By A38
An article in The Times this morning reports that Hartley blames synthetic pitches for the injury that brought and end to his hopes of playing in the World Cup.

The pitch in question is at Sixways.

But it's not just Hartley who is concerned. The Rugby Players Association has calleds for no more new pitches to be installed until after further research.
By MikeGC
Every time I read a story about artificial pitches it makes me wonder about injury rates and locations at Worcester, Saracens and Falcons.
If an upward trend in injuries was noted by a club's medical and conditioning staff I would presume an re-think would have been in order at those clubs.

My little club self funded a 3G pitch 9 seasons ago.
With diligent maintenance and care it's still in good condition.
I haven't got access to the medical records of our players but it doesn't feel like we have lots of knee injuries.
Flumpty liked this
He’s quoted as saying:-
"I'd played the fortnight before and tweaked my knee in a game, then I played on an artificial pitch the following week and probably playing on an injury didn't help.”

Which gives a possible headline of “Hartley Blames Worcester Pitch”......

And an equally possible headline of “ Hartley blames own stupidity for wrecking World Cup chances”
MikeGC, TVM, Flumpty and 1 others liked this
By FlipFlop
Well our league position since the new pitch arrived does not suggest we are getting significant advantage from the pitch. Not sure how many of our injuries have been caused by our pitch rather than increased collisions in general in Rugby. The pitch isn't responsible for the no action regards Brexit, and will not, by itself, bring about World peace. You can fit events to circumstance and generally make a conspiracy. Saints have enjoyed visits to Sixways of late, so a re probably pretty chipper about the artificial surface.

Re Hartley, tweeked knee, and then played on next week, either with or against Med staff advice on the matter, but synthetic pitch of lowly Worcester happened to be the trigger. Was it our pitch at fault when he called Barnes a cheat, or our pitch that caused him to make contact around the eyes of opponent on 2 separate occasions.

The guy's a chump, and despite attempts by some in the past on 'The Forum', never did, and never will regard him as "one who got away" from the club.
TeflonTed wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am
He’s quoted as saying:-
"I'd played the fortnight before and tweaked my knee in a game, then I played on an artificial pitch the following week and probably playing on an injury didn't help.”

Which gives a possible headline of “Hartley Blames Worcester Pitch”......

And an equally possible headline of “ Hartley blames own stupidity for wrecking World Cup chances”
Yes the devil is in the detail and while I accept that playing with bumps and knocks will be common in a contact sport and in many other sports if you then injure that further you cannot blame a third factor.
TeflonTed liked this
By FlipFlop
TVM wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 pm
I very much like that you belvieve the artificial pitch has at least some role to play in bringing about world peace :)
In the future we will all marvel at gender fluid , non contact, virtual reality rugby played out before us only at night time, on a pitch that players no longer need to be present upon, whilst we gently sway to the Sixways muzak :headphones: of "I'd like to teach the world to sing" in the stands, and marvel at how a 4G pitch brought this all about, and gently doff our head wear in acknowledgement of the part it played in bringing about this 'peaceful' place. :hug: You heard it here first.
By SimonG
FlipFlop wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:15 pm
TVM wrote:
I very much like that you belvieve the artificial pitch has at least some role to play in bringing about world peace :)
In the future we will all marvel at gender fluid , non contact, virtual reality rugby played out before us only at night time, on a pitch that players no longer need to be present upon, whilst we gently sway to the Sixways muzak :headphones: of "I'd like to teach the world to sing" in the stands, and marvel at how a 4G pitch brought this all about, and gently doff our head wear in acknowledgement of the part it played in bringing about this 'peaceful' place. :hug: You heard it here first.
You may joke but we already have e-sports in football where clubs hire players to represent them in virtual games played in front of audiences. I also recall some bright spark suggesting it should be an Olympic sport.
By TVM
SimonG wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm
FlipFlop wrote:
TVM wrote:
You may joke but we already have e-sports in football where clubs hire players to represent them in virtual games played in front of audiences. I also recall some bright spark suggesting it should be an Olympic sport.
Don't get me started on blydi e-sports!

I am sure those who take part are very good at what they do, but it is not and never will be the real thing - and you see these participants acting like it is.

The F1 e sports series has drivers talking about atmosphere of a home race....it blydi pixels mate!

I cringed when I heard one gamer once in search of laptime talking about having to be more 'brave' through a certain corner at the Nurburgring. It's a computer game, you are in no physical danger. It does not require bravery.

I like a racing game as much as the next man - great time killers - but I know where to draw the line between that and realitty....... sorry. I'm glad i got that off my chest
By SimonG
TVM wrote:
SimonG wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:59 pm
FlipFlop wrote:
Don't get me started on blydi e-sports!

I am sure those who take part are very good at what they do, but it is not and never will be the real thing - and you see these participants acting like it is.

The F1 e sports series has drivers talking about atmosphere of a home race....it blydi pixels mate!

I cringed when I heard one gamer once in search of laptime talking about having to be more 'brave' through a certain corner at the Nurburgring. It's a computer game, you are in no physical danger. It does not require bravery.

I like a racing game as much as the next man - great time killers - but I know where to draw the line between that and realitty....... sorry. I'm glad i got that off my chest
With you entirely TVM but I'd rather watch e-sports than darts!
Team v Gloucester

Nah, I want Irish to do well in the European cups,[…]

Today's Game

How did the new boys Carey, Montgomery and Kitch[…]

keep the Egg Cup warm for me Teflon Ted Here ar[…]

Kendal ae showing consistency, but not of the sort[…]