By Surbiton_Shark
RugbyPass have tweeted we have signed Sanderson as DoR. No start date in the article

Maybe he will sign Thorley.....
By Alex
As Olyy says would be great news. Interesting to see what Mike and him could do in defense!

Really need to get the attack firing now though
Bucks1861 liked this
By LJK
If correct, then with no game the following weekend, he gets an extra week to get his proverbial feet under the desk, which presumably would be beneficial.
Elgar liked this
By Lord Elpus
Clutch wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:45 pm
Simplistically speaking If Sanderson sorts the forwards out the attack will follow suit.
He speaks their languages at least - Afrikaans, English and Prop.
By wrinklieshark
Alex Sanderson appointed as Sale Sharks’ new Director of Rugby
Sale Sharks is pleased to announce the appointment of former club captain Alex Sanderson as Director of Rugby. The club has reached an agreement with Saracens to release Alex from his contract and he will join the Sharks’ coaching team with immediate effect.
Olyy liked this
By wrinklieshark
Alex Sanderson appointed as Sale Sharks’ new Director of Rugby
Sale Sharks is pleased to announce the appointment of former club captain Alex Sanderson as Director of Rugby. The club has reached an agreement with Saracens to release Alex from his contract and he will join the Sharks’ coaching team with immediate effect.

The 41-year-old started his senior playing career at Sale Sharks in 1998, after playing junior rugby at local club Littleborough. He went on to make 90 appearances for the club, with his leadership qualities earning him the club captaincy.

Speaking about his appointment as Director of Rugby at Sale Sharks, Alex said: "I'm joining a club I know all about from my time here, but things have moved on massively since those days and the opportunity to come back home and achieve something special was just too good to turn down.

"After speaking to the owners and others at the club, it was obvious that there's a huge amount of ambition and a real growth mindset here and that's something that really stood out for me.

"There's a fantastic amount of talent in the squad too – that's clear for everyone to see – and the progress in recent years is a credit to all the players and the efforts of everyone behind the scenes. But I also believe there's so much more potential to unlock here. I don't think we've even begun to scratch the surface of what this club is capable of.

"Moving on from Saracens was a decision I had to think long and hard about, but I just felt the time was right to start a new chapter. I learnt so much during my time there; achieved a lot and made some friends for life, but ultimately the chance to put my own stamp on things and create a legacy at Sale Sharks and for rugby in the North West is what really excited me.

"I'm determined to give everything I have for this club and I can't wait to get started."

Chester-born, Sanderson gained five England caps whilst playing for the Sharks before moving to Saracens, although he only made eight appearances as a player before a back injury forced him to retire. He then went on to become instrumental in the success of Saracens, after first taking up the role of Forwards Coach in 2008.

Alex was key to the development of a world-renowned defensive system at Saracens in his role as Forwards/Defence coach. His tactical knowledge and technical understanding of the game, alongside a constant desire to improve himself and others defined his coaching style on a trajectory to success with Saracens that would earn the club three European Cup trophies and five Premiership titles in twelve years.

Sale Sharks CEO Sid Sutton was delighted to finally announce Sanderson as the Sharks’ new Director of Rugby and believes he fits the bill perfectly. He said:

“In Alex, we have a world class leader and a coach with a winning mentality and extensive experience at the pinnacle of the game. He’s a former Sale lad who knows the club, knows our culture and shares our vision of making Sale Sharks one of the most formidable teams in Europe.

“We have been extremely pleased with how the current coaching team have taken the job on over recent weeks, under very difficult circumstances. The owners and I have been nothing but impressed with their desire and determination, so it was key for us to ensure that whoever we brought into the club complemented that, and I believe Alex will do that perfectly.

“It is of great importance that we build on the culture we have at the club and we wanted our new Director of Rugby to be someone that can continue to develop a brand of rugby we are all proud to be a part of. The winning mentality of Alex is key for this group of players and the club, to truly achieve its potential. The owners and I believe that Alex is a perfect fit for the role, and we can’t wait for him to get started alongside the team at Carrington.”
Alex, Bronzbronx, Olyy liked this
By Bucks1861
Welcome home Alex! I’m sure I speak for everyone to wish you every possible success.

Pictured in the club’s official announcement is Alex in a blue & white stripped club jersey! I still have mine, I bet he doesn’t though.
By Bucks1861
Often the comments made when you move on indicate the respect you were held in. Therefore, wow!

Saracens Director of Rugby Mark McCall said: “Few people have been as central to the Saracens story as Alex. His drive, ambition and personality are woven into the very fabric of the club.

He is one of the leading Coaches of his generation, blending comprehensive technical and tactical knowledge with an in depth understanding of the people in his care. His creativity, ability to articulate message and ferocious desire to improve players, sets the standard of what it is to be a modern day coach.

“Away from the field, Alex is loved by everyone at the club. Honest, kind-hearted and generous, he is considered by many a dear friend. He is also a dedicated family man and we wish him, Emma, and Ty every success in the future. Thank you, Alex, for all you have done for our club.” ‘

England and Saracens forward Jamie George said: “It is nearly impossible to quantify the impact Al has had on every member of the playing squad at Saracens. He comes into work every day with a desire and passion to make the group the best they possibly can be.

“Where Al is different to others is the strong connection he has with the entire squad, he has taken a genuine interest in every player on and off the field and of course will be remembered for his weird and whacky ways of getting messages across to the group. On behalf of the playing squad, I would like to thank Al for showing us what it takes to be the best and wish him, Emma and Ty the very best in their move back to Manchester.”

Saracens owner Nigel Wray added: “All my family will miss you Alex, and indeed will miss all your family, Emma, Ty, your Mum and Dad… but we will always be friends. We will always be close friends. Thanks for those many years and the very best wishes for the future”.
By Parky
At last some real heart warming news in the middle of some very dark days.

Welcome home Alex. :caffine: :dance:
By 45jumper
Absolutely brilliant news - the comments from Sarries show what high regard he's held in. Can't wait for the next game now :mrgreen:
By HR1861
Welcome Alex.

Great news - this appointment ticks all the boxes and the future suddenly looks a lot brighter.
I imagine there's very few fans, if any, who are disappointed with this.
Hopefully, he's been signed on a long term contract to really make his mark over an extended period.
By chris1850
Welcome home Alex! Very happy with this appointment. Seems to have all the right credentials to step up to DOR. With Forshaw and Deacon in situ, a talented group of players forming the basis of the squad and ambitious owners, we have a really solid foundation for him to move the club forward.

Dimes left us in a very good position - perfect for Alex to cut his teeth.
By East Stand Shark
Absolutely made up with this appointment! I've just watched an old BT Sport clip from when they interviewed him back in 2018. He seems to be a top class bloke who is really well respected by his players and peers.
Great opportunity for him and a great opportunity for the club.
Best of luck Alex. Really looking forward to watching the team further develop.
By ageinghoody
Really pleased, but can't help wondering how those who for months have greeted any mention of the club he's leaving with a knee-jerk "Cheats" are going to distance him from that!
By Clutch
Everything is overwhelmingly excessively positive which worries me!!
I’ve been wanting him at the club for ages so it’s brilliant news. The only man for the job really. This break is ideal for him to get his feet under the table.
By Lord Elpus
The Rugby Paper saying that Axe turned down two international jobs and two approaches from other GP clubs to take on the SS role.
By SixNineOne
I think this is a brilliant result, and I'm not even a Sharks supporter! It's going to be really interesting to see what he can do with the club and it really makes me look forward to future visits to the AJB (when my house arrest is over...)
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]