By Stevie J
List is updated with Abendanon signing for Vannes, Steele to Quins and our interest in Noel Reid as per today’s TRP.

Should be noted local news in France has Reid signing for Agen. We should know soon as I believe (though can’t remember where I read it) that the French registration deadline is Wednesday 15th July.
By Stevie J
Florida wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:06 pm
Looks like Matías Alemanno won't be going to Beziers as the take over bid seems to be falling flat on its face
Paul Tait of America’s Rugby reckons it’s Gloucester who are in for him. Which makes sense, they need a top lock with Mostert and Grobler gone and with all due respect I don’t think Garvey cuts it.
By GHA
I don't read the usual sources for rumours but am I right in saying there have been even fewer rumours than normal? Lots of players linked with lots of teams, lots of teams already signing lots of players, then there's us...
By Stevie J
Its a fair point GHA - we do have to remember that we "did our shopping" last season with 9 internationals joining. Aside from Matt Cornish being spotted at Hazelwood we have had very little and what rumours we've heard have largely been debunked.
I'm guessing we had some signings lined up before all this kicked off that may have fallen by the wayside.

The silence now is deafening, but it wouldn't surprise me if we were just trying to limp through to the end of the season with minimal recruitment before assessing where we are. Expect we'll see if anyone else leaves and plug a few gaps with non-blockbuster signings like Cornish.
By GHA
It's a shame our shopping was as short as it was then and didn't run into this season's spree as well then!

With Mick Crossan being Mr Powerday I would've thought his company would be doing OK (i.e. still functioning at a reasonable level) during the current Covid crisis, unless he's tightening the purse strings due to future uncertainty. Having seen the profit and loss figures for all Premiership clubs a few months ago it got me thinking that perhaps we aren't the poor little brother of the other big 12...

Time will tell, come on Irish let's be hearing from ya
GHA wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:21 pm
Margin_Walker wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:35 pm
Gloucester sign Alemanno.
Is there anyone left to sign?
I just hope some holes are being filled behind the scenes and we can all relax when the club do start talking again.

Otherwise you think Big Bob fancies lacing up his boots once more for old times' sake?
By GHA
It just feels a little bit predictable that we are the quietest of all the clubs... As for Big Bob, his knees can't be much worse than they already were!
By Florida
It may be the beer talking, but I think it's all going to be ok.

There's been a bit of talk lately of us being trouble if we lose our big signings, personally I think we're in bigger trouble if we lose our youth. With Loader sitting down for an interview it feels like he's on board and if he is I'm assuming other academy grads are.

No matter how badly the rest of this season goes we're safe. Next season, there'll be Newcastle and I mean that as no disrespect to them. They've done a year in the champ and we know what a big difference that is in intensity and they wouldn't have played a game since march. I think they might struggle a bit. I also wouldn't be shocked to hear they bring in ring fencing.

Yes, if the Botha rumour is true we'll need a lock or two, but we can get a solid performer from the championship, heck we might even find a hidden gem.
By Florida
Anyone recall if Naholo was listed on our first team page? I'm assuming he was, but he's not on it now. Could be an admin error, or given he's been posting pics of being in NZ could mean we're not getting him back.
By Margin_Walker
I know they took the other lads whose contracts had expired off the other day, but can't remember if Naholo was still on then.

To be honest, if it's not an error and it stopped at him (and perhaps Botha who's not on there anyway at the moment), that would be a result in my book. As long as there weren't huge payouts/liabilities involved, a very expensive luxury winger isn't essential post Covid.

Edit - As an aside, that page is a mess

Tom Parton - Fly Half (yeah, perhaps as an under 18)
Albert Tuisue - Second Row

I'd also forgotten Macken was actually on the books
By GC89
Would be a shame if Naholo does not come back, as I still think he could have pushed on and made a big impact (and he was nowhere near as ineffective in his limited appearances as some people make out). However, if we were to lose any of the more expensive guys, he probably makes the most sense, especially with OHC breaking through. Would leave us light in the back three, but we were already looking thin on the ground there anyway.
Very tenuous one, but Tony Lamborn has been liking a fair amount of our content on Instagram lately.

28 year old Kiwi (albeit USA international) abrasive flanker playing for the Blues. Possibly on the radar for next season, or he may just have mates at the club. He was Newcastle bound a few years ago, but had to call it off due to a family illness.
By Margin_Walker
Florida wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:53 am
Anyone recall if Naholo was listed on our first team page? I'm assuming he was, but he's not on it now. Could be an admin error, or given he's been posting pics of being in NZ could mean we're not getting him back.
They must be listening as Naholo has now reappeared...
By GC89
Margin_Walker wrote:Very tenuous one, but Tony Lamborn has been liking a fair amount of our content on Instagram lately.

28 year old Kiwi (albeit USA international) abrasive flanker playing for the Blues. Possibly on the radar for next season, or he may just have mates at the club. He was Newcastle bound a few years ago, but had to call it off due to a family illness.
I noticed this too. Strikes me as a very Toby Booth signing, i.e. bit of a journeyman back-row player in a position we are well-stacked, but I could be totally wrong. He benches for the Blues and his highlight reel is decent, so possibly not the worst signing in the world. Looks like he can cover across the back-row so could be handy, especially if we need to use Mafi more at lock.
MattM, Margin_Walker liked this
I'd be surprised if we actually were signing someone like Cat from the amateur game. Rona going would be a shame as he's a very good allrounder at 13. I guess we may see on Thursday.

Good spot on the other forum, where buried in an article about the Yorkshire academy closing, there's a mention of us being interested in Theo Smerdon. SH/FH who's been in and around the Ireland U18 setup. Looks to be something in it, as he seems at the very least to be on trial for a senior academy spot. Ben Lazenby was the Academy Manager at Yorkshire.

This is him scoring against Wasps

By Narbia
You know, based on zero information, bar assumption, I think we've got little to lose. that's why Brian Facer has gone in hardball. We've always been stressed in finances, but this season we can't be demoted.

Everybody must cut their costs, so why not get the house in order? OK. I'm disappointed that the number of internationals previously hired are not going to run out for us.

Conversely, a lot of youngsters get to hone their skills in the heat of battle... and we move on to next season, where there may even be supporters there to watch. :yikes:

Time unusually is on our side.
By Florida
Well, a post on the other forum by our possible inside man RG indicates that Coleman and Naholo will still be with us, although unlikely to see either until the start of the new season.
By GHA
I don't have Instagram but I thought Naholo had his knee strapped up way back when he first when back to NZ for his new arrival, months ago before Covid..?
By Florida
Could have. Aparently his knee hasn't been 100% since before he joined us and now he's just had surgery on it. Hopefully a full recovery is swift and we get to see him in his rampaging best. There's some blockbuster wings in the premiership right now, next season could be a corker!
By Margin_Walker
Well if you're going to have corrective surgery on a persistent issue, this break is certainly the time to have it.

With the best will in the world, this next run of games isn't the most important we've ever played. Yes, there's Europe to play for, but survival is a given for a change.
By Florida
GHA wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:44 am
So people aren't assuming he's just had knee surgery based on old instagram posts?
No, this was from a post by RuckingGood who seems to be in the know about a few things.
Nice to have some positive news. Big intake and some real potential in this year's intake. At least as promising as the 2016 bunch.

Production line of outside backs continues and there's the curiosity of three lads being included that played hooker for their school this year.
By GC89
Might be absolutely nothing, but Lyon lock/flanker Etienne Oosthuizen is following us and liked our post about the new academy intake. No obvious connections to the current squad (apart from Ruan) and isn't following any other teams so could be something in it. Big old unit - would be happy with him coming in.

Boo Hoo, Bleat bleat I've said it before an[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

It could suit both parties. SJ gets a new experi[…]

Covid Repayments

Look at the going concern statements in Glaws acco[…]

LC-D health scare

Not great news for the poor lad, must be a worry. […]