By poyntonshark
England v France and NZ v Italy games have been cancelled due to typhoon Hagibis.

BBC Sport Website

Games on Sunday, including Scotland v Japan, are in danger, depending on damage caused by Hagibis. If Scotland v Japan is not played then Scotland will be eliminated. Ireland v Samoa on Saturday is currently set to go ahead.

Tournament Director Alan Gilpin
Gilpin says there are "no regrets" about bringing the tournament to Japan during typhoon season.

"What we have seen over the last three weeks absolutely in every respect vindicates the right decision to be here in Japan.

"It's been an incredible tournament on and off the field and we always knew there were going to be risks.

"It is rare for a typhoon of this magnitude to cause this impact this late on the typhoon season."

I'm undecided about this. Does the quality of the tournament thus far (and it has been excellent) make up in any way for not being able to fulfil RWC finals fixtures for the first time? Surely not completing all fixtures leaves a taint on the whole tournament. NZ v Italy not being played probably has little impact on the tournament, NZ will still top the group, with SA in second and Italy third, no material change. England v France though would decide first and second in the group and therefore makeup of quarter-final matches and extras like travel etc. That surely isn't an insignificant impact.

Scotland or anyone else, being eliminated through inability to complete fixture would surely be unacceptable to anyone including Japanese Rugby. Scotland Rugby seems to believe that steps would be taken to ensure their fixture is played, somewhere, somehow, but this doesn't appear to have been confirmed by RWC.
By TeflonTed
It’s a tricky one for Japanese management isn’t it?

If any other team than the home nation were involved in this level of uncertainty you’d have to say done deal. The rules are in place, 2pts. each. Scotland...tough.

But some will argue that the game could be played else where, massive inconvenience re. transport and hotels etc, but this is Japan!

I predict as much stormy weather in the media as around the typhoon itself.
By MikeGC
I think one could argue that the RWC committee should have realised that it would be typhoon season around about now and scheduled the tournament differently.
But they didn’t, and it looks to have bitten them on the bum.

I understand from the oracle that is twatter that the individual unions agreed to lots of the "what ifs" so some of it’s on them, too.

I must say I feel most sorry for Sergio Parisse, denied his "swan song" and his final standing ovation.
By Flumpty
MikeGC wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:55 pm

I must say I feel most sorry for Sergio Parisse, denied his "swan song" and his final standing ovation.
#8 for the BaaBaas against Fiji, 16th Nov at HQ ?
By chris1850
I wonder what the reaction would be if NZ were currently in 3rd place in their group, needing to beat Italy to qualify?

If the decision is taken to call off the Scotland game, I cant see how the organisers can legitimately reschedule/relocate it, given the decisions already taken for Saturdays games. I realise that England & France have already qualified and that it would have taken a miracle for Italy to qualify, so calling these off from a results perspective is hardly controversial. More contentious for the Jocks though.
By Flumpty
chris1850 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:21 pm
I wonder what the reaction would be if NZ were currently in 3rd place in their group, needing to beat Italy to qualify?

More contentious for the Jocks though.
"Unlucky AB's".
By MikeGC
Flumpty wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm
MikeGC wrote:

Hardly the same thing as New Zealand at the World Cup
By Flumpty
MikeGC wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:50 pm
Flumpty wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm
MikeGC wrote:

you're right, it isn't the same. The BaaBaas games at HQ seem to feature one final run out for a retiring player, which seems very fitting.
Hardly the same thing as New Zealand at the World Cup
By Leipziger
Italy might've needed a miracle to go through but surely they deserve the right to try. To say it doesn't matter because they are unlike to beat NZ is beside the point. Absolutely ridiculous that the game couldn't be played on another day and/or in another city, even behind closed doors. The tournament and World Rugby have lost a lot of credibility and I expect Italy (and Scotland if their game is called off) will be justifiably considering legal action.

Of course, if Japan v Scotland is rescheduled/relocated after NZ v Italy wasn't, then we might as well abolish World Rugby and start again.
Duncan Keene liked this
By poyntonshark
I confess I did not realise that Italy still had a mathematical chance of qualification. To be denied their chance, no matter how slim, is a travesty in my book. However, I would have thought that talk of legal action is way wide of the mark. Surely all nations sign up to the tournament rules, which state that cancelled games are deemed as 0 - 0 draws.
Flumpty liked this
By poyntonshark
It would appear that not only does Scotland have issues with the results of referenda, but they appear to believe that they do not need to follow World Rugby's rules either.

Scotland consider legal challenge

Whilst I have sympathy with their possible plight, there may yet be nothing to see here, they have signed a participation agreement, they surely must abide by that.
By SimonG
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 am
It would appear that not only does Scotland have issues with the results of referenda, but they appear to believe that they do not need to follow World Rugby's rules either.

Scotland consider legal challenge

Whilst I have sympathy with their possible plight, there may yet be nothing to see here, they have signed a participation agreement, they surely must abide by that.
The thing to remember is that as far as Scottish Rugby is concerned Dodson speaks for no one other than his cronies.
By ageinghoody
Leipziger wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Italy might've needed a miracle to go through but surely they deserve the right to try. To say it doesn't matter because they are unlike to beat NZ is beside the point. Absolutely ridiculous that the game couldn't be played on another day and/or in another city, even behind closed doors. The tournament and World Rugby have lost a lot of credibility and I expect Italy (and Scotland if their game is called off) will be justifiably considering legal action.

Of course, if Japan v Scotland is rescheduled/relocated after NZ v Italy wasn't, then we might as well abolish World Rugby and start again.
A bigger miracle than Japan beating the Boks or Ireland maybe!
Falcons

Not on TNT??? I think it's PRTV only

Richards

Heaton Moor 2nds 54 Congleton 2nds 17. KO 12 n[…]

Decent enough program. Wish more clubs would do it[…]