By TeflonTed
Bath responsible due to Covid.

Irish will be awarded 4 league points, Bath 2.
Score recorded as 0-0 for points difference etc.

Bath get 2 points they were unlikely to get on the day. And will they be ready for us on the 9th? Even if they’re clear of Covid their training will surely have been disrupted.

There are more questions than answers.

And we can’t complain, did we not get 3 matches awarded to us last season in similar circumstances?

Bloody Covid.
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:01 pm
And we can’t complain, did we not get 3 matches awarded to us last season in similar circumstances?
In my following comments I use the terms offender, innocent, guilty in very loose terms.

Certainly agree we benefitted last season, as did several others, although some profited more than us because we were so far adrift.
Some teams were both offender and non-offender at different times.

If my memory is working correctly we were never the offending team (ie Covid cases in our camp being the cause of the cancellation).
I'll stand corrected if someone has a better recollection.

I also recall if there was a clear 'offender' and 'non-offender' then the 'innocent' party were awarded 5 points and the 'guilty' party got nothing. Seems like a fairer reward system for better management of Covid safety measures/plans if nothing else.

I do fail to see how anyone could currently think, with any certainty, that Bath would come away from Irish with 2 points !
I know there is no relegation but I for one don't want to finish bottom again :no:
By Latecomer
Just noticed that Exeter have been awarded 5 pts and a 28-0 'win' over Bath for the cancelled Premiership Cup game last week.
It seems Bath are the guilty party not only because of Covid, but also due to not being able to field a team through injuries and unavailability.
Surely the outcome will be the same for the LI v Bath cancelled game ??
Will be interesting to see what happens when we 'play' them on Jan 9th :thinking:
I note they have already in the last week signed a Russian prop until the end of the season.
By TeflonTed
Confused.

This from premiershiprugby.com just now. If it’s changed then their own website surely should be updated?

Quote:-
Matches affected by COVID

The Premiership Rugby clubs have previously taken the view that fault existed where a club has to forfeit a game
But from the start of the 2020-21 season we will now focus on responsibility for cancellation rather than fault
So the decision of a Premiership Rugby panel when a game is cancelled for COVID reasons will be:
2 points to the team responsible
4 points to the team that wasn’t (responsible for the cancellation)
Ability to cancel a match In a change to last season’s regulations the Premiership Rugby clubs agreed that the Testing Oversight Group which has medical representation from the League, RFU and an independent source can now make a decision to cancel any match.”

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/n ... d-pandemic

Edit…..less confused now. Different rules for Cup competition seems to be the answer.
By A38
Equally confused.

Not sure how relevant this is, if at all, but the league table on the Premiership Rugby website has yet to note the cancelled Bath game. It does note the Newcastle / Sale game.

Maybe it's simply a matter of an updating delay over the extended New Year period.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... gue-table/

But behind all this I've just got my fingers crossed that Sixways continues to avoid IT, something which members of my family have been unable to do, so transmissible is the latest variant.
By SimonG
A38 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:57 am
Equally confused.

Not sure how relevant this is, if at all, but the league table on the Premiership Rugby website has yet to note the cancelled Bath game. It does note the Newcastle / Sale game.

Maybe it's simply a matter of an updating delay over the extended New Year period.

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... gue-table/

But behind all this I've just got my fingers crossed that Sixways continues to avoid IT, something which members of my family have been unable to do, so transmissible is the latest variant.
From looking at the official website from time to time they certainly do seem to be avoiding IT!

Hope your family feel better soon (if they are suffering symptoms).
By A38
Thank you. All well now - they had the cold symptoms which seem to be what most people are suffering.
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:43 am
Edit…..less confused now. Different rules for Cup competition seems to be the answer.
Well, I'm more confused now :doh:
I'd love to know the logic behind having different points allocation systems for the two competitions (that is if there IS any logic)
Last edited by Latecomer on Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TeflonTed
This one is intriguing indeed.

On the premiershiprugby.com website fixtures and results page this game now shows as “postponed” rather than cancelled.

Comparing this situation with that of the Falcons v Sale game due to have been played 26/12, which was cancelled, the prem website Panel Decisions page has a full written confirmation of the cancellation and points awarded, and that decision was posted on the day of the match.

It’s now 2 days since the Irish v Bath game was due to be played, and no panel decision has been published, and no future rearranged date announced, as far as I’m aware.

The London Irish offie shows the game as cancelled, the Bath offie has no news update.
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 am
This one is intriguing indeed.

On the premiershiprugby.com website fixtures and results page this game now shows as “postponed” rather than cancelled.

Comparing this situation with that of the Falcons v Sale game due to have been played 26/12, which was cancelled, the prem website Panel Decisions page has a full written confirmation of the cancellation and points awarded, and that decision was posted on the day of the match.

It’s now 2 days since the Irish v Bath game was due to be played, and no panel decision has been published, and no future rearranged date announced, as far as I’m aware.

The London Irish offie shows the game as cancelled, the Bath offie has no news update.
Perhaps it's just taking a while to work out a way of getting out of the hole they appear to be digging themselves into !
By SimonG
Latecomer wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:29 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:43 am
Well, I'm more confused now :doh:
I'd love to know the logic behind having different points allocation systems for the two competitions (that is if there IS any logic)
Logic and rugby administration? Come off it Latecomer!
Latecomer liked this
By TeflonTed
For anyone still wondering about the Irish v Bath game last week, there’s still no points allocation shown by Premiership Rugby, no panel decision, no comment.

Surely this should have been put to bed by now?

Bath have gone quiet, hoping they’ll get awarded 2 league points they probably wouldn’t have got on the day. Irish are basically saying where’s our feckin’ win then?

The game still shows as Postponed, not Cancelled on pr results and table.

Something is afoot, are Bath going to be given time to reassemble a healthy and fit squad after some rest and then play the fixture? and if so when?

This matters to us !
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:23 am
The game still shows as Postponed, not Cancelled on pr results and table.

Something is afoot, are Bath going to be given time to reassemble a healthy and fit squad after some rest and then play the fixture? and if so when?
I'm beginning to smell a rat too :thinking: , they do seem to be taking an inordinate amount of time to make an official announcement don't they ?
Can't imagine Irish will be too pleased if they have to squeeze another game in to an already overcrowded calendar.
By TeflonTed
LI poster Narbia comments on their forum :-

Sure looks as though there's something underhand going on. :shame:
I assume both that WW and Bath teams get announced at midday.
By SixNineOne
Presumably it’s like a game of chicken if neither is able to field a side - just wait until the other team admit their problem and then stay schtum, all the while saying how disappointed you are that your opponents are unable to play…
patgadd liked this
By Latecomer
Well, the decision is finally out there. As expected, Irish 4 pts and Bath 2 pts and 0 - 0 scoreline.
But why leave it until after today's game was finished before publishing it ?
Explanation anyone ?
By TeflonTed
Latecomer wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:09 pm
Well, the decision is finally out there. As expected, Irish 4 pts and Bath 2 pts and 0 - 0 scoreline.
Explanation anyone ?
You’ll be lucky.
By SixNineOne
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:08 pm
Latecomer wrote:
Explanation anyone ?
You’ll be lucky.
My only guess is that they had to do slightly more due diligence to establish Bath's inability to field a front row than might normally be the case. Presumably they have the option of denying the "guilty" team any points if they are not convinced that they made sufficient efforts to procure substitute players on loan from other clubs.
By Latecomer
SixNineOne wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:17 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:08 pm
Latecomer wrote:
Explanation anyone ?
You’ll be lucky.
My only guess is that they had to do slightly more due diligence to establish Bath's inability to field a front row than might normally be the case. Presumably they have the option of denying the "guilty" team any points if they are not convinced that they made sufficient efforts to procure substitute players on loan from other clubs.
Sounds plausible 691, but the timing of the statement (2 hours after Bath v Warriors finished) makes me curious :thinking:
Don't see that there's a conspiracy theory to be had here, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was !!
Never ending word association thread

Noise

Sale Sharks Supporters Club Event

Promises to be a great night. And we have the Shar[…]

30/12/23: Northampton 21 Sale 17 [GP]

RIP Deadly Derek Underwood. Spinner extraordinai[…]

Quins game

FWIW, Quins' fan podcast are suggesting that there[…]