By Van Cannonball
Are you able to summarise? Was it based on green belt or local residents? Those two angles are fair enough and I’m not sure how you overcome them.

In respect of the clubs, I think it’s already clear it should benefit them or not happen anyway.
By iBozz
Sale FC have issued a statement by our President, James Hourihan, in response to an article in a local newspaper circulating in the Sale area.

http://www.salefc.com/club-announcement ... ord-bridge

The erroneous article and unauthorised comments to which SFC refer is on the back page of today's edition of the Sale and Altrincham Messenger.

https://edition.pagesuite-professional. ... eec0db5082
By MikeGC
Van Cannonball wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:53 pm
Are you able to summarise? Was it based on green belt or local residents? Those two angles are fair enough and I’m not sure how you overcome them.

In respect of the clubs, I think it’s already clear it should benefit them or not happen anyway.
Both callers who spoke to the Mayor of Greater Manchester said they lived locally.
Both talked of negative impacts in Stockport and Salford (not sure either are factually based, but...)

Concerns:-
1. Greenbelt
2. Loss of facilities for community sports
3. Loss of casual use (walking, walking digs, ad hoc jogging in relative safety)
4. Increase in traffic
5. Disturbance to local residents on match day
6. Increase in lawlessness and drunken behaviour

Andy Burnham was suitably concerned and promised to approach the Trafford Mayor and relevant MPs to discuss
By Van Cannonball
Thanks Ibozz and Mike.

A fairly strong rebuke from Sale FC!

In terms of the objections; as I said green belt and local residents are difficult objections to overcome, although I don’t really understand the green belt when it’s immediately adjacent to an 8 lane motorway and the A56...it’s also not like there’s a lack of green space nearby with Sale Water park and the Mersey valley.

Impact on local clubs and casual use I don’t get. Can only presume people are objecting without actually reading the detail. The clubs have to be on board with this for it to progress. On the petition against it loads of people are commenting about loss of space for Sale Utd etc, whereas the reality will have to be improved facilities.
By poyntonshark
Unfortunately with any of these kinds of proposals those assessing the applications need to be able to filter out the real concerns from the NIMBYs. Those NIMBYs often shout the loudest. As Van Canonball says Sale shouldn't be allowed to develop the site unless the existing users are on board.
By Shark Bandit
I have absolute trust that our owners will get this stadium built.As with every project it will contain obstacles.Just look at Alderley Edge Bypass,A556 bypass and Congleton Bypass.Residents are rightfully opposed and once the projects are complete they realise how beneficial they are.
Sale Sharks move back to Sale will see a successful club.With that will see 8,000+ attendances.Booming for local pubs,bars,restaurants and shops.
Our owners are from Manchester not fly by night businessmen or foreign investors.They love our club,have the finances and above all,they have vision.A successful club will bring untold amount of interest to the town of Sale.Just imagine a HC Quarter Final at Crossford against Leinster,Claremont,Munster,Montpellier or Toulouse on a Saturday afternoon followed by a top of the table clash v Exeter the following Friday night.
Pie in the sky some may say................they said the same about signing Manu Tuilagi.
By SCRUM30
I didn’t listen to the interview and have absolutely no time for burnham, but If I read a post on here correctly? Did one of the callers say having sale in Stockport had a negative economic effect? If so try telling that to the landlord on Edgeley .
By MikeGC
SCRUM30 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:31 pm
I didn’t listen to the interview and have absolutely no time for burnham, but If I read a post on here correctly? Did one of the callers say having sale in Stockport had a negative economic effect? If so try telling that to the landlord on Edgeley .
Neither of the callers I heard mentioned financial impact, not sure where you formed that opinion.
The callers (incorrectly) inferred a negative impact on crime statistics (often alluded to by posters on here w.r.t. damage to and theft from cars).
By DaveAitch
And so, as the Times style guide might begin the sentence, there were two online petitions, at change.org, concerning Crossford Bridge. One had 4,566 votes, while the other amassed 419.

The answer to the question posed in ageing's post would seem to be 'anywhere you like, so long as it's not here'.
By MikeGC
ageinghoody wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 pm
I'd be curious to know if any of the "Thousands of people (who) urged bosses to find another site." had any suggestions as to where.
Not In My Back Yard ?

I must say, I can see their point of view, I wouldn't want a stadium and the associated paraphernalia build near me either
Olyy, Taplow 1861 liked this
By Lord Elpus
The launch was ill-considered and premature as the other proposed/supposed "beneficiaries" weren't onside. I would guess that they were happy with the status quo and were aware of the relegation of Stockport County FC.

The minutiae of change of ownership and management of the franchise obviously didn't cut much ice with the population of Sale.

Rugby Union would probably be "in" with the local MP but not with the Trafford Council.
MikeGC liked this
By ageinghoody
DaveAitch wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:16 am
The answer to the question posed in ageing's post would seem to be 'anywhere you like, so long as it's not here'.
I'm reminded of the exasperated comment of one of our local parliamentary candidates during the 2017 election campaign.
"Two things everyone seems in agreement on; a) we must build lots more new homes for people; and b) they mustn't be near me!"

Not that I'm equating the disppointment of missing out on a new sports stadium to the social catastrophe-in-waiting of inadequate housing!
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]