By TeflonTed
Just got home from a very enjoyable (and very long) breakfast with a gang of long-suffering Wuss season ticket holders.

A regular event which gives us the opportunity to discuss in depth our second decade of relative lack of progress up the premiership table, and several other matters which would probably get us in court if written down.

One subject raised concerned the traffic on this forum, and the relatively high number of “views” and presence of logged-on names who are clearly reading but not posting.

So here’s a general invitation to regular lurkers (a term of endearment really) to make yourselves known. If you read but don’t write it’s always interesting to know why, even if you think we’re just a bunch of self-opinionated idiots with nothing better to do.

Which may be relatively close to the truth.
By C.M.O.T. Dibbler
Hi all.
I'm a self-confessed lurker who visits the site on a daily basis.
I'm a long-term season ticket holder in the East Stand close to Schneiderlein (whose input I miss).
I have posted occasionally in the past, but only if I feel I have something worthwhile to say.
I always attend the supporters evening events and would love to join the "Breakfast Club" if you have room for another long-suffering supporter.
By TeflonTed
C.M.O.T. Dibbler wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:50 pm
Hi all.
I'm a self-confessed lurker who visits the site on a daily basis.
I'm a long-term season ticket holder in the East Stand close to Schneiderlein (whose input I miss).
I have posted occasionally in the past, but only if I feel I have something worthwhile to say.
I always attend the supporters evening events and would love to join the "Breakfast Club" if you have room for another long-suffering supporter.
New blood always welcome!

pm sent.

Lurkers of the world unite.......
By Abmatt
I have noticed of late the board had started to go a bit stale.

So much so I started posting on COYW again. Prior I had kept monitoring there also. I think the split between the two forums has had a detrimental effect on both boards.
Neiljk liked this
By TeflonTed
Abmatt wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 pm
I have noticed of late the board had started to go a bit stale.

So much so I started posting on COYW again. Prior I had kept monitoring there also. I think the split between the two forums has had a detrimental effect on both boards.
This was always going to be likely, and was predicted. We can’t rewrite history.

Personally I’m happy with the quality of discussion on this site, and given the number of views and visitor numbers there’s significant potential for an increase in contributors.
By live in hope
Stop posting on the old site as just didn’t think some of the post were healthy & tended to be full of the brown stuff. Took a wee holiday, come back last month & noticed a few changes.
I have a look now & again, still think a lot is brown stuff, but less so.
Warrior7 liked this
By TeflonTed
live in hope wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:15 pm
Stop posting on the old site as just didn’t think some of the post were healthy & tended to be full of the brown stuff. Took a wee holiday, come back last month & noticed a few changes.
I have a look now & again, still think a lot is brown stuff, but less so.
LiH, good to hear you’re alive and well!

There are many differences between the feel of this site and how I remember the old one. Several posters there had at least 2 identities, and were prone to arguing with themselves to increase traffic.

ps....edit....and also don’t overlook the posters who have a different id on here to SN. I could name 3 regulars with certainty but wouldn’t dream of doing so. The pool of regular (pretty well daily) posters was surprisingly small before the split, and still is.
By Litzy Cole
I am a lurker on your board, but only because I am a Sale fan. I don't feel qualified to comment, but I am interested in what you have to say.
By TeflonTed
ROLLO wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:52 am
I post as ROLLO on both sites and ShedWeb.
Which I applaud. And do exactly similar myself.

If it doesn’t say Ted on the post, it isn’t Ted on the keyboard.
By patgadd
Just to be clear; when I joined SN, I was too thick to realise immediately that I could invent a user name, so used my email, patgadd. It then penetrated my brain that I could call myself what I liked, and rejoined under the name Balatro (Latin for jester). I did then spend a bit of time raising the odd point and then arguing with myself as Balatro and it was fun, but didn't last long. Also the moderator was aware and wouldn't have let me get away with anything too outre. Balatro is presumably still registered with SN, but I don't even look at the site now. Apart from weirdos such as myself with a perverted sense of humour, I can't see the point of having two noms de plume.
By TeflonTed
Pat, we both know for certain that dual identities (or triple) have been used to stimulate traffic at certain times and to bolster certain views or create imaginary debates.
By BehindThePosts
Personally I think it's a matter of having something valuable and new to contribute. Or not. If yes, then I'll happily post. If not, then I won't. Usually by the time I read posts, I'm home from work, have decompressed from the day, eaten and relaxed for a couple of hours, so most of what I would say has already been said by others and I don't bother. Doesn't mean that the discussion isn't of interest though. I thoroughly enjoy reading through and occasionally commenting on posts.
By TeflonTed
BehindThePosts wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:38 pm
Personally I think it's a matter of having something valuable and new to contribute. Or not. If yes, then I'll happily post. If not, then I won't. Usually by the time I read posts, I'm home from work, have decompressed from the day, eaten and relaxed for a couple of hours, so most of what I would say has already been said by others and I don't bother. Doesn't mean that the discussion isn't of interest though. I thoroughly enjoy reading through and occasionally commenting on posts.
That’s good to know BTP.

It certainly helps others enjoy the discussion when there’s a wider range of comment.
By poyntonshark
dinogyro wash your keyboard with soap! As a Sale fan, you are qualified to comment on anything and everything. Have at them, man!

In any case, they are a friendly, even welcoming bunch here, they really don't seem to mind us sticking our noses in every now and then. That Ted fella can be a bit snappy occasionally, but he's Welsh you know, we must make allowances.
By TeflonTed
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:29 pm
dinogyro wash your keyboard with soap! As a Sale fan, you are qualified to comment on anything and everything. Have at them, man!

In any case, they are a friendly, even welcoming bunch here, they really don't seem to mind us sticking our noses in every now and then. That Ted fella can be a bit snappy occasionally, but he's Welsh you know, we must make allowances.
I’ll take that as a compliment. :) :)
By Litzy Cole
poyntonshark wrote:

I am a recent Sale fan (and to rugby, since 17/18 season) and therefore I have stuck to our own board. Perhaps I may 'stick my nose in' and post something on Warriors' board in the future.

Well, I'd be snappy if I had to follow Wales too.
By TeflonTed
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:44 pm
poyntonshark wrote:

I am a recent Sale fan.......Well, I'd be snappy if I had to follow Wales too.
It was blessing way back when I were a lad.....one just has to persist!!
By Alex
One thing we haven't yet tried is social media, this could help to attract new people into the forum and increase discussion but I'd need some help with it.

If anyone is interested feel free to let me know?
By OverTheBorder
Very similar to BehindthePost. By the time I get home most of the discussion is had and I’ve not got much to add.

I throw out the odd “likes” though.

Finding this season quite strange though and feel really flat about our constant lack of progression and don’t want to be a doom monger on here.

Good to see LinH post though
Latecomer liked this
By Underdog
Some interesting thoughts, and nice to see different names cropping up. My only issue with the SN site is the ads as they seem to lie in wait until I click to view a thread or the reply button and then leap under my finger or thumb. It's hardly an ordeal but it's just irritating.

In terms of posts and topics, I don't know if anyone else watches the Squidge rugby videos on youtube, but I love his tactical analysis of games. I'd like to do some of that on here, but my insight is nowhere near good enough. Maybe we could do a group focus on a particular player or tactic before and after games. I will happily start them off for home games, but don't expect any observations you haven't already all noticed.
Warrior7 liked this
By TeflonTed
Underdog, that’s a great idea. No doubt we’ll all see certain incidents differently.

Just like Matthew Carley accepted the assistant’s call at Wales v France instead of going to TMO concerning a blatant deliberate knock on, as confirmed later by every pundit you can find.

We was robbed!!
By Try try again
My name is Try Try Again and I'm a Lurker.

I don't live in the Worcester area though I used to. I played in my youth to a reasonable level. My highlight being playing at Twickenham in the UNiversities Cup final ( we lost) Sometime in the late '70s.

I'm not poor but I don't have a lot of cash to splash so I rarely come to 6ways and can't justify Sky or BT sport to myself let alone my wife.

This site, together with the SN forum and supporters FB page is a useful scource of new information and opinion. I find the Worcester News website too advert intrusive and often don't bother with it.

I don't really have a lot to say, regular posters are well informed, have been to matches and seen what's going on so I read, learn and inwardly digest much as I do with the newspapers in my favourite coffee shop. I can't remember contributing to their columns either.

But this thread has encouraged me to post a bit more, perhaps.

To All who are going I hope you enjoy today's match and I look forward to reading your post match opinions.

Ta Ta for now.

TTA
Underdog, OverTheBorder liked this
By Neiljk
I used to view and post reasonably regularly in SN. I occasionally look here and on SN, but it’s very quiet and frankly I’m a bit disillusioned with how a small number fractured what was a reasonably sized community to strand a chunk of the traffic on here.
By FlipFlop
Neiljk wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 pm
I used to view and post reasonably regularly in SN. I occasionally look here and on SN, but it’s very quiet and frankly I’m a bit disillusioned with how a small number fractured what was a reasonably sized community to strand a chunk of the traffic on here.
Surely the remaining SN community generate plenty of traffic to not miss the equivalent chunk of traffic on here, let alone hold us responsible for negatively impacting ‘traffic ’ on there.
By Neiljk
The facts are FlipFlop that moving here split the community which has negatively impacted both. I wouldn’t be that surprised if both are tumbleweed within a year.

The respective personalities on both sides are responsible for that I’m afraid, and it’s a shame.
By FlipFlop
Neiljk, not sure many here view their ongoing chat as negatively impacted by being here if i’m honest.

Probably those posting on SN feel the same.

One thing that will help traffic on both is folk posting comment instead of observing.

Now i’m not going to force anyone but that is the only thing that’ll breathe life into two declining boards that you observe.

If this board had not arisen, I sense the traffic on the SN would have dwindled anyway if management of it was as it is now, no matter how well intentioned to motives.

However this is a choice folk make.
By TheThirdR
I have been an occasional poster, but am not even a lurker these days, more of a dipper.

I welcomed (what I thought was) the move to this board because SN was driving me up the wall on my phone, and practically unusable for the ads. Oddly, it was not too bad on a PC, but I rarely use a PC these days. Neither board has enough input these days for me to look very often, which is a shame.

I think the low numbers on both boards is down to things like the Facebook supporters groups as much as the politics.
By TeflonTed
How nice to hear from several new posters over the last few days.

Coincidence? Hardly.

I’m not going to enter into a rerun of recriminations about forum splits, those who were around know exactly what happened, those who weren’t couldn’t care less and will be judging this forum on the quality of comment.
By Neiljk
Sigh.

These aren’t recriminations. You might not like it TT but this whole split board thing has damaged the size of the community. Those involved on both sides can’t and shouldn’t distance themselves from the consequences.

I for one am sorry it’s ended up like this and I suspect both boards will die. Silly and unnecessary imho.

It’s then somewhat ironic that you muse on why the lack of discussion and participation.
By Ms. Citlalli Kiehn DDS
Neiljk, you are exactly why boards may die. Instead of accepting that something has happened you are going into meltdown and moaning like the old proverbial.

Perhaps you should just accept that people make choices that you might not agree with but this opens up the opportunity for you to contribute to a number of “conversations” or you can choose to only contribute where you want to.

I, for one, have appreciated your rugby posts in the past. I’m finding your non rugby posts unhelpful.
By Neiljk
Ah well.

I just find people pondering a situation they have had a part in causing exasperating. I also find it as you say unhelpful to have had this position brought about by a vote by a small section of the community in a quiet period.

I don’t agree with the split and while I appreciate some might find my bringing it up unhelpful I feel it’s worth remembering why we are in this position.
By Neiljk
I don’t really get your point. I’m not here to be helpful or to conform or to serve any point of view.

I’m just expressing my view that the reason for the low posts is in large part due to a split. At some level that’s pretty unarguable, is it not?

No one is having any meltdowns, I’m just expressing my view point on a thread on why posts are low. I don’t get why that’s deemed unhelpful unless you’d rather that I just shut up and accepted the status quo?
By The Ledbury one
May I suggest that perhaps the fall in traffic which can be seen on most if not all social media sites, may not be down to splits but reflect the the teams results.
In the past, when results have been more positive, we’ve seen more traffic across the various media formats it mirrors match day attendances
I for one will admit to being susceptible to this having forgone my season ticket this year and attending certain games, but every game that I usd to attend. Frustration I guess.
I do prefer this site as a user, but do miss the interaction with one teams sites, but I guess you can’t have it all.
BehindThePosts liked this
By BehindThePosts
You know what? There's too much axe-grinding going on.

This debate is tiresome don't you agree?

Let's boil it down. A group of people felt that a website had too many adverts and was clunky to use so decided to use a different one. Wow! Big surprise there.

Neil - it's time to move on mate. You can't keep blaming them for the difficulties on that site. It wasn't that long ago that two forums existed quite successfully in parallel. The fact is that having different forums now isn't the problem. The content and maybe even - dare I say it - those posting the content (or even the lurkers like me not posting it) are the problem.

Ultimately if traffic drops to a level that either site is no longer of interest then hopefully folk will join forces again. But nobody can force them to do so. If people don't want clunky advert heavy websites then they won't use them. That's simple market forces. Ease of use of sites with easy to use apps like Facebook will ultimately kill off 'old skool' forums like this anyway.
TeflonTed liked this
By Neiljk
I have no axe to grind, but it’s not true that the two sites existed in parallel without issues. There was a brief honeymoon period then interest has dropped.

Other social media may kill boards like this over time, but others are thriving. I now don’t really post on either sight, I occasionally pop in to look and this thread caught my eye. At least I’ve encouraged some interaction...
By Alex
There also wasn't supposed to be a split, there was a vote and people were content to move. It was only when a certain poster wanted to be a mod on here then realised he could take over on the old one that a split actually happened.

This could have been totally avoided but here we are and it happened. We've just got to do what's best for VFT22 and encourage new members to join in with the discussions, I'm all ears on how to make that happen.
By Neiljk
A small number of people voted to move in a quiet period Alex. That “vote” imho has no legitimacy. Also why are we bothered about what’s best for VFT22? I follow Worcester and I support that club. I don’t support or participate in any factions I’m just miffed that between them some of the adults in the room appear to have dealt the board community a heavy blow.

Many people haven’t bothered to move or have drifted off, in marked contrast to the Tiggers board who had the good sense and foresight not to move. I guess if there had been consensus and agreement we wouldn’t be where we are now.
By west brom warrior
The old forum was a bad place due to the behavior of 1 poster, I had stopped posting on there on lurked occasionally. On this forum while there is different views its done in a respectful manor with a sense of humour. For me the usability of this forum and its de-cluttered look is 10 times better than Sports Network and while I wish that more posters from the old forum would move over I certainly don't miss the odd one of them.
Alex, SimonG, W4rriorz1980 and 1 others liked this
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]