By Alex
Sale Sharks is delighted to announce the signing of Tommy Taylor from Wasps Rugby ahead of the 2021/22 Gallagher Premiership season. The Sharks academy graduate has agreed terms to re-join the club on a three-year deal.

The 29-year-old England international started his career at Macclesfield Rugby Club in Cheshire before rising through the ranks of the Sale Sharks Academy after signing for the club in 2011.

A firm fan favourite during his time at the Sharks, Taylor made over 90 appearances for the club and was part of the same academy crop as Ross Harrison, Will Addison, and Mike Haley. During his time at Sale, Tommy developed himself into the archetypal modern hooker, proving himself dynamic and industrious in the loose as well as showcasing the traditional skills required to be effective in tight areas of play and at the set piece.

Tommy left the Sharks at the end of the 2015/16 season to join Wasps Rugby and was capped by England in the same year. He has since gone on to play 80 matches for the Coventry based side. He will return to Sale to bolster Alex Sanderson’s front-row options ahead of next season.

Tommy was delighted to be able to fulfil his ambition of returning to his first professional club, he said:

“After five great years at Wasps, I’m really happy to be returning home to the club where I began my career. It’s really exciting to be returning home, to a club that’s both familiar, yet has developed substantially over the past few years. I’m excited to test myself in a new environment and I’ve no doubt that it’s the right decision both professionally and personally for me and my young family.”
Flumpty liked this
By PappjeShark
Unless there’s a multiple clear out coming, suggest that means Cam Neild is now a flanker for good. Happy to see TT back, albeit in a qualified fashion depending on what it means for our other hookers.
By poyntonshark
Are we going to keep 4 (and a half / 5) first team hookers? Sounds like a luxury with our small squad. Tommy is a fine player, I obviously wish him well on his return, but I reckon there are some musical chairs to come.
By Olyy
I don't think Neild can(/should be) considered a hooker anymore - last time he played there was February 2019 according to the offy's stats
By Van Cannonball
Even so, with 4 I think that’s one too many when Ashman is looking ready to play.

Could make an argument for any of the current 3 to leave for various reasons, although I’d be disappointed whichever it was.
By poyntonshark
I wrote as much on the other thread, but should add that now he'sone of us again I would be sad to see Tommy leave/not sign..... Must be tough being a DOR.
By Surbiton_Shark
I assume Akker would be leaving and we then have TT, Curtis and Ashman - the latter looks an absolutely potential international already. I really like Curtis - always thought he should have had more chance when Akker darts were on the blink

Was thinking.....whether Akker could go to 7 whilst we are Curry-less - especially his jackalling skills - needless to say his carrying and work around the park is great.
By Clutch
If he was fit that would be what I would go for.

I’d be most disappointed of the 3 if it was Ashman but can understand if he thinks it will help international selection. If he gets selected to start soon hopefully that will help dispel those rumours.

Most likely to be Akker which is an obvious shame but he has been injury prone and dart inaccuracy prone. We need to start jigging the books around and freeing some cash to spend on our backline. Not saying I want Akker to go, as a rugby fan wanting that would be crazy, but it makes some sense. Someone big ish has to leave. It’s inevitable.
By PappjeShark
The contract timings are available on the Shark Tank’s patreon site I believe, albeit not having got near a podcast of any sort for several weeks, I’ve not yet paid up for access.

The timing is interesting; given how long these things take, is it fair to assume that moves were underway before Axe started, even if he’s obviously got sign off rights on it (unless it was done & dusted and just under wraps)? If it was already underway, the logical conclusion is that further movement is planned too, as carrying four senior hookers seems unlikely.

Personally, I can’t see Akker at 7 given our back row depth, regardless of his jackal skills. As per the other thread, I’m much less downbeat on him than others. All will be revealed....
By RugbyMarvel
Glad to see Tommy back, share the reservations re who it means will leave. Just hoping it isn’t Ashman who looks to have the highest ceiling.

Munster have just announced 8 senior players having their contracts renewed. Mike Haley isn’t one of them...

I have a feeling we could see the return of Haley this season, his contract expires in the summer
Olyy liked this
By Olyy
RugbyMarvel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:32 pm
Munster have just announced 8 senior players having their contracts renewed. Mike Haley isn’t one of them...

I have a feeling we could see the return of Haley this season, his contract expires in the summer
I've heard a rumour he's wanting to move back to the UK to raise his family here
Shame he's lost his EQP status, but ticks the academy credit box, and has been playing very well for Munster
By Surbiton_Shark
Haley would be extremely welcome - when Sale or the Prem rugby site shows our previous tries (not forwards driving over the ball..) - the amount where Haley and/or JOC are involved is incredible. Haley especially often acted as first receiver
Flumpty liked this
By ageinghoody
Olyy wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 pm
RugbyMarvel wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:32 pm

I've heard a rumour he's wanting to move back to the UK to raise his family here
Shame he's lost his EQP status, but ticks the academy credit box, and has been playing very well for Munster
And all for one brief token appearance in a pretty meaningless match unless my memory is playing tricks on me.
By Van Cannonball
Would love Haley back. Could definitely put up with the odd defensive mishap for all the attacking benefit. Not sure how Luke would be impacted though as I’d definitely like him first choice ahead of Hammers now, and I’d like to see Carpenter given some chances too.
By Lord Elpus
I'd consider Haley is the price is right. As for TT - five years on is he a better player than when he left?

The returnees Maggie & Fridge imho were not good vfm and the players themselves got more than the team did. Instead of Japan they got their pensions in Salford.
Last edited by Lord Elpus on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
P51b liked this
By RugbyMarvel
Disagree re Maggie. Thought he filled a gap on his return and offered some physicality and nous we otherwise lacked. Tigers were after him at the same time
By Yareet
Lord Elpus wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:35 pm
I'd consider Haley is the price is right. As for TT - five years on is he a better player than when he left?

The most recent returnees Maggie & Fridge imho were not good vfm and the players themselves got more than the team did. Instead of Japan they got their pensions in Salford.
Wouldn’t the most recent returners be Cliff and Jones?
By Lord Elpus
Yes you're correct and post amended accordingly. Wilf has been useful when Faf wasn't available although some would say that he's preventing the development of Warr & Quirke. Marc Jones imho joins Maggie & Fridge. Maggie played alongside Mills, Seymour, Paterson , Evans, Webber, Cipriani - so quite a bit of nous there.
By Clutch
Not sure Maggie would have been on big money and he was a perfectly solid stop gap before the Twinderloos erupted.

We’ve spent too much on the back and failed to replace Haley, Addison and O Connor.

Would definitely welcome Haley back in place of Hammersley as long as Carpenter gets a shot. Though I don’t think we need to worry about kids getting a chance under Sanderson.
45jumper liked this
By Lord Elpus
Re Maggie - I can't think what would have tempted him to move from Biarritz to Salford if it wasn't the moolah - it certainly wouldn't have been the weather.
By stevene
adds some consistency to our set piece. i do wonder re AVDM whether he can improve his darts. ashman looks the real deal. cam neild is a back rower for me. potentially odd one out could be Langdon? however both AVDM and Tommy dont have good injury records. i hope ashman isn't going back to scotland to improve his international chances.

re haley having him and Luke James as options isnt going to stunt Lukes growth materially. the fact Luke can also rotate into the centres would give us more options.
By PappjeShark
Specifically on the hooker chat, is it total coincidence that in the week a folk hero is announced as coming home and questions swirl among fans as to who leaves, the young tyro we’re all excited about is named as a starter and also has an offy interview released?

(Not yet watched it, just seen there’s a 2.5 minute interview with Ashman publicised on the offy Twitter feed)
By Olyy
As in you think it's one of Langdon/Akker leaving, because they're giving Ashman the promotional shine?

I remember Tommy being heavily used in promos etc. before he signed for Wasps - even remember a Wasps specific promo video where he swatted a wasps...a few weeks before he announced his departure
By Lord Elpus
StalyShark wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:03 pm
Haley’s post on Instagram read (to paraphrase):
“Feeling more like home with a chippy tea on a weekend.”
Think he’s coming home?
Don't they have potatoes in Ireland?
By StalyShark
Lord Elpus wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:08 pm
StalyShark wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:03 pm
Haley’s post on Instagram read (to paraphrase):
“Feeling more like home with a chippy tea on a weekend.”
Think he’s coming home?
Don't they have potatoes in Ireland?
I don’t think there’s a good joke to be had about the Irish Potato Famine but he’s been sent Lanx shoes and sharing pictures of him and Sam James. If I was a betting man...
By Lord Elpus
The potato blight was from 1845 to 1852. It also affected the rest of Europe. It is unnecessary to mention it in the 21st century.
By Olyy
Zebo headed back to Munster, with Farrell wanting him to play 15 for Ireland I imagine he'll slot straight in at 15 for Munster
Obviously Ireland players are rested a lot during the season, then are missing through the international periods, but wonder if Haley is regretting the renewal a bit - hard to see a way back into the Ireland setup with zebo around now too
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]