By RugbyMarvel
Think that is the strongest side we can put out bearing in mind who is unavailable. Jono not being selected isn’t a surprise, unsure whether that is injury or due to his indiscipline. Wiese will offer the same physicality.

We have to dog it out against Falcons, they’re a tough and physical side with some pace out wide. They had a good early start to the season, but likely down to them being fresh from not having a rushed end of the prem in late summer.
By Elgar
agreed @RugbyMarvel .

So interesting - and seems well deserved on his part - what U-turn the club has made on Dugdale having released him less than 12 months ago.
By Olyy
No arguments from me
I think in my prediction I had Neild starting and Dugdale on the bench but really you can flip a coin for them, they're both playing really well atm
By RugbyMarvel
Think Nield is the slightly better defensive player but Dugdale has a bit more about him in attacking phases. They’re both good players to have in the squad and nice to see them getting game time
By DavenportSharky
Newcastle Falcons team to face Sale Sharks (Friday, 8pm, AJ Bell Stadium, BT Sport Extra 1)

15 Tom Penny

14 Mateo Carreras

13 Matias Orlando

12 Luther Burrell

11 Ben Stevenson

10 Brett Connon

9 Louis Schreuder

1 Trevor Davison

2 George McGuigan

3 Logovi’i Mulipola

4 Greg Peterson

5 Marco Fuser

6 Rob Farrar

7 John Hardie

8 Callum Chick (captain)

Replacements

16 Jamie Blamire

17 Adam Brocklebank

18 Mark Tampin

19 Darren Barry

20 Connor Collett

21 Michael Young

22 Joel Matavesi

23 Alex Tait
By Surbiton_Shark
Prob would have had Neild starting

Same backline as last week - Denny seems to have gone AWOL again?

Well - hopefully the game won't be like the first fixture we played against Newcastle......they looked pretty good versus Quins last week - seem to make the most of their parts and play as a team in comparison to us.

Fingers crossed - could do with a win
By Elgar
Missing Flood, Hodgson, Radwan, Graham (and Welch more long term) is pretty significant for them, I'd say.
By poyntonshark
I hope Axe has instilled some leadership qualities in someone else, Beaumont present should help. So far this season every time Jono hasn't been there we have looked completely rudderless. That could be painful against one of the best-organised sides in the league. We have to 'click' sooner or later...don't we?
By Parky
Good to see basically the same side out. Though to give the boss some credit he needed to see all the squad members play before he decide for himself which is the strongest team.

Jono being banned for one game may be a blessing in disguise
By Streatham Shark
I'd be happy with Ben getting the captain's armband, but equally I'd quite like to see Beaumont given a go, he's one of our most intelligent players and is very level headed. It's noticeable that we've played more sensibly since he came back, the improvement in the maul being a case in point.

Looking forward to tonight.
By Flumpty
Streatham Shark wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:02 am

I'm not, it has all the vital ingredients of being a crap game.
1) its on Friday night,
2) its on TV
3) its against Budgies, which is a (near certainty) borefest guarantee.

I home that I'm proven wrong and my prediction league score of Sale 29 Budgies 6 comes true.

I really, really hope that we stuff the Budgies tonight, after the number that they did on us earlier in the season (with Toby Flood performing the final indignity :doh: )
By ale shark
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:22 am
Streatham Shark wrote:

1) its on Friday night,
2) its on TV

I home that I'm proven wrong and my prediction league score of Sale 29 Budgies 6 comes true.

I really, really hope that we stuff the Budgies tonight, after the number that they did on us earlier in the season (with Toby Flood performing the final indignity :doh: )
Indeed, after a seemingly endless stream of dull games I'm not going to bother tonight, thus guaranteeing an absolute cracker for the rest of you. You can thank me later.
Olyy, Shaftesbury Shark liked this
By Flumpty
ale shark wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:59 am
Flumpty wrote:
Streatham Shark wrote:

1) its on Friday night,
2) its on TV

Indeed, after a seemingly endless stream of dull games I'm not going to bother tonight, thus guaranteeing an absolute cracker for the rest of you. You can thank me later.
Do I self insure myself by sitting in the garden under a sprinkler for 95 minutes to get the full
measure of a Sale vs Budgies game, whilst at the same time, having it recored and getting a neutral individual to review the game and letting me know if its worth watching before being treated for hypothermia ?

I'm really fond of Newcastle and I've been across quite a few times to watch them play, but it must be the rugby version of self flagellation, as they are rarely, good quality games !
By Streatham Shark
Flumpty wrote:
Streatham Shark wrote:

1) its on Friday night,
2) its on TV

Well we've just found out that we've got asbestos in our cellar, so comparatively tonight should be a joy!
By Surbiton_Shark
'I home that I'm proven wrong and my prediction league score of Sale 29 Budgies 6 comes true'.

I'll have a pint of what you've having!

This season has been a good season not to be present at the games - our match play has been pretty full (I was lucky enough to be at the Irish game and it wasn't the best watch..)

At some point, we'll click and give someone a tonking. I just hope when we get the ball around the halfway mark we don't just automatically by default boot it away.

I'm also fairly realistic and our strength at the moment is very forward driven get in good positions and hopefully score from push over tries or from any resulting infringements from AJ's boot.
Last edited by Surbiton_Shark on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Olyy
Sale vs Newcastle games are usually low scoring affairs with the home team winning by <7, so i'm going with a 13 - 10 win, and me questioning why I spend all week looking forward to the rugby on the weekend :mrgreen:
By Olyy
Mad end to the game,

Slightly disappointed not to get the 4 tries but very happy with the win and also the way we played - turned it on when given a sniff and the defence was top notch bar the slight defensive lapse of the guards around the ruck for their try

As above: Lood is VERY VERY good
By Centrethreequarter
Is it me or is it time for a new centre partnership?

I was thinking the same. OK ish defensively but little or nothing going forward. Hoping it’s just a form thing with Sam.
By StalyShark
Centrethreequarter wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:56 pm
Is it me or is it time for a new centre partnership?

I was thinking the same. OK ish defensively but little or nothing going forward. Hoping it’s just a form thing with Sam.
Very happy with the win as we’ve been so poor against Falcons for so long.

There’s definitely something not right at 12-13 atm as there’s nothing coming from them. Sam J hardly involved, doesn’t seem to be making any plays at all. Hill? Largely anonymous again.

On another note, Lood is the kind of player that we need for top 4 and Europe. Everywhere, engine torquey as a Range Rover but with surprising speed; everything top quality and doesn’t make Sale-like daft mistakes. Worth his money when rehabbing? Yes right now.
By Van Cannonball
Very happy with the win.

A bit more flair in attack. Great feet from Yarde and a superb offload by AJ.

Unfortunately we pretty much stopped playing and bought into Newcastle style of play from about 30 mins and wanted to trust the defence, which to be fair was very good as usual, but pens and mistakes mean can always be under pressure playing that way.

We were lucky that their basics were poor compared to usual, especially lineout.
By Lord Elpus
What turnover ball we had Faf kicked away and they easily regained possession. Didn't understand Rodd coming off so early and Quirke could have come on earlier. I'd like to see him and AJ play together. I still think we would look better with Beaumont at 8.
By DavenportSharky
Great credit to Lood and Yarde who were really outstanding tonight. Slightly surprised we went for goal at the end. We seemed quite content to let them batter away at our defensive line edging them back a metre at a time. I would love to know what percentage of FDK box kicks or our up and unders end up with our possession. Wiese working very hard again. Not sure there is much point in trying to clear out at the ruck now. Risk is too high. Not sure however what is dangerous about shoulder on thorax? Beaumont pass looked a bit forward in Lood try and Falcons all think Youngs knocked on for their score. Once again Bevan Rodd seemed to have the better of a tight head. Great to see Akker fit and one good turnover. Jackson had reasonable game. Presumably that was the tallest second row in history at the end. Jake CW spoke well.
By Olyy
DavenportSharky wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:28 pm
Not sure however what is dangerous about shoulder on thorax?
There were no arms in the clearout
Happens at every ruck, but is technically illegal - because they'd TMO checked it (due to the possibility of it hitting the head) they couldn't just waive it off as it is illegal play
By Van Cannonball
Refs need to start taking responsibility. The Falcons player is clearly in the wrong place and killing the ball. If the ref blows for the obvious pen then there’s no need for the clear out.

WGJ shouldn’t do what he does, but in the absence of a call by the ref it looks a decent chance he’ll give a pen for not releasing so puts pressure on to try the clear out.

Some similarities with the Yeandle incident last week although Curtis was at one point legitimately going for the ball at least. Similar for a number of other cards recently.
Last edited by Van Cannonball on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Van Cannonball
Faf gave great energy first half again and brought the forwards onto the ball well, plus the miss pass making the first try, same as last week.

However, by about 50 I think that energy is mostly gone and the mistakes are not countered by the positives, so think we need to be changing 9 around that point.

Also think we’ve seen from 2 starts that at this stage of his career Dugdale’s attributes are better off the bench and would start Neild.
By Van Cannonball
On the subject of captain, if he can stay fit then there has to be a good shout for Lood.

He’s captained other teams, he’s calm, he leads by example and he’s a hell of a player.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview som[…]

Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]