OK, this is one person's opinion but I can't really fault much of his analysis.

What comes through though is his regard for a game which he wants to prosper - after a period of steady decline.

I share his pessimism about England's chances in France. He makes the point that it should be a watershed moment, that radical change is needed.

I would like to think that this would happen but I fear that the talk will simply be about personnel rather than structural issues. It will be about the coaches and individual players rather than seeing what can be learned from other countries and other sports.
The only caveat to this view is that The Disaster in France hasn’t actually happened yet.

The preceding 6N and International games indicate that the patient is indeed gravely ill, and for sure The Father should be called to the bedside, having refreshed his knowledge of the Last Rites.

But remember Lazarus.

As a Wales supporter with my own worries, I will observe how England get on with interest, and it will for sure be an interesting RWC from many perspectives.
England are pretty dreadful at the moment but have a very favourable draw so I can see us making the quarter-finals where will be only one fluky win away from the semis which would be considered a major success allowing us to carry on with more of the same.

Sadly carrying on with the same would me yet more crap but I can see it happening..
http://onceawasp.com/index.php/topic,6149.0.html

I have stolen this from the Wasps board.

Without getting into the "politics" of the situation it does look as though there have been discussions about the future of elite rugby in England - but discussions carried out behind closed doors.

Prem 2 does still appear to be on the table and a possible lifeline for both Wasps Mark 2 and WW Mark 2 might appear out of the mists one of these days. We think that we know who will grab such a lifeline for Wasps - but for WW?
TeflonTed wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:59 pm
That’s vicious timing, no way to support your country at a World Cup. And half the council signed it, no doubt the other half will be somewhat critical.
Mrs Flumpty was chatting to one of the signatories of the letter the other day - from her conversation, it boiled down to "stop starving the grassroots game of money and support, whilst spaffing millions of pounds on Twickenham, consultants, administrators and ancillary hangers on"
A38 liked this
Shame for Jersey of course.

Crunch time approaches for RFU, the dissenting voices on the council won’t go away.

And of course, nearer to home, Oct 9th approaches. Lockswood/Atlas May or may not settle the deferred payment.

If they do, will RFU take the opportunity to kill off forever the “rugby creditors” issue by creating Prem 2 and allowing the oh-so-important heritage brands itinerant pests to restart at level 2?

And, by the way, if Lockwood/Atlas don’t complete will Begbies tolerate a further extension?

Talking of wasps, the insect sort not the rugby club, there was a certain DoR in the premiership a few years ago who was known to pull faces like he was chewing wasps when displeased. (Which he often was)

How ironic if that DoR were yet again to be chewing wasps if Lockswood fail to complete and suddenly Begbies are looking for another buyer?
Two headlines in The Times today which speak volumes:-

RFU ignored Jersey's Peril

and

Blame for Jersey's demise lies at RFU's door.

The content of the articles merely amplify the sense of the headlines.

But that said, it would seem that the restructuring of "elite rugby" has been under discussion for quite a while - to include Premiership 2 on a franchise basis - but that little / no progress has been made. My guess would be that one of the reasons for the lack of progress would be all the various vested interests pulling in different directions.

Meanwhile there is a RFU council meeting today at which the letter from the 30 council members will be discussed. It will be recalled that the RFU executive was accused of "insufficient leadership".

PS

I have used the phrase "elite rugby" fairly loosely as I don't think it has been defined exactly although you see it often. My reading is that it has two meanings: the Premiership and the Championship in England or alternatively professional rugby in England. Not that it really matters, I suppose.

Sale FC 14 - 23 Leicester Lions - a very disappoin[…]

Falcons

Him not carding Care for a second time was crazy -[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]

Tom Curry OMG

I just hope he takes his time and is patient. Jus[…]