By Mike Flitcroft
Are the fixtures televised?
England’s pool fixtures will be live on World Rugby platforms (website and social). There will also be highlights on ITV 4 of the pool games, with the knockout stages broadcast live on ITV 4.

England v Ireland – streamed live by World Rugby, highlights on ITV 4 23:00 BST
England v Italy - streamed live by World Rugby, highlights on ITV 4 23:00 BST
England v Australia - streamed live by World Rugby, highlights on ITV 4 23:00 BST
There will also be live score updates on England Rugby's Twitter account, as well as live reaction on Facebook.
By eBike
An entirely personal perspective but I would beware of accessing WalesOnLine unless you can completely block/remove any cookies or databases that may get on to your machine. I've stopped using WOL for that reason. Much as I'd like to stay in touch with news from Dyfed I see WOL in the same light as fungal nail infections.

As I said, entirely personal. More IT savvy folk might not be concerned.

Ah the memories of the U20 games at the AJ Bell/City Academy :-) and seeing so many stars of the future. An excellent competition.
By poyntonshark
NZ v Georgia on live now. England v Ireland live in early hours of Wednesday morning. On Fox Sports. Will have to wait until tomorrow night to see England game.
By eBike
The live streaming on the World Rugby U20 site works really well and easily accessed.

For those who need the UK team scores :-

Wales beat Argentina 30-25; hard fought game and I think Argentina as the home team let the pressure get to them.

NZ hammered Scotland 43-19; didn't watch it but saw the highlights. Real quality across the whole Kiwi team.

Ireland beat England 42-26; England played some superb attacking rugby with the Sale players showing real quality. A counter attack by Reed from his own line was fabulous to watch. Sadly, very poor discipline (2 yellows and a totally deserved red)let them down.

In the absence of any home turf rugby you could do a lot worse than tune in the next round on Saturday (I think)
By Lord Elpus
I thought the yellows were very harsh as the Irish players in contact were both falling. two tries given by the TMO were very dodgy as in one case you couldn't see the try line due to elephant grass and in the other they didn't look at offside.

However England played as they did in the U20 6N - very profligate and prone to over-elaboration. They need to find a new 9 as well. The lineout was poor and the Irish 9 managed to put Dolly off his throwing by some gamesmanship.
By eBike
Correction; NZ beat Georgia not Scotland. The Scots were beaten by S Africa. Both SA and NZ put 43 points on the opposition.

Upcoming this Saturday :-

SAT JUN 8 2019
World Rugby U20 Championship 2019, Pool C, Match 10
SOUTH AFRICA U20VGEORGIA U20
Local time kick off 10:30Racecourse Stadium, Rosario
Your Time - 14:30, Sat 08 Jun 2019

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019, Pool B, Match 7
AUSTRALIA U20VIRELAND U20
Local time kick off 10:30Club de Rugby Ateneo Inmaculada, Santa Fe
Your Time - 14:30, Sat 08 Jun 2019

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019, Pool A, Match 11
FRANCE U20VWALES U20
Local time kick off 13:00Racecourse Stadium, Rosario
Your Time - 17:00, Sat 08 Jun 2019

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019, Pool A, Match 8
ARGENTINA U20VFIJI U20
Local time kick off 13:00Club de Rugby Ateneo Inmaculada, Santa Fe
Your Time - 17:00, Sat 08 Jun 2019

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019, Pool C, Match 12
NEW ZEALAND U20VSCOTLAND U20
Local time kick off 15:30Racecourse Stadium, Rosario
Your Time - 19:30, Sat 08 Jun 2019

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019, Pool B, Match 9
ENGLAND U20VITALY U20
Local time kick off 15:30Club de Rugby Ateneo Inmaculada, Santa Fe
Your Time - 19:30, Sat 08 Jun 2019

All games are streamed on the World Rugby U20 Championship site :-) Were you can also find a "highlights" option.
By IrishShark
Nic Dolly should have continued involvement throughout the tournament with his understudy banned for 5 matches
By eBike
More exposure for Dolly can only help his development.

I also found this interesting, especially the final paragraph.

HIGH RISK CONTACT TECHNIQUE WARNINGS

The following players received High Risk Contact Technique Warnings arising from match-day one under the trial in operation at the World Rugby U20 Championship 2019 with respect to upright tackles which result in contact with an opponent’s head:

Santiago Chocobares (Argentina No.12)
Lachlan Lonergan (Australia No.2)
Julien Delbois (France No.12)
Jonathan Wren (Ireland No.11)
Ronan Watters (Ireland No.20)
James Mollentze (South Africa No.10)

Coaches now have the opportunity to conduct a coaching session with the players to address their tackling technique to the satisfaction of the Citing Commissioner in order to have the first warning removed from the players’ records. Two Technique Warnings in the tournament will result in a one-match suspension.
By Lord Elpus
That doesn't make sense to me. The England tacklers were attempting chest tackles and the Irish players fell (intentionally or unintentionally) leaving no time for the tackler to adjust. Penalty & a yellow card resulted. Upright tackles to the head must be intentional unless the tackled player jumps into the tackle - which is an offence iirc.

It seemed to me that falling with the ball is intentional in many cases as that prevents a fair contest for the ball on the ground when it is beneath a fallen player.
By Lord Elpus
Reed got a nasty injury in today's very narrow win over Italy (bp). He left the field on crutches.
By eBike
The next batch of games is this coming Wednesday with a very important England v Australia match.

For anyone interested in the new Tackle Technique experiment here's the link (?) to to the World Rugby statement.

https://www.world.rugby/u20/news/429470

Also, a special shout out for the Crusaders who hammered the Rebels 66-0 to top the Super Rugby overall table with considerable ease.
By Lord Elpus
h-t England U20 42 - Australia U20 12. Aussie No 8 red card after 2 mins.
By Lord Elpus
FT 56 -33. Redpath went well. Dolly came on in the 2nd half and the lineout went worse.
By Flumpty
Lord Elpus wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 pm
2 minutes ?!?!?!!? is that some kind of record ?
By ale shark
Flumpty wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm
Lord Elpus wrote:
League but Adrian Morley v Aus after 12 seconds was fun
By eBike
Three red cards on Wednesday, the Aussie No8, one Argentinian and one Frenchman. All for high "tackles" and contact with the head.

World Rugby are clearly trying to minimise upright tackling and contact with the head. We'll have to wait for their report on the experiment and what influence it may have on other levels of rugby.
By Flumpty
eBike wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:46 pm

World Rugby are clearly trying to minimise upright tackling and contact with the head. We'll have to wait for their report on the experiment and what influence it may have on other levels of rugby.
I'm very interested in the experimental rules and potential rule changes. I'm actively involved with Junior rugby and (IMO) the majority of players will have serious work on their hands to tackle lower on a consistent basis. To many go to challenge the ball, rather than the player, which inevitably has them head to head/face to face.
By Van Cannonball
I know there have to be concerns with player safety but the people running the game are in serious danger of destroying it.

It’s a contact sport and collisions will happen. I can’t see anything intentional in the Aussie hit and it ends the game as a contest after 2 mins.

You can argue that intent doesn’t matter and players have to change technique, but it’s often impossible to avoid front on hits at short range, and many tackles considered high are a result of the ball carrier dropping down.
By Major Bloodnok
ale shark wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:45 am
Flumpty wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:47 pm
Lord Elpus wrote:
League but Adrian Morley v Aus after 12 seconds was fun
I have a vague memory of a (possibly apocryphal) story about someone coming on as a substitute during a break in play, lamping an opposition player and getting sent off before play had restarted, thus technically being sent off after 0 seconds.

May have been football, now I think about it...
By eBike
Disciplinary outcomes

https://www.world.rugby/u20/news/429067

Patrick Tafa (AUS)
Low end, 2 week suspension, reduced to one for previous clean record, remorse and conduct at the hearing..

Rodrigo Isgro (ARG)
Low end, reaction tackle, unclear as to actual contact with the head. Red card rescinded, free to play on the 17th

Sacha Zegueur (FRA)
Shoulder to the head, mid range, 6 weeks suspension reduced to 4 for conduct.remorse, etc..
By eBike
Monday's "knock out" games involving home nations

2.30 pm NZ v Wales and Scotland v Italy

7.30 pm England v Ireland and S. Africa v France

Plenty to enjoy.
By eBike
Sorry to reply so late, watched Wales beat NZ 8-7 in a brutal match in horrible conditions that caused an hour long suspension of play.

Currently watching England pull away from Ireland in equally dire conditions. If England win they play Wales for 5th place

The match will be live on S4C but no English commentary and also live streamed on the WorldRugby site

https://www.world.rugby/u20/live

Video highlights can also be found on the site tomorrow
By Lord Elpus
FT Ireland 23 - England 30.

England made it difficult for themselves with a non-functioning lineout. Three yellows against England - 1 against Ireland.

Can we poach Josh Hodge?
By eBike
Final Day - sat 23rd

WAL/ENG and SCO/FIJI 2.30 (?) UK time both live streamed from the usual World Rugby site posted earlier

The ENG/WAL game will also be live on S4C

ARG/SA and ITA/GEO follow late afternoon and the FINAL AUS/FRA follows about 7.30 along with IRE/NZ

I believe the AUS/FRA final is live on ITV4

Hopefully the dreadful weather won't spoil the final games in what has been a fabulously entertaining championship. There are many stars of the future on display and you saw them here first :-) Happy viewing
By Shark Drunk
Looking at Sale players involved:

Hopefully Ewan Ashman and Teddy Leatherbarrow manage to help dig Scotland out of the hole they are in. If Scotland lose to Fiji they are relegated from Tier 1. Ewan has scored a number of good tries and looks a good prospect. Teddy hasn't had as much opportunity to show his undoubted skills.

Ciaran Booth had played his way into the starting line-up No 7 for Ireland with some selfless displays but received a horrific looking knee injury after an illegal clear out from an Italian player, coming in from the side and off his feet, while Ciaran was jackling and about to win the penalty. I think Ciaran is a player for the future at Sale although if he wants to continue to play for Ireland he will have to move to one of the provinces. Really hope the injury isn't as bad as it looked and he can come back from it well.

For England, who have struggled for form, Arron Reed has featured but seems to have also picked up an injury. Nick Dolly seems to have slipped in the pecking order and will have to nail the throwing in if he is to reach his potential. Cameron Redpath looks the real deal and reminds me of a young Guscott. Can Sale provide him with the platform for his exciting talent? Gus Warr seemed to make to pre tournament squad but didn't make it to Argentina. Connor Doherty hasn't had much opportunity and unfortunately has Cam and the England captain in front of him in the centres but has looked incisive and solid from the bench. Luke James hasn't had much opportunity either but at least he has been recognised by the England set up at long last. Fifth placed play-off is an underachievement as was shown with the hammering of Australia in the last pool match. Australia should be favourites to win.
By eBike
England 45 Wales 26. England 5th, Wales 6th

A comfortable win for England 6 tries to 4. Their first 20 simply overwhelmed Wales who then had an uphill task to get back in game.
By H's D
Luke James started at 12 in this game due to Redpath's ban.
Did quite a few good things and nothing bad apart from a forward pass that messed up one opportunity. Subtle movement into a ruck when guarding, he left a lovely hole for the prop to score our second.
Certainly didn't look out of place, made his tackles and put wingers in space on several occasions with missed passes.
Hodge looked a real talent with ball in hand and with his kicks to touch and kickchases: he was top points scorer and didn't miss a single kick at goal all TOURNAMENT!
Hill looked as good as his dad! Vunipola has huge potential.

Specsavers calling .... Can you read the lines bel[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Blame-casting - love it!

Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview som[…]

Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]