By TeflonTed
I don’t think we could field much better.

Hopefully the top 2” will be in good shape, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t give a good account of ourselves.

Saints back 3 are very dangerous, we need to keep some control at the set-piece and avoid a loose game.

Our form must turn one day.
By ROLLO
Pennell v Furbank
Searle v Biggar
or
Nanai v Furbank
Weir v Biggar.
I think that is some loss of strength Ed.
By Warrior7
If we weren't on such a rotten run of form this should really be winnable - Saints aren't exactly on fire at the moment and they've taken Grayson out of the 23 and moved James to the bench, both of whom are on-form halfbacks.

Would have liked to have seen Smith start again but hopefully Searle can put in a good performance. If our backrow performs to its potential then we have every chance of winning, especially with the Beck/Lawrence combo back. Probably our best centre partnership IMO.
By TeflonTed
ROLLO wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:28 pm
Pennell v Furbank
Searle v Biggar
or
Nanai v Furbank
Weir v Biggar.
I think that is some loss of strength Ed.
“I don’t think we could field much better”....given we can’t field injured players!”
By Underdog
Looks good to me. I'm keen to see Batley have a run in the team. At lock would be my preference but he looked good at 8 before.

I would like:
1) a win
2) Waller to score a try pushing big bro backwards over the line
3) an egregious Ash Splash try.
By TeflonTed
Our worst home defeat ever. Saw it coming, but never imagined it would be quite that bad.

Transition from what to what I wonder.
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:23 pm
Transition from what to what I wonder.
Surely a transition starting from disgraceful/p!ss poor can only go one way, can't it ??
I could understand today's 'performance' if half of those playing today were amongst the 20 leaving, but only 2 or 3 of todays team will not be here next season (and I include the on loan Exeter prop who got concussed via his chest today in that !). So why are we struggling for aggression in games ?
By A38
From The Times report on the game:-

"Ollie Lawrence was back from England duty for a rare Worcester appearance and he must wonder if his international chances are going to be hampered by Worcester’s many shortcomings."

and

"Jonathan Thomas, the head coach, revealed that 20 players would be leaving Worcester at the end of the season and admitted that it was an indefensible performance. He said: “I am fed up of saying the same thing. It is not acceptable and we have to get better at finishing opportunities in the best league in the world.

“The red card had an effect and we have to own that performance. Our supporters don’t deserve that kind of performance.”"

Don't think that there is anything to add to that really.
By TeflonTed
A38 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:14 am
From The Times report on the game:-

"Ollie Lawrence was back from England duty for a rare Worcester appearance and he must wonder if his international chances are going to be hampered by Worcester’s many shortcomings."

and

"Jonathan Thomas, the head coach, revealed that 20 players would be leaving Worcester at the end of the season and admitted that it was an indefensible performance. He said: “I am fed up of saying the same thing. It is not acceptable and we have to get better at finishing opportunities in the best league in the world.

“The red card had an effect and we have to own that performance. Our supporters don’t deserve that kind of performance.”"

Don't think that there is anything to add to that really.
I’d only add that the effect on upcoming season ticket renewals is predictable and likely to be severe.

Having thoroughly enjoyed several recent games as an unbiased neutral I’m asking myself hard questions about the future.
By Flumpty
20 players going !?!??!!!??! Have Wuss got a large squad, or is the Midalnds version of the Night of the Long Knives ?

If my memory is working properly, Sale talk of running with a squad of 34-36 ish.
By SixNineOne
I think most teams are aiming for senior squad numbers reduced to the high 30s, supplemented by academy players. I haven’t seen any statistics on it, but my impression is that we’ve seen more academy players featuring in Gallagher Premiership match day squads this year, which has to be encouraging.
By TeflonTed
Flumpty wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:24 pm
20 players going !?!??!!!??! Have Wuss got a large squad, or is the Midalnds version of the Night of the Long Knives ?

If my memory is working properly, Sale talk of running with a squad of 34-36 ish.
Our offie currently shows 46 + 12 academy.

This may or may not be accurate, frankly I’m past caring.
By Freypal
Given the statement that Worcester spend up to the cap, I'd have to assume it's either the cap spread over an abnormally large squad or a normal size squad of poor value... I can't work out which it is.
By TeflonTed
Freypal wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:19 am
Given the statement that Worcester spend up to the cap, I'd have to assume it's either the cap spread over an abnormally large squad or a normal size squad of poor value... I can't work out which it is.
It’s the larger squad. Even if my numbers above are not spot on, they must be close, unless our offie is as bad as our current form. As for value, a glance at the league table should give a clue!
By Warrior7
I'd expect the current 'confirmed' squad number of 34 for next season to be bolstered further, as Sale's squad of that number is of significantly higher quality.

As we have 8 confirmed signings (6 new players and 2 academy promotions), then I'm guessing we could see anywhere between 2 to 6 players brought in from this point? Very much hoping for some new locks to accompany Clegg (and possibly Batley, depending on where the coaches see him). Hopefully a new loosehead, too.
By A38
It is to be hoped that those announcements yet to come will be for players who would be First XV starters. In other words, they would increase the net value of the squad rather than simply replace like for like.
By ROLLO
Of the current known squad we are in need of proven quality at :
Stand Off
Lock
Loosehead
Inside centre
No 8
and if Sharky goes a tightead.
As I have said on the SN site at presnet we are signing mostly EQP. ( Is this a cash thing ? ) Are there sufficient EQP in these positions for us to sign? Look at the impact that none EQP have had at LI, Tigers and Sale.
By TeflonTed
And we must consider the recruitment difficulties that being perennial relegation fodder must have.

Quite how DVdM has agreed to come to us is something I’m still trying to work out.
By FlipFlop
Expect to see / hear DVDM will move on without a stop at Sixwsys. There is just no logic to it for him IMO given our obvious and significant flaws.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]