By StalyShark
Dimes has been quoted as saying we'll be playing two games a week once the season starts. Given that we are second I’d say we try to win every match so here’s my attempt at picking two balanced sides and so players don’t play more than 80 minutes in a week:

1:

Harrison (50/60 mins)
Langdon (50/60)
WGJ (50/60)
Lood
Postlethwaite (50/60)
Ross
B Curry (50/60)
DdP
Faf (40/50)
AJ
Yarde
Hill
S James (c.60 mins)
Reed
Hammersley

Substitutes:
Morozov (30/20 mins)
Nield (30/20)
JCW (30/20)
Phillips (30/20)
Wiese (30/20)
Cliff (50/40)
L James (20 or under)
McGuigan (only in emergencies)

2:
Oosthuizen (50/60)
Akker (60/70)
JCW (50/60)
Beaumont
Phillips (50/60)
Wiese (50/60)
T Curry
JLDP
Faf/Cliff (dependant on previous game time)
Wilkinson
McGuigan
RdP
RJVR (c.60)
Denny
L James

Subs:
Morozov (30/20)
Langdon (20/10)
WGJ (30/20)
Postlethwaite (30/20)
B Curry (30/20)
Cliff/Faf
Curtis (Emergencies)
S James (20 or under)
Doherty (Emergencies)
By Van Cannonball
We’ll certainly be at a disadvantage if that’s the case based on our extremely small squad compared to everyone else.

Strategy doesn’t work for more frequent games although not blaming Dimes for that as could not have been foreseen.
Olyy liked this
By poyntonshark
Agree we should be trying to win every game, not sure that spreading the squad between 2 teams is the way to do it. A small squad has never really worked for us towards the end of a season. Our current squad is the best for some time, but not sure we have seen much evidence that it is any more resilient in injury terms. With the end of this season likely to be even more intense than in the past I fear lack of numbers could do for us.
There will obviously be a certain amount of horses for courses in selection terms. With relegation not an issue several sides with not much to play for are likely to be very experimental and/or inexperienced, yet to be seen whether that helps or hinders. I think we are more likely to see something close to a first 15/23 for bigger games and more squad/academy getting included for those against opponents with little to play for.
By FarnhamShark
What's happened to Tom Curtis - not in the squad, but not leaving? My main worry would be only having 5 props. It only takes one injury and they're all then pretty much playing twice a week.
By StalyShark
AonM wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm
we are thin on the ground with props that's potentially a big issue
Can only think of two in the academy as well: Ford and Harper.
By Van Cannonball
Available now or long term? Rodd is there too but presumably still injured.

Whilst it’s not a lot of depth, I’d say 5 props of genuine first team starter standard (Or maybe 4 and a serious back up in Morozov) is stronger than we’ve been for many years.
By StalyShark
Van Cannonball wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:42 pm
Available now or long term? Rodd is there too but presumably still injured.

Whilst it’s not a lot of depth, I’d say 5 props of genuine first team starter standard (Or maybe 4 and a serious back up in Morozov) is stronger than we’ve been for many years.
I’d forgotten about Rodd, not sure if he’d be ready after that knee surgery he had though.

It’s definitely a far cry from Harrison for 80 mins every week and a tight head who has never played loosehead on the bench just in case!
30/12/23: Northampton 21 Sale 17 [GP]

RIP Deadly Derek Underwood. Spinner extraordinaire[…]

Quins game

They won't rest anyone. It will be a full strength[…]

cancellation

Heaton Moor 2nds 80 Trafford MV 3rds 19 Bigger n[…]