By A38
The Times this morning has an article suggesting that some form of central contract scheme is being discussed. There is concern that a number of England international quality players have accepted or are considering taking contracts abroad - particularly in France where the money is better.

Central funds would be paid, the suggestion is, to the top clubs in an attempt to stop this trend.

My problem with this is that what limited money there is in the game is going towards already highly paid players, directly or indirectly, and that is one of the reasons why the game is in such a mess - salaries being too high.

But I suppose it's the RFU addressing one issue without seeing the broader picture. Plus ca change.
By TeflonTed
Have read the article, and the first thing that springs to mind is this.

“The deal will also allow Steve Borthwick, the head coach, greater control over those 20 England players in terms of conditioning, match appearances and skill development.”

Ask yourself how many times a season Sexton starts a game for Leinster?
By FarnhamShark
There are plenty of us who are far more interested in our Club than in Internationals, but I guess that the French money means that we'll lose players regardless, either to French clubs or to England. If the RFU loses sight of the game's roots, though, we'll all be the losers.
By Latecomer
FarnhamShark wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:08 pm
If the RFU loses sight of the game's roots, though, we'll all be the losers.
Let's be honest, they already have and some of us have already lost !
Use of future tense is not appropriate in this issue :)
SimonG liked this

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]

Falcons

Their team doesn't look that bad on paper. bu[…]

Tom Curry OMG

I just hope he takes his time and is patient. Jus[…]

Queen