https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/H ... even-days/

Through the blessings of social media, there are some who are convinced that 5G and the associated masts are spreading the virus.

But such urban myths are nothing new.

The link above is quite topical as it deals with the 11 days urban myth, why the tax year starts tomorrow and gives a clue as to why Easter is where it is on the calendar.
The 5G scare is barely believable isn’t it?

The only conclusion I can draw is that people who believe this are even more stupid than those in medieval times who thought if you dunked ladies suspected of witchcraft into the village pond and they came up still alive the were obviously witches. And could therefore be hanged, burned, or simply tortured to death.

Now, I don’t mind people being so stupid as to believe that 5G towers transmit Coronavirus, but I do mind when they are allowed to publish such nonsense in social media, where equally stupid people believe them and go out and try to burn down 5G towers.
TeflonTed wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:16 pm
The only conclusion I can draw is that people who believe this are even more stupid than those in medieval times who thought if you dunked ladies suspected of witchcraft into the village pond and they came up still alive the were obviously witches.
You mean they weren't?
Oops, sorry Mrs Smith of Ombersley!
Between 1066 and 1560 (that covers medieval doesn't it?) only 6 people were executed for witchcraft, only 1 of them burned). Although, for some unfathomable reason, during that period an awful lot of women died from drowning.

I'd happily re-introduce the ducking stool for 5G mast burners and excessive toilet roll purchasers.
An ex-Facebook friend is spouting theories of establishment con regarding the virus to exercise control over the population.

When I scoff, he provided me with the proof... It was mind blowingly ridiculous that someone could come up with such a theory.. :dizzy:
GoldFinch wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:46 pm
An ex-Facebook friend is spouting theories of establishment con regarding the virus to exercise control over the population.

When I scoff, he provided me with the proof... It was mind blowingly ridiculous that someone could come up with such a theory.. :dizzy:
Scoff away, and let’s see the “proof” so we can all have a good scoff with you.

And while we’re on conspiracy theories, you know that bit about “666” being the
“Number of the beast” .....well, if you take A as 1, B as 2, C as 3 and so on, and take the letters of the word “Corona“ and add up the numbers got by that method, and then add the number of letters in the word, and put that number in front of (or after, as it happens, the first number....guess what you get!!
Someone - let's just say a relative - forwarded an email to me explaining one of the conspiracy theories (we're all going to die, and it's basically a plot between the Chinese and Bill Gates) containing a large number of facts. One or two of these "facts" were in fact correct, but had no bearing on the story. Goldfinch, at least you can unfriend Facebook contacts, but you can't unfamily relatives!
Not able to show the "proof" as it was on their Facebook and we have now blocked each other.. :shrug:

Needless to say it was much the same as the stuff Pat has had, a load of newspaper articles which were not related but expounded as proof the Government wants us isolated and under control.

The Earth is flat and childhood vaccines are deadly :evillaugh:
Putting my serious head for a moment - and I do have one although I keep it well hidden - I can understand the need for an explanation for all of this. That need does explain the nonsense promulgated on social media. Fortunately a reasoned, scientifically proven explanation will come from an authoritative source in the fullness of time.

But having said that, there is a debate about the causes of the Black Death. We all grew up blaming the rats - or their fleas - but that is I believe in some doubt. And the Death came here in 1349 so it may take a while to sort Covid-19.

The Black Death led to some very real societal changes in England and I cannot but think that this wretched virus will have a material effect as well. What that effect will be I have no idea, I'll leave that to future historians.

PS. One tangible effect of the Black Death can be seen in the Cathedral. Rollo or I will be very happy to show anybody interested on a Friday afternoon when we all get back to normal. And, yes, money does come into it!

Humbug

Boo Hoo, Bleat bleat I've said it before an[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

It could suit both parties. SJ gets a new experi[…]

Covid Repayments

Look at the going concern statements in Glaws acco[…]