it could probably not go too much worse.
By Underdog
I'm pleased. I don't think you could accuse Ashton of ever being a lazy player, and he is a superb finisher.

Well done the club.
By Abmatt
There are some things I don’t like about Ashton, but he can score.

If does that regularly I’m sure I can overlook the rest.
By FlipFlop
Macwarrior wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:15 am
I have it on good authority that Ollie is buying a house in Worcester ,which doesn’t suggest he is moving north any time soon.
Maybe he plans to do some property development work with Ashton :thinking:
By FlipFlop
Ashton will be marmite for supporters. If he gets the ball ( big if) his threat will occupy the minds of at least 2-3 Defence which should free space for other Warriors, or he’ll burn off the Defence and get the tries himself.

Won’t mind seeing the ‘Splash’ either as always enjoyed Latham doing something similar when he scored.

Expensive piece of a jig saw, but could live up to the ‘missing piece’ tag more than most that have played for Warriors. Here’s hoping.
By Latecomer
FlipFlop wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:46 pm
Won’t mind seeing the ‘Splash’ either as always enjoyed Latham doing something similar when he scored.
I will (mind seeing it that is), you'll think it's great until he loses control before touching down.
Always remember (a young) old Kitch losing control trying to dot down behind the posts many years ago.
My ageing memory recalls it was against Bedford in a play off semi final :thinking:
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By poyntonshark
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 pm

40 times capped England winger and triple British Lion Ben Clarke joined Warriors aged 33.

Really.
If you signed Ben Clarke as a winger there's no wonder it didn't work out well.
By TeflonTed
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:47 am
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:59 pm

Really.
If you signed Ben Clarke as a winger there's no wonder it didn't work out well.
Ha, you’re right of course. My memory of him scoring in the south east corner after a longish run down the touchline in front of our scaffolding east stand clearly seduced me into an inaccurate position for the back-rower.

I do, however, remember such a score, and maybe because it was the only decent thing he did for us during his short stay!
By patgadd
Latecomer wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:16 pm
Always remember (a young) old Kitch losing control trying to dot down behind the posts many years ago.
My ageing memory recalls it was against Bedford in a play off semi final :thinking:
My ageing memory agrees with your ageing memory. He played damned well in that game though.
By ROLLO
I remember a Cavaliers game many years ago ( probaly 16 or 17 ) against Bath when Jeremy Guscott played . It was a very wet afternoon and I remeber thinking that Ben's committment in that game was pretty good, Maybe playing agnst his old club had something to do with it ?
By SimonG
ROLLO wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am
I remember a Cavaliers game many years ago ( probaly 16 or 17 ) against Bath when Jeremy Guscott played . It was a very wet afternoon and I remeber thinking that Ben's committment in that game was pretty good, Maybe playing agnst his old club had something to do with it ?
A bit longer than that I suspect Rollio. Guscott retired in 2000!
By A38
I noted the comment : "It has to work" about his time at Worcester.
By Underdog
I feel even more pleased having listened to that. He came across as honest to a fault and very clear that he wants to do right by his family and career.

I'm also glad that we will have someone in who will call out problems with the environment, as Worcester does come across at times as though it's a bit cosy. Having someone parachute in halfway through who hates losing and has definitely won most games he's played in might be a real boon.
By TeflonTed
I read with interest the positive comments, and if he does bring some "dog" to the whole environment, then that will be good.

I'd really like it to work, but remain to be convinced.
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By TeflonTed
Try try again wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:17 pm
6 weeks ban!
I think it's 6 games, rather than weeks. Depends on schedules, but is potentially worse.

Edit, sorry, I’ll correct myself. Having read the RFU judgement, it is 6 weeks.

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Never ending word association thread

Bam https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=t[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]

Ask the Club

Was sent my tickets electronically today to go[…]