Nick Isekwe (Gloucester/Sale)
Alex Lozowski (Bath/Sale)
Vincent Koch (Sale/Super Rugby/France)
Nick Tompkins (PRO14)
Will Skelton (Super Rugby, France)
Joel Kpoku (Northampton Saints)
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:47 am
always thought Ben Spencer was a very good all round player - surprised he never had more joy in the England setup

Alex L would be very good - however if I was him I would be more keen going to a club where I would be a 'starter'
Don’t you think he’d be a likely starter for us?
I could see him overtaking Luke for first reserve (not that I'd agree with it - Luke is one of my favourite players) just based on experience levels and also covering 10 (in addition to centre/fullback), but not Sam.

I'm a fan of Loz, but I think i'd only be looking his way seriously if either:
AJ is leaving (still years on his contract, though)
He comes real cheap (unlikely considering the Sarries contracts have payout clauses that apparently they're asking the new clubs to cover)

Isiekwe would be the one I'd be most excited to see arrive
Last edited by Olyy on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:21 am
No I don't think so.

He pretty much plays in nearly every position from 10-15 though seems to favour centre

Our first choice centres are normally Sam and Rohan, if Rohan isn't fit then Luke comes in.

Can't see him leapfrogging Rohan or either James brother
I can see him playing instead of Rohan if we want to alter our style of play. I can also see AL at 15 in games where we want more of a creative ball player there. Give us three options: attack of Ashton, solidity of Hammersley or creativity of Lozowski.
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:21 am
No I don't think so.

He pretty much plays in nearly every position from 10-15 though seems to favour centre

Our first choice centres are normally Sam and Rohan, if Rohan isn't fit then Luke comes in.

Can't see him leapfrogging Rohan or either James brother
I think part of what I mean is that there’s always someone injured and a guy like that would end up starting a majority of games.
MikeGC wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 am
w.r.t. Lozowski - maybe the recruitment conversation goes....

"if you come to Sharks you will be the back-up stand-off, how do you feel about that ?"
Manage his expectations and Sharks' expectations from the initial contact
Yeah imagine it was just like that 😀
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:44 pm
MikeGC wrote:

"if you come to Sharks you will be the back-up stand-off, how do you feel about that ?"
I imagined the conversation MIGHT go like that IF sharks approached him.
He offers something different to Sam. It’s an issue that Sam is a nailed on starter. He’s been playing well, but no competition for places isn’t healthy.

AJ has another year. Would be amazed if he stayed but Lozowski wouldn’t be an answer at 10 I don’t think. Doesn’t play there much anymore.
MikeGC wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:06 pm
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:44 pm
MikeGC wrote:

I imagined the conversation MIGHT go like that IF sharks approached him.
Please tell me you weren’t being serious....
Agree with @Olyy that Isiekwe would be the one I would go for if we can only have one.

But, I think Lozowski is an outstanding midfielder and I'd love to see him at Sale.

I think the James brothers are both fantastic but I think that if every one was on top form, Lozowski and RJVR would be our best centre pairing. And Lozowski would still merit playing 12 instead of RJVR at times to enable a different game plan.

I think Lozowski would also merit a lot of game time at 15. I don't think either Ashton or Hammersley offer us the full package at 15.

I also think Lozowski would merit a bit of game time at 10, putting really good competitive pressure on Dan DP. In terms of that meaning AL would to some extent replace AJ, I think it has to be said that AJ's exit is a matter of when rather than if.
AndaleManito liked this
I think AL would give us lots of options, and as Keg says I’m sure he’d get plenty of game time with rotation and injuries. I suppose the limiting factor might be whether he’s happy to move around the positions or if he wants to stick to one, his flexibility hasn’t helped him nail a starting place at Sarries.
Mills doesn't currently make the Wuss starting lineup and they aren't exactly setting the world alight. Their fans are sad to see a good servant go but don't expect to miss him terribly. He is or has been, a talented player and the move may be exactly what his career needs right now, but given the choice, I'd take Lozowski every time. (I know it is unlikely to be such a simple choice).

edit- Typically as I type the above, Mills is named to start for Wuss against Leicester this weekend.
Mills has had a couple of really good seasons but in and out this year, I think as Olly says this has been largely due to injuries. I’d prefer lozowski as he’s more versatile but I think Mills would be a good addition at the right salary as a squad player

Farting

Quins game

From what I remember from Axe's media talk before […]

Was sadly unable to make it, hope all went well :[…]

30/12/23: Northampton 21 Sale 17 [GP]

RIP Deadly Derek Underwood. Spinner extraordinai[…]