By Olyy

Would've liked to have seen some more academy lads involved, but it's the final and I can understand pushing hard for the trophy/prize money (/wanting to blow some cobwebs off for the first team after misfiring performances recently).

Excited to see Wiese start,
Concerned at no Harrison, his injury must be more serious than I'd hoped
By Olyy
Quins:

Harlequins Starting XV
1. Santiago Garcia Botta (21)
2. Scott Baldwin (17)
3. Simon Kerrod (25)
4. Dino Lamb (31)
5. Stephan Lewies (19) - vice captain
6. Chris Robshaw (297) - Captain
7. Will Evans (18)
8. James Chisholm (95)
9. Danny Care (280)
10. Marcus Smith (84)
11. Aaron Morris (50)
12. Luke Northmore (7)
13. Joe Marchant (90)
14. Nathan Earle (28)
15. Mike Brown (332)

Game Changers
16. Elia Elia (52)
17. Marc Thomas (3)
18. Wilco Louw (1)
19. Glen Young (17)
20. Alex Dombrandt (49) - vice captain
21. Martin Landajo (19)
22. Andre Esterhuizen (2)
23. James Lang (65)
By stevene
good to see RDP back. issue with RDP is his kicking is very hot and cold. AJM offers more consistency however do think RDP offers more ball in hand. hopefully we can compete at the lineout as the pack is full of ball carriers. not sure where we will win lineout ball but options limited. if we can secure our own lineout ball think we will go well. just not sure we will.
By IrishShark
stevene wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:30 pm
good to see RDP back. issue with RDP is his kicking is very hot and cold. AJM offers more consistency however do think RDP offers more ball in hand. hopefully we can compete at the lineout as the pack is full of ball carriers. not sure where we will win lineout ball but options limited. if we can secure our own lineout ball think we will go well. just not sure we will.
RdP and wilf rightly start because they got us to the final in the 1st place
By Clutch
Difficult to predict the lineout. Lots of responsibility on Wiese. Having DDP at 2 is always a benefit.
By Van Cannonball
No real idea how this will go.

Ross being out for a while is definitely an issue we’re not used to.

Interesting to see who goes to wing if required.
By poyntonshark
Rohan the only serious possibility, isn't he? I know Manu has played Wing, but surely not enough pace these days. I suppose at a push it could be Hammersley with Sam James moving to 15, but not a move I would favour. Faf on the wing might make things interesting I guess.
By Lord Elpus
Luke James on the bench might have been a better option. Both James brothers are the nearest thing we have to utility backs.
By Van Cannonball
Agreed would give full back cover compared to Manu but Luke’s definitely not a winger.

It’s an odd selection to have no back 3 player on the bench.
By Surbiton_Shark
Cliff can easily go on the wing - from memory he's covered there before for us? though that could be last night's hangover talking
By Van Cannonball
I’ve read that, but he’s also said he wants to add to his game.

I’d like to hope that if Dimes is thinking of doing it that it’s with the buy-in from Rohan too.
By poyntonshark
I'm sure it would be. It's not like he's saying "We see you more as a winger than a centre". It is for a specific need.
By DaveAitch
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Apparently, Rohan hated playing on the wing.
Maybe he was playing outside a centre who never passed him the ball.
By Yareet
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:38 am
Rohan the only serious possibility, isn't he? I know Manu has played Wing, but surely not enough pace these days. I suppose at a push it could be Hammersley with Sam James moving to 15, but not a move I would favour. Faf on the wing might make things interesting I guess.
Has AJ ever played 15? Could he move there at a pinch?
By Van Cannonball
If you want to move a 10 there then I’d think RdP would be better suited with more pace and taller for under the high ball.

In fact if you look at his attributes you’d think he could be a good 15, especially given our attacking structure works off a ball carrier at 12 rather than a 2nd distributor

And of course Sam James played there a bit last season although I don’t think it suits him defensively.

Been great to see AJ taking the ball to the line and offloading last couple of games. He was always good for a break, but then rarely got the ball away in the past.
By Surbiton_Shark
Yareet wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm
poyntonshark wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:38 am
Has AJ ever played 15? Could he move there at a pinch?
His complete lack of pace would be an issue that springs to mind
By Clutch
AJ at 15 sounds terrifying unless he’s the greatest positional 15 of all time. He’s an out and out 10. Not much positional variety and he’s playing v well!
By poyntonshark
Looks like we are planning to win tis by one score. We controlled everything till we scored, then went very loose, now Quins have scored we have tightened up again.
By StalyShark
Not loose at all. That awful reversal decision completely knocked us flat (if we weren’t already!). Terrible. As was the Cooper Woolley penalty
By poyntonshark
Out of context m'lud.

@StalyShark we were already on the back foot before Foley started making things up.
By Lord Elpus
Sooooo frustrating. Took ages to score when a scrum would have resulted in a penalty try and another card.

Is there a TMO on duty? If so he should have informed the ref. of the error of his ways.
By Clutch
Why? The maul was gaining the pens. Why would we go for a scrum. That’s so bizarre.
By Surbiton_Shark
We somehow managed to be more insipid than we were against Bath - and that takes some doing.

Massive second half and I suspect how it goes define the rest of our season.
By Olyy
I don't understand what's changed so much for us since lockdown
We look like a team of players that only meet up on match days, they don't gel together at all - no backs moves, even simple passes down the line often end in tears
By Clutch
Not a coaching issue. Game plan isn’t the coaches remit. Not their fault all our backs have been awful.
By ale shark
Seriously losing the enthusiasm to ever watch a game of domestic club rugby again here. It’s just a relentless succession of penalties and mistakes. Total garbage from all 31 on the pitch.
By Clutch
Totally unfair on Quins. They are defending really well.

The other 15 on the other hand.

JLDP excellent in defeat as usual. Real leader when we struggle.
By Olyy
Wiese probably thinking a champions cup semi (at least) and then a season in the championship would be more fun that this dross
By Taplow 1861
It’s almost impossible to say anything remotely positive. I know - we’re better than Leicester & London Irish! Also we are just probably on a par with Saints.

Seriously - a total and absolute disgrace. Just so poor. Insipid is a complement. They clearly don’t train together or know the game plan.

Let’s end the season now. I’m going to home and cry.
By Olyy
Poor call for that penalty, but I'll take it considering that reverse earlier eventually led to a try
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview som[…]

Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]