By Narbia
Well that was a fortunate piece of short term recruitment.

SdC and RN are both passing time until their teams start up in the new season.

As above, far better finding a lock than playing someone else out of position. Luckily for us Falcons have no season to complete.

I didn't realise RN was such a big bloke : 6’5″ (1.96m) and 240lbs (108kg), therefore he's pretty quick on his feet for such a build. He'd a good season when down at Scottish.
Ross Neal is massive.

Not sure de Chaves is still on the books at Newcastle, as he was rumoured to just be on a one year contract. Could be playing for a contract for next season, so should be motivated. Or I may be completely wrong...
Short article in the Telegraph this morning with a few updates.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... n-despite/

Paywalled, but main points

- Wish Skivs well at Gloucester, but won't comment on business side of it.

- SOB raring to go

- Confirms Naholo had a knee op in NZ. Not out for the season though. Just talks of likely missing the first few games.

- Couple more signings to come. So assume Creevy and one other.

- Squad have had a great attitude with paycuts etc.
MattM, GHA liked this
Fissler may also have been hinting at it yesterday.

Obviously heavily dependent on fitness and how much we are paying, but it would work as a signing for me. We'd have two quality options at 12, with him and Hepetema.
By Florida
MattM wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:55 am
That's Creevy confirmed

Who'd have believed a couple of years back that they'd see an LI team with Creevy, Kepu and O'Brien in it?

london-irish.com/news/agustin-creevy-si ... es/bp2641/
And Coleman, Simmons, Phipps, Jackson and Naholo. There is so much international experience throughout this team now, it should have a huge impact on our younger players, they've so much they can learn from these guys!
By Florida
He should still get a few as he's only out for a week or two, although that said with this seasons fixtures a couple of weeks is about 12 games!

Deccie also mentioned that Macken, TJ and Stokes have been training with us while they try to get new gigs. He also said we'd had Norton training with us as he needed something after the 7s issues.

I didn't hear him mention Gilly or MNG when talking about leavers or the final squad
By Narbia
I still think we're a bit light at lock.

I notice Sarries have bolstered the second row with the addition of Tim Swinson. Gave him another year of playing time.
By MattM
Florida wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:29 pm
They didn't mention it but they did say signings are done, so I'd imagine we'll get the publish list very soon, maybe...
What was the wording on this? Did it imply that negotiations are done or that all signings have been announced?
If the latter it feels like we can probably get by for the last few games of this season but are still light at lock and centre going into the next...
By Florida
The wording was a bit of a Deccie ramble, but essentially the squad for next season is complete. There's a little room left in the cap should we need it, but Deccie would have to have a good case to be able to get access to the funds. He rattled through the names of the squad for next season.

In regards to Loader only said that it is pretty inevitable that other teams will look at good players like Loader, he went on another bit of a ramble about how they (Deccie and co) understand Loader and know what sort of load works for him and how to manage him correctly.
By Florida
He wouldn't be the first coach to deny something, only for it to be true. Maybe I've just read too many Steve diamond interviews.

I keep going back to the news after the Simmons signing that we were wrapping up a couple of other signings.
MattM liked this
By GHA
I'd like Eastmond as he'd fall into my revered 'previous club didn't really want to lose him' category - I think (although I may be wrong) Leicester tried but failed to keep him, so if we snapped him up that would be great. Not the only reason, obviously, but a good one in my book!

Much like IF Quins steal Loader from us... :tears:
By GHA
I hope to be pleasantly surprised - his quality in 7s is undoubted but it is a different game and the switch isn't as straightforward as some people think.

I also hope he's cheap - wing doesn't seem a priority right now.

Most importantly I'm pleased we're still making the odd signing despite publishing a squad list thing the other day
By GC89
I liked the gamble on Kerr and if, as reported, he is injured for a while, then Norton plugs that gap. Low risk, low cost and brings some experience. If it was a longer term deal I would probably have a few reservations given age and lack of 15s experience, but this feels like a low risk move for us.
Yep, agree with that. Cheap short term cover. Good role model for the younger wings as he always seems to be a model pro. On the off chance that he is a revelation, we can give him a contract for next season. Otherwise we've got the cover we needed without breaking the bank.
By Stevie J
Good spot MW, I imagine like last time it’s just a website issue but would seem to confirm Smurdons quiet arrival.

Maybe one for the Zoom call on Thursday which should be quite the event.
By Margin_Walker
Yep, the website often has a half finished vibe to it, so would be the most likely explanation.

Assume the powers that be have bigger fish to fry at the moment anyway.

Good to see Rhodes make it as well. Big solid kid, with a nice turn of pace and good hands.
By Lazyboy346
That would make a bit more sense of Morgan not getting a contract if Smerdon was in as SH/FH (in addition to Englefield), although would have happily had both plus Keohane. Keeping Rhodes is good, as I expect Donnell and Izzy to play with the seniors next season.

Does mean we could potentially put out a half back pairing called Theo if needed.
Margin_Walker, MattM liked this
By Margin_Walker
Lazyboy346 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:40 am
That would make a bit more sense of Morgan not getting a contract if Smerdon was in as SH/FH (in addition to Englefield), although would have happily had both plus Keohane. Keeping Rhodes is good, as I expect Donnell and Izzy to play with the seniors next season.

Does mean we could potentially put out a half back pairing called Theo if needed.
Well he seems to have a contract now.

He's been added, along with Brooke
By Lazyboy346
That's good to hear as he was a real talent in the age groups and was one of those seemingly nailed on for the senior academy alongside Vajner. Fingers crossed we might add Keohane too.
By Lazyboy346
Suspect Ioane was on a three year contract so was going to be released a year early but with Glasgow releasing four back rows and only bringing in one then all three parties benefit. We don't have to pay him off fully, he gets a contract and Glasgow can afford to bring in a good player (probably at a slight discount) despite the financial reassure from a lack of spectators at club and test games.

I'd expect we are aiming to announce the other two once they have arranged a club to go to.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]