View From The 22 site news and a place for you to tell us your views and suggestions.
By Alex
If you can think of anything to improve the forum then feel free to drop it in and here and I'll take a look at whether I can implement it

Current work in progress

Themes for each club
Prediction League
URL button

Implemented

Raise the PM limit
Added login bridge to Wordpress site - 15/08/19
Increased Avatar limit - 18/08/19
Added Favicon to the forum - 19/08/19
Previous/Next buttons (Fix the top code and add code at the bottom) - 27/08/19
By TeflonTed
Private Messages.

Alex, I’m still getting the hang of some of the controls, notably pm’s. I thought I’d sent you one about pm storage, but I can’t see it so it just shows I’m still on a learning curve.

Pms were used quite a lot in SN, and were stored without limit. It looks as though there’s a 50 message cap here, and that may become an issue for some...can it be raised/removed?

Also, I’ve noticed that my last sent msg seems to show in the outbox, which on most systems would indicate that it hadn’t been sent. Am I mis-reading something?

Other than that, this site seems to be going quite well for many of our regular correspondents, and the change has brought to light a few extra lurkers as well, which is great to see.
By patgadd
When replying to a post, it would be helpful if you could see the post you are replying to (by scrolling up perhaps?). I know you are getting a lot of requests, but you should think of it as a sign that people want this forum to succeed!
By Alex
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am
Private Messages.

Alex, I’m still getting the hang of some of the controls, notably pm’s. I thought I’d sent you one about pm storage, but I can’t see it so it just shows I’m still on a learning curve.

Pms were used quite a lot in SN, and were stored without limit. It looks as though there’s a 50 message cap here, and that may become an issue for some...can it be raised/removed?

Also, I’ve noticed that my last sent msg seems to show in the outbox, which on most systems would indicate that it hadn’t been sent. Am I mis-reading something?

Other than that, this site seems to be going quite well for many of our regular correspondents, and the change has brought to light a few extra lurkers as well, which is great to see.
Meant to alter that the other day and got sidetracked! I've upped the limit to 9999 which appears to be the max on phpbb so good luck hitting that anytime soon!

If a message is in your outbox then that means it hasn't been read yet, when it moves from there to your sent box then it's been read.
patgadd wrote:When replying to a post, it would be helpful if you could see the post you are replying to (by scrolling up perhaps?). I know you are getting a lot of requests, but you should think of it as a sign that people want this forum to succeed!
If you scroll down rather than up you should be able to see the previous posts on that thread from the reply box
By TeflonTed
Alex wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 am
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:18 am
Private Messages.

Meant to alter that the other day and got sidetracked! I've upped the limit to 9999 which appears to be the max on phpbb so good luck hitting that anytime soon!

If a message is in your outbox then that means it hasn't been read yet, when it moves from there to your sent box then it's been read.
patgadd wrote:When replying to a post, it would be helpful if you could see the post you are replying to (by scrolling up perhaps?). I know you are getting a lot of requests, but you should think of it as a sign that people want this forum to succeed!
If you scroll down rather than up you should be able to see the previous posts on that thread from the reply box
Thanks Alex, all clear.

Here’s another thought, from time to time on the previous forum we had instances of posters creating multiple identities, sometimes to argue with themselves, other times to be highly critical of others, other times just to be mischievous.

The fact that this was happening was known to moderators, but confidentiality seemed to over-rule any action to at least publicise the fact that posters may have more than one i/d.

My suggestion was that at the least, anyone having a second, or more, i/d’s should have a note inserted into their profile, so that others could see that this was occurring, in the form of “this poster has additional board i/d registered”

My personal standard is that if it doesn’t say Ted on the post, it isn’t Ted behind the post, but others had a different approach, didn’t they pat?

Any thoughts Alex?
By patgadd
Alex wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 am
Doh!
Alex liked this
By Alex
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks Alex, all clear.

Here’s another thought, from time to time on the previous forum we had instances of posters creating multiple identities, sometimes to argue with themselves, other times to be highly critical of others, other times just to be mischievous.

The fact that this was happening was known to moderators, but confidentiality seemed to over-rule any action to at least publicise the fact that posters may have more than one i/d.

My suggestion was that at the least, anyone having a second, or more, i/d’s should have a note inserted into their profile, so that others could see that this was occurring, in the form of “this poster has additional board i/d registered”

My personal standard is that if it doesn’t say Ted on the post, it isn’t Ted behind the post, but others had a different approach, didn’t they pat?

Any thoughts Alex?
Putting something in their profile probably wouldn't be possible for GDPR reasons as we'd be accessing their data.

The best way to sort it would be to have something about duplicate accounts in the forum rules and then we can act on it if people are using more than one account
By TeflonTed
Alex that’s the best idea, simply don’t allow multiple i/d’s.

As to m’lud, our distinguished Wuss poster Birmingham Bertie is as yet unregistered on here. Perhaps he’s on holiday.

I have high hopes that he’ll join us in due course, his postings on legal matters are always very well researched and presented.

And he’s Welsh.
By Alex
Yeah I think that's the route we'll go down, I'll check the other admins are ok with it and then pull together some rules and put them on the website
By TeflonTed
Alex wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:15 pm
Yeah I think that's the route we'll go down, I'll check the other admins are ok with it and then pull together some rules and put them on the website
Great feedback Alex.

Given the current state of our “alternative “ Wuss forum, I’d get that one sorted soonish!!
By WarriorsMisfit
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:37 pm
Alex wrote:
Great feedback Alex.

Given the current state of our “alternative “ Wuss forum, I’d get that one sorted soonish!!
On a related note, I was going to ask about being able to mute certain posters... But happily it's already built in and works in a nice way (tells you they've posted in the right spot in the thread, but the post is hidden unless you click to show it)
By TeflonTed
WarriorsMisfit wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Alex wrote:
Great feedback Alex.

On a related note, I was going to ask about being able to mute certain posters... But happily it's already built in and works in a nice way (tells you they've posted in the right spot in the thread, but the post is hidden unless you click to show it)
Ooh that's a useful one, may well yet come in handy.

I do hope I'm not on your Muted list WM!
By WarriorsMisfit
TeflonTed wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:17 pm
WarriorsMisfit wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 pm
TeflonTed wrote:

Great feedback Alex.

Ooh that's a useful one, may well yet come in handy.

I do hope I'm not on your Muted list WM!
Of course not @TeflonTed - there's no point muting many (it is but one) as I've always been a lurker for the main part, so seeing others conversations is the interest for me (and am glad to see many of the names I recognise have come over). There are just some (and any obvious secondary accounts) it might be useful for. And I still have the option of viewing their posts if I'm in the mood
TeflonTed liked this
By bartyMJ
@Alex can I suggest adding a "mark all as read" to the front page of the forum to allow a blanket clearing of all unread messages in one go? Would appeal to OCD types like me who like to look at most stuff across all clubs but can clear the remainder of "unread" signs quickly for anything I've not bothered with.
By Alex
@bartyMJ if you click on the forum category then there's an option to mark all subforums read :)
By Alex
If you're on desktop click "Forum" in the menu bar and then unread posts, then on that page there's a button to mark all posts across the forum as read. On your mobile you just need to open up the menu bar to find the forum option.
bartyMJ liked this
By Alex
Trying to sort the wordpress sync issue tonight so if you have to log back in then thats why as I've had to reset cookies
By butthead
The "Previous Topic" button at the top of a topic isn't showing properly;
Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 15.26.55.png
Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 15.26.55.png (21.05 KiB) Viewed 22426 times
Can I suggest two other related improvements...?
1. Also place these buttons at the end of a topic
2. Rename them newer/older topic rather than next/previous for clarity?
Alex liked this
By Alex
butthead wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm
The "Previous Topic" button at the top of a topic isn't showing properly;
Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 15.26.55.png

Can I suggest two other related improvements...?
1. Also place these buttons at the end of a topic
2. Rename them newer/older topic rather than next/previous for clarity?
Yeah it was on my list to do but it's just lower priority at the moment. Once I've got the prediction league finished then I'll sort them out!
butthead liked this
By WarriorsMisfit
Have found a glitch which it would be nice if it could be fixed.

I'm viewing on chrome on mobile (Android).

If I am viewing a page in landscape, the page fits the width. If I then rotate to portrait - it retains the landscape width, making everything smaller.

If I start in portrait and rotate to landscape - the page expands to fit the width. But, again, it won't then shrink back when I rotate back to portrait.

When it's like this - I'm able to zoom in, but I can also zoom back out. In "normal" portrait I'm unable to zoom out to that level.

(semi) interestingly, if I start in portrait and rotate to landscape after the data has loaded but before the proper layout is applied for mobile (and I presume - before ads are loaded - see below) - I can rotate back to portrait and it corrects the width.

I have a feeling its to do with the ads - they seem to refresh with the rotation - but perhaps some of the ad boxes (or all of them) aren't picking up the new width? (as some of them seem to stay wide, others change to thinner versions)
By patgadd
Here's a suggestion that would help a lot if it could be executed. On the other forum, if someone sends you a PM, you get an automatically generated email saying you have a private message on the forum. It's very easy to miss the number on the little envelope at the top of the page, so if this could be done it would be very useful.
Proflex liked this
By Alex
If you go to your user control panel, there's an option for board preferences and then under that edit notification options.

In there the option to receive emails for PM's and various other features.
By patgadd
Ah, got it - I think. Will wait for a PM and check my email accordingly. Thanks.
By patgadd
Just tested it with a kind contributor - his worked, mine didn't. I'm on AOL, if that makes a difference.
By patgadd
I've just checked my email again and Have been notified of all my pms - the emails just took an hour to come through! :joy:
By Margin_Walker
More feedback than an improvement, but I'm a fan of being able to embed tweets.

It's a handy feature
Alex liked this
By Alex
Thanks @Margin_Walker , I think it'll also be handy with match highlights as youtube videos embed too!
By TeflonTed
patgadd wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:37 am
I've just checked my email again and Have been notified of all my pms - the emails just took an hour to come through! :joy:
You really must upgrade your Nokia 3320 and Windows XP!!
By Alex
The previous/next topic has been fixed and also added at the bottom to make switching threads easier
Peter D, butthead liked this
By poyntonshark
Unread posts still seem to be causing some concern. The unread marker in the club home page works well, but worth remembering that if you use the next/previous buttons, then you don't get the benefit of jumping to your first unread post. The idea of marking unread posts in the thread sounds like a good one. Belt, braces and a good stout cord under the belt.
By chris1850
poyntonshark wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:19 am
Unread posts still seem to be causing some concern. The unread marker in the club home page works well, but worth remembering that if you use the next/previous buttons, then you don't get the benefit of jumping to your first unread post. The idea of marking unread posts in the thread sounds like a good one. Belt, braces and a good stout cord under the belt.
Agree with this. When I press 'new', it seems to take me to the last unread post, not the first unread post? I then have to scroll up the thread until I get to a post I remember reading previously. It would be so much better if every unread post in a thread was marked 'new'. Is this possible Alex?
By WarriorsMisfit
WarriorsMisfit wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 pm
Have found a glitch which it would be nice if it could be fixed.

I'm viewing on chrome on mobile (Android).

If I am viewing a page in landscape, the page fits the width. If I then rotate to portrait - it retains the landscape width, making everything smaller.

If I start in portrait and rotate to landscape - the page expands to fit the width. But, again, it won't then shrink back when I rotate back to portrait.

When it's like this - I'm able to zoom in, but I can also zoom back out. In "normal" portrait I'm unable to zoom out to that level.

(semi) interestingly, if I start in portrait and rotate to landscape after the data has loaded but before the proper layout is applied for mobile (and I presume - before ads are loaded - see below) - I can rotate back to portrait and it corrects the width.

I have a feeling its to do with the ads - they seem to refresh with the rotation - but perhaps some of the ad boxes (or all of them) aren't picking up the new width? (as some of them seem to stay wide, others change to thinner versions)
Hi @Alex - was just wondering if I could give this a bump. Might be there's nothing you can do, but wasn't sure if it was seen the first time around.
By BehindThePosts
Hi @Alex . Would it be possible to add a button to mark every post on a forum as read. Useful if someone's been offline for a while there will b ed a load of unread posts that there won't be time/inclination to read. Rather than cluttering up the message list with unread markers be easy to mark all as read and start again.
By Alex
BehindThePosts wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:28 pm
Hi @Alex . Would it be possible to add a button to mark every post on a forum as read. Useful if someone's been offline for a while there will b ed a load of unread posts that there won't be time/inclination to read. Rather than cluttering up the message list with unread markers be easy to mark all as read and start again.
If you click the forum menu option at the top there's an unread posts section and from there it's possible to mark all the posts read.
BehindThePosts liked this
By BehindThePosts
Alex wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:40 am
BehindThePosts wrote:
If you click the forum menu option at the top there's an unread posts section and from there it's possible to mark all the posts read.
Thanks @Alex
By ale shark
Hi Alex, any chance the "submit" can be made a different bolder colour? I keep on typing messages but then pressing "save draft" icon which is probably the natural position where I'd expect the "post" button to be. Maybe either change the order of the icons or just make the post/submit button stand out a bit more.
By Narbia
Cookie Acceptance :
By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies. Read more
That really doesn't need to fire on every visit.
By Alex
@ale shark Will have a play around and try and make it a darker grey or maybe a different colour entirely

@Narbia Is this showing even when you're logged in?
By Narbia
Alex wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 am

@Narbia Is this showing even when you're logged in?
It shows when not logged in.

However on the desktop it is behaving as it should : first visit - cookie query. Second visit not.
By Alex
If it's working on laptop then that suggests that the code is right on the cookie thing, do you know if your phones setting stores cookies as if it didn't that would explain why it's showing up each time.
By Narbia
Alex wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:49 pm
If it's working on laptop then that suggests that the code is right on the cookie thing, do you know if your phones setting stores cookies as if it didn't that would explain why it's showing up each time.
The only way it would repeatedly fire when correct is using anonymous browsing. Then again 'anonymous browsing' on Android? Ha ha ha :evillaugh: .

It works on the desktop so I'm happy.
By BehindThePosts
BehindThePosts wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:27 pm
Alex wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:40 am
BehindThePosts wrote:
Thanks @Alex
Hi @Alex . This doesn't seem to appear on the mobile site but is there in the desktop version. Any chance you can enable it on the mobile version?
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]