By A38
So far, if Aston is included, seven arrivals for next season have been announced.

Strong indications from the SN site suggest that at least 2 other signings are yet to be revealed and that others are being contemplated.

If this is correct, and there is every reason to regard the source as sound, then there could well be 10 / 12 new players coming to Sixways.

That would be a huge influx and bearing in mind the level of experience already revealed the balance of the squad will change especially as most of the new comers will be starters.

At present there are 59 faces on the Club's website squad page. These include 12 shown as Academy players.

I'm not sure how up to date the page is - or how well I've counted - but that's a very large squad in these financially difficult times. And there have been indications, again from the SN site, that the owners wish to reduce the squad size significantly.

So, some very crude maths: Let's say that, including the academy, the squad is to be reduced to 45. That would mean a net loss of about 15 and in turn, if 10/12 are coming in, perhaps 20 players will be leaving.

This is all speculation based on guessed figures but it does give us an idea about the changes which may, repeat may be happening.
By patgadd
If A38's speculation is true - and it seems both realistic and logical - then we are going to have to say goodbye to several stalwarts who have served us well over the years. In a few cases it will be like losing a good friend, and I for one am steeling myself for some unwelcome news. Business is business, though, and perhaps it has been too easy for some to retain their positions. There will be others who strive hard and got very close, but in the end are considered to have fallen just short.
What the hell; we've tried everything else over the years. It's a truism that there is nothing sadder than repeating the same mistakes hoping things will improve. Go for it.
By Warrior7
In terms of departures I think we could be looking at:

Fidow (Wing)
Black (Loosehead)
Carey (Tighthead)
Montgomery (6/7)
Cox (6/7/8)
Kitto (9)
SVB (15/12/Wing)
VV (8)
Heaney (9)
Howe (Wing)
Miller (2)
Merrick (Lock)
Palframan (3)
Du Preez (6/8)
Bresler (Lock)
Moulds/Annett (Hooker) - one of depending on if Moulds wants to go home or which one the coaches deem to be the better.
Venter (Centre)
Hougaard (9)
Weir (10)

These are not necessarily who I think should be off, just who I think will be off and obviously the confirmed departures. Quite a hefty list (19!) which should free up some cash, albeit with the reduction in salary cap.

We should have 9 covered now, and tighthead prop if Schonert stays (hopefully). Loosehead could use another addition. Lock also needs to be strengthened IMO - someone to perform at a top level for a season or two and help mentor Clegg, Kitch and Scott would be very handy. Not sure if any of our other locks fit that bill. Backrow also needs a bit of strengthening.
Could use a 12 unless Eddie converts Lawrence into one, as the only player who has really played well at 12 in recent years is Beck. Butler just can't get an injury-free run. Back 3 should be fine, especially if David stays. Will most likely be our strongest position.

It looks like 10 might be kept as is. Hopefully we'll invest heavily into the pack so this is not so much of a problem, otherwise I assume we'll see another (experienced) fly half.
By TeflonTed
W7 I think that's a very well laid out summary, not much to argue with either.

Key points:-
Schonert.... nervousness all round! Seems happy enough, got a local business, but we need news! Come on WW.

Nick David... rumours of departure. I really do hope not. Can anyone remind us of current contract status?

Fly Half....I've been grumbling for a couple of years that this is where Shilly should be. He's been badly mis-used for me, and injuries haven't helped. Give him a decent run and some front foot ball off an improved pack and he'll surprise a lot of people. Shilly and Billy will do for me.
By Warrior7
Agreed Ted, fingers crossed for Schonert and David.

Must have been a 1 year deal with David as he was only promoted to the first team for this season. Would be a real shame to lose him after such a short time.

Agreed with Shilly - it's probably confidence more than anything that he is playing a bit deep when attacking. He looks better at 10 this season than he has done for a while, and his tactical kicking is the best I've seen in a Worcester shirt (our 10s have never been particularly good at this?). If we had left him at 10 for the Ospreys game I think we would have won it.

I'm of the opinion that your number 10 doesn't need to be your best, most experienced player, especially if you have a good pack. It's noticeable how all of the best 10s in the country are also behind good forward packs - Newcastle have no star 10 but their forward pack and coaching of that area is propelling them up the league. Joe Simmonds has been very quiet recently without Vermeulen/Kirsten in the Exeter pack.
By FlipFlop
Think GJVV could be in the mix of departures too- maybe voluntarily.

The churn rate ( just for you TT) of players is maybe not so surprising. I think maybe a few seasons ago. Our squad size was comparable to Briz’s newly promoted squad, and gasps on the numbers happened then. We appear to have had to keep numbers to maintain quantity to do some rotations whereas Briz after a brief drop into the championship came back up with quality which many queried how it was paid for.

Income has dropped for all, and Warriors owners probably have to cut cloth again for more Emperors clothes just to stop being naked. There will be stalwarts, not quite good enough and solid pro’ who will leave. We’ll be grateful to all for their contribution and wish them well. We’ll welcome the new blood.

Ultimately, the plan has to be for the on field performance to be better, much better with whatever squad number we end up with.
By A38
Perhaps we can take this a step further and play a game which we usually manage to do each summer: setting down the First XV on paper. That means every player being available and therefore being fully fit, not away on international duty and not suspended.

We usually end up with about half the XV selecting themselves with the rest the subject of polite disagreement. There are therefore the "certainties" and the "possibles".

Looking ahead to next season I see the certainties as:-

15: Nanai
Wing: van der Merwe
Centre: Lawrence
9: Heinz
1: Strong Rumour
2: Baldwin
3: Schonert (hopefully)
6: Hill
8: Strong Rumour

Bench:
Props: Waller, Judge
9: Chudley
10: Searle / Shillcock
Centre: Morris

What that does show is that the First XV would be very, very different from the present one. It also shows the gap in the second row.

So, fantasy football time, where should the owners spend the rest of the money?
By Underdog
I have heard a rumour that David is off. This wasn't the one on the boards, but one of those through a couple of degrees of separation between me and him. Apparently he wasn't happy with the club's offer for renewal.

Obviously that could be rubbish and have been embellished or fabricated along the way.

If so, it does make the club look a bit silly but if they had already budgeted for DvdM and Ashton, perhaps they didn't have the room to bump David's contract up a bit to match his performances.
By FlipFlop
Ashton appears so far to be an expense we probably cannot really afford. 3 weeks to get fit since joining and the 1 1/2 poor game performances makes his salary demand with nothing on field...iMho.

David might be getting some tips to improve his technique and skills?

He’s here. I guess I’d hoped we get some performances of old
By Warrior7
Monday nights seem a lifetime ago! Don't know much about Morris' work in the loose as Owen stood out more but his scrummaging was good from what I remember. Be good to get them both some game time. If you can recruit good props from your academy I imagine it makes life a lot easier.
By Underdog
I still have hope for WB. He's had a rotten time of it and this season would have seen him captain a lot of the cup games if he had been fit too. He's always looked good when I've seen him, and was in the U20s for years which few other players manage.

I can't remember what sort of injuries he has had, but can anyone remember if they've been similar?
By Latecomer
A38 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:05 pm
https://warriors.co.uk/2021/04/29/warri ... arri-doel/

One difference between Harri Doel and Josh Adams, the comparison is made in the announcement, is that Harri is a EQP.
Either way, I hope the club learned their lesson from Josh's enforced departure.
I think if you insert a contract extension option in the players contract then I think they can carry on playing in England and still be selected for Wales. I believe Tomas Francis was one example of that. That story rumbles on https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... l-18591656

Have to say from what I've seen of Harri so far, I think he looks to have the potential to be better than Nick David (maybe even as good as Josh)
By TeflonTed
Latecomer wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:41 pm
A38 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:05 pm
https://warriors.co.uk/2021/04/29/warri ... arri-doel/

One difference between Harri Doel and Josh Adams, the comparison is made in the announcement, is that Harri is a EQP.
Either way, I hope the club learned their lesson from Josh's enforced departure.
I think if you insert a contract extension option in the players contract then I think they can carry on playing in England and still be selected for Wales. I believe Tomas Francis was one example of that. That story rumbles on https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... l-18591656

Have to say from what I've seen of Harri so far, I think he looks to have the potential to be better than Nick David (maybe even as good as Josh)
Agree, and always remembering he’s eligible for Wales selection as well.

Might come to make-your-mind-up time one day.
By patgadd
I have looked, briefly, at the comments in Another Place, some of which are downright brainless as well as being pointlessly negative. I say "pointlessly" given the premise that:
We are short of good props.
Good props are hard to find for the best of clubs, never mind us.
Players largely move for coaches, and JT is a hard taskmaster - not everyone's cup of tea.
Nevertheless, we aimed high.
We didn't get the players we first went for.
We're probably still looking, but meanwhile have got the best we can.

To the moaners I say: Where is your magic wand? Where is your answer? What would you do? For Heaven's sake, put up or shut up!
A38, Abmatt liked this
By ROLLO
Whilst some may be pointless or negative there are some good posts that act as a balance. That is why Ed.
The debate has been good and with a few new posting names that seem quite well informed.
By g2forumsm
To play devils advocate there are an awful lot of pointless posts on the board as well, as topics meander off all over the place with no reference to rugby etc.

There is far less negativity, which is a big plus, but as Rollo says. there are some very well informed posters on the other site (who is BigMac, who has just appeared), while this site is more reactive
By TeflonTed
g2forumsm wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:03 am
To play devils advocate there are an awful lot of pointless posts on the board as well, as topics meander off all over the place with no reference to rugby etc.

There is far less negativity, which is a big plus, but as Rollo says. there are some very well informed posters on the other site (who is BigMac, who has just appeared), while this site is more reactive
I do still read it from time to time. As to "new" posters, does SN still allow multiple board names for the same user? I see my old friend "Gerald Wiley" has recently re-surfaced, but not "Balatro" up to yet.

Waits.................
By patgadd
I've attempted a guess at the 20 players who we are told are leaving. It's not been easy as the club website is hopelessly out of date! I may have made a few howlers; for instance Beck and Venter might have re-signed, and Kitto may have already gone, but as I said the teams on the offy don't bear much resemblance to reality.

Here we are then, in alphabetical order:

Baldwyn
Beck
Black
Carey
Cox
David
Dodd
Du Preez
Fidow
Hougaard
Howe
Kitto
Mama
Millar
Moulds
Owen
Palframan
Pennell
Schonert
Venter
By g2forumsm
patgadd wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:03 pm
I've attempted a guess at the 20 players who we are told are leaving. It's not been easy as the club website is hopelessly out of date! I may have made a few howlers; for instance Beck and Venter might have re-signed, and Kitto may have already gone, but as I said the teams on the offy don't bear much resemblance to reality.

Here we are then, in alphabetical order:

Baldwyn
Beck
Black
Carey
Cox
David
Dodd
Du Preez
Fidow
Hougaard
Howe
Kitto
Mama
Millar
Moulds
Owen
Palframan
Pennell
Schonert
Venter
I would have Venter staying, but add in:
Scott Andrews (on short term contract only)
Michael Heaney
Jonathan Kitto
George Merrick
Caleb Montgomery
Scott van Breda
Van Velze
Duncan Weir
Matti Williams
By A38
One thing for sure is that the "rogues gallery" on the club's website will look very different next season. I just hope that it is updated as soon as possible in pre-season; I had enough difficulty on Saturday putting names to players I didn't immediately recognise.
By TeflonTed
The maintenance of the “offie” has been notoriously poor over it’s entire existence. Player profiles have often been either very late appearing, or left on months after they’ve left.

They clearly need a new 12 year old at 6Ways.
By patgadd
g2forumsm wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 am
I would have Venter staying, but add in:
Scott Andrews (on short term contract only)
Michael Heaney
Jonathan Kitto
George Merrick
Caleb Montgomery
Scott van Breda
Van Velze
Duncan Weir
Matti Williams
Dumb of me to omit GGVV, Duncan and Van Breda! I'd be only too happy to keep Swys Venter. Here's a revised list:

Baldwyn
Beck
Black
Carey
Cox
David
Fidow
Hougaard
Howe
Kitto
Mama
Millar
Moulds
Owen
Palframan
Pennell
Schonert
Van Breda
Van Velze
Weir

I'e kept Tom Dodd and my heart wants to keep Mama and Cox, but I fear they will be among the leavers. If Heaney goes we'll keep one more; Ashley Beck?
By Latecomer
TeflonTed wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:31 am
g2forumsm wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:18 am
I got my info from this site ... https://www.ultimaterugby.com/worcester-warriors/squad
That's a good one Gary. Looks pretty well up to date, even if Ashie is still in his Quins shirt!
A few in there who have already been and gone like Farai Mudariki, Ropate Rinakama, Alafoti Fa'osiliva, Michael Fatialofa as well as that crowd favourite Kieran Verden (who ? I hear you say)

Shovels

I had assumed that when focus on attack was mentio[…]

Team vs Exeter

Is Reed on the naughty step (I thought he was go[…]

The full back berth is the one I'm more concerned […]