By A38
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67011177

I note:-

The Covid pandemic "brutally exposed flaws" in any business models. However, Sweeney said it was not the RFU's role to "prop up failing businesses" like Wasps, Worcester and London Irish.

I think it's too complacent to blame Covid. The flaws in business models were there before the pandemic - overreliance on "sugar daddies" mainly - and whilst I do accept that clubs should not expect the RFU to "prop them up" it should have had a more robust role in monitoring what was going on. Should Worcester have been allowed, for instance, to start the 22/23 season at all?
By TeflonTed
Maybe if the RFU/PRL had read the situation more accurately in the first place there would have been fewer flawed business models.

Even the most cursory examination of revenue v costs from the very outset of the professional era would have shown the almost total reliance being put on SDF (Sugar Daddy Financing).

If the salary cap had been instituted earlier, and at a level which could be supported by revenue, we would be in an entirely different situation.

But the total focus on Twickers and the national side which is now so evident, along with the cosy relationships with the SD’s of a few clubs, are totally ruined the structure of the game in England.

The RFU, and to a lesser extent, the PRL, are a shambles and an utter disgrace.
By SimonG
Some very good points in the above two posts. I also noted the almost total emphasis on the professional side of the game in Sweeney's comments almost totally ignoring the fact that the recent call for a vote of no confidence came from the lower level clubs that the RFU are supposed to represent.

I take TT's point about the salary cap but the fact that the RFU & PRL allowed Saracens to cheat for years and years before the dreaded Daily Mail forced them to at least do something (although in effect very little) to try to stop it to my mind shows an earlier cap wouldn't have achieved much other than perhaps allowed Saracens to steal more trophies as other clubs abided by the restriction. The cheating and the fact that those who orchestrated it are still in place tarnished the league and must act as a deterrent to many prospective investors/sponsors etc.

A38's point about Covid is well made and whereas there is much the RFU has done wrong I don't see why they should take the blame for the appalling management at most professional clubs over the years although they could have insisted on proper financial plans being in place before clubs were allowed to start their seasons rather than adopt their usual practice of turning a blind eye.

It is interesting to note that the mix of appalling financial management and total delusion seems not to be limited to the Premiership reading the recent comments coming out of Jersey who appear to be still blaming the State and other investors for their downfall rather than taking a long look in the mirror.
Never ending word association thread

Seven https://youtu.be/0e4Odk-v3oU?si=7nsF0jSeZinF[…]

Falcons

Not sure the citing comission can get involved - y[…]

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]