By iBozz
If you are self isolating, or staying at home more than usual, and are thus bored utterly rigid like me, then there are some free on-line streaming services of drama and music which should continue for the duration of the current restrictions.

The first asks for donations to Charity (and why not) and I have yet to explore the others.

If you find anything similar on-line then please post links below. I am connected with a Charity which supports people with Multiple Sclerosis and they are at very high risk and almost all confined to their homes in isolation. The more distractions they can have the better their wellbeing.

Shows, music and opera

Classical music

Other music

I have yet to explore the last one as it goes live "today" US time so when I last checked it wasn't yet functioning. I expect it will be up and running very soon.

And I know that no-one on here will have been panic buying, but this is a pretty powerful video from the BBC:

Nurse's despair
By Monty9
I live in Barcelona where we have been on lockdown for a week now, with home schooling and a 4 month old puppy it’s not the easiest but we are making the most of it. I’m usually back in the UK every couple of weeks so that’s not happening for a while as they are suggesting it will go on till the end of April at least here.

Instead of stock piling on food, as the supermarkets stay open during a lockdown and that is actually our only way of leaving the house each day I wish I had have gone to the DIY store before the shut down so I would have been able to do things at home that I haven’t had the time for previously. That would be my recommendation for people, get down to B&Q.

Stay safe everyone
By DaveAitch
Anyone with an interest in classic radio comedy from the 50s 60s should have a look at 'Internet Archive' https://archive.org/index.php. Do a search in the lower box on the screen, for, say, 'Round The Horne'. The full series is there to listen to or download, as is 'Beyond Our Ken'. Also, radio "thrillers" such as Paul Temple and Lord Peter Wimsey can be accessed.
It's not the best laid out website for finding things, but there are riches to be had with a little searching.

ISIHAC, if you have a clue what that means, has pretty much every episode here http://www.bennewsam.co.uk/ISIHAC.html
I should add that there are other comedy series on this site, including the Goons and the earlier mentioned Hornes.
iBozz liked this
By eBike
You could do a lot worse than get on to BBC Sounds where there's a wealth of stuff, ancient and modern.

I use Sounds while at the gym (though I've knocked that on the head as, out of 23 people at my last visit, only 3 cleaned their hands/apparatus) GROSS.

Anyway, Sounds Comedy section has some excellent stuff and a bit of searching turns up gems such as "Round The Horne", some fabulous Maureen Lipman monologues, the brilliant Mark Steele as well some modern stuff like the News Quiz.
Plus of course there the 5 Live Rugby Weekly podcast :evillaugh:
iBozz liked this
By SimonG
Also worth mentioning BBC iplayer which is being loaded with additional content such as every series of Spooks which I am looking forward to watching as I didn't catch up with it until it had been running for a while.
By Lord Elpus
eBike wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:31 pm
You could do a lot worse than get on to BBC Sounds where there's a wealth of stuff, ancient and modern.

I use Sounds while at the gym (though I've knocked that on the head as, out of 23 people at my last visit, only 3 cleaned their hands/apparatus) GROSS.

Anyway, Sounds Comedy section has some excellent stuff and a bit of searching turns up gems such as "Round The Horne", some fabulous Maureen Lipman monologues, the brilliant Mark Steele as well some modern stuff like the News Quiz.
Plus of course there the 5 Live Rugby Weekly podcast :evillaugh:
Not to mention the Goon Show, ISIHAC and ISIRTA all on Radio 4 Extra.

Enjoying the PR full match video - every time I watch we win.

If you haven't seen it live Craith/Hidden Series 2 (BBC4) as well as the original Series 1 are on the iPlayer.
iBozz liked this
By eBike
Good to see that someone else has enjoyed Craith/Hidden. Series 1 was way up there with The Bridge/The Killing*. Series 2 ends this weekend but hasn't quite hit the Noir of series 1 but is extremely watchable , original and atmospheric.

Cady John may not be Saga Noren to Sarah Lund but not by much

* by Killing I mean the real one, the Nordic Noir, not the American version.
By Major Bloodnok
Enjoying Hidden. As said, series 2 not as dark or tense as series 1, but still nicely gloomy. I recently rewatched all three series of Hinterland on Netflix - unfortunately, they only have the all-English version. It's OK, Netflix, we're grown-up, we can cope with bits of the dialog in a different language and subtitles.

At least the all-English version was the same actors doing the alternative filming: I watched the first series of Dark on Netflix a while back. Nearly gave up after 10 minutes, until I discovered the setting for original German with subtitles. Trust me, do not attempt to watch the dubbed version. The dubbing actors can't even pronounce the German names correctly when they have the original actors pronouncing them for them right there.

Speaking of The Bridge (oh, I miss Saga...), Martin (Kim Bodnia) will be in series 2 of The Witcher on Netflix.

And for the sci-fi fans, ignore the haters, Star Trek: Picard is pretty good.
By DaveAitch
Do you think that those of an age should amend the thread title?

I have a significant percentage of international rugby (and some other sports) from the last 30+ years recorded. I can watch several games a day till this thing blows over. It's not much help to anyone else though.
By Lord Elpus
Hinterland fans will be pleased to know that Natasha/Nocasha solved the mystery of the missing bunting in Ambridge long before PC Burns did.........and, of course the Chief Constable became Faith's d-i-l in Keeping Faith. :rockon:
By iBozz
From Thursday, 2nd April The National Theatre will be streaming free at 7:00pm every Thursday with the performance available for seven days afterwards.

NT youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ntdiscovertheatre

Article explaining the offer: https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/N ... e-20200326

What's not like?
By iBozz
As their concert at The MEN Arena is cancelled, The Blossoms (Stockport's band made good) are streaming their gig at The Stockport Plaza in February this year at 8:00pm on Saturday, 28th March here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSagtDI ... 9c2UCQ5xwE

And before you ask, the show went perfectly, I wasn't working it! :mrgreen:

Shortly after Ken Dodd died he was due to play The Plaza again (he was one of our Patrons) The Blossoms booked the vacated slot and played a concert. Over the PA at the end they played a Ken Dodd song, a wonderful tribute to a much loved performer - we shall not see his like again. And well done The Blossoms for showing such respect.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview som[…]

Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]