By Alex
Doesn't seem to make sense when we have JCW and WGJ who are both solid players, Sinckler would be a luxury we don't need in my eyes.
By poyntonshark
We already had too many wingers and didn't need Marland Yarde. If (deliberately big if) he were to be unexpectedly available, then no reason to not show an interest, he could only improve our squad. But I suspect there is no story here.
By Yareet
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:09 am
We already had too many wingers and didn't need Marland Yarde. If (deliberately big if) he were to be unexpectedly available, then no reason to not show an interest, he could only improve our squad. But I suspect there is no story here.
I’m not 100% he does improve our squad - well at least not the culture. I like Sinckler but bringing him in means we lose either Jones (academy credits) or WGJ. Both are on decent length contracts but also both are classic Dimes hires - unfancied but doing well.
By Van Cannonball
Yeah I’d prefer him losing games for the opposition (such as his petulant slap on faf last season) than for us.
By poyntonshark
So, in this imaginary scenario, there is a grade 1 international prop available, our tally of which currently stands at 0, and you wouldn't consider taking him?.

Why can we not have 3 tightheads in the squad? (other than an abundance of props isn't the Sale way)
MikeGC, Flumpty and 1 others liked this
By Thekeg
A few points....

I think this is almost certainly agent driven to try and engineer a better Quins deal

We can’t go out and grab players in a yarde type scenario like we used to as we appear to be spending the salary cap now

If you count Oosthuizen as well, we have 4 TH options, so someone who is presumably much cheaper would have to leave plus almost certainly others, to make room for him in he cap and to retain squad balance. He’d clearly add quality at a level we don’t have but we’d have to lose depth at 3 or elsewhere to achieve it

I think we are much more likely to still be looking at loosehead and second rows for next year, not tightheads
By poyntonshark
What Salary Cap?

Newcastle, a championship side, have 9 props listed in their squad (2 of them academy).
Saracens list 13 props (3 of them academy)
London Irish list 9 props
Sale list 6, not easy to find info on the academy.

I agree tighthead not a likely target, and this is a non story.
By Thekeg
poyntonshark wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:58 pm
What Salary Cap?

Newcastle, a championship side, have 9 props listed in their squad (2 of them academy).
Saracens list 13 props (3 of them academy)
London Irish list 9 props
Sale list 6, not easy to find info on the academy.

I agree tighthead not a likely target, and this is a non story.
Ford, Pope and Rodd would make it 9 (3 of them in academy)
By Van Cannonball
Him being a tier 1 international is the problem. He’d miss large parts of the season whilst costing a fortune.

We already have 3 tight heads including Joe Jones who did pretty well when called on last year.

So combine that with his attitude, which I don’t see going down well with Dimes, and I don’t think it’s a worthwhile option, even if he is a class player.
By Yareet
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:00 pm
So, in this imaginary scenario, there is a grade 1 international prop available, our tally of which currently stands at 0, and you wouldn't consider taking him?.

Why can we not have 3 tightheads in the squad? (other than an abundance of props isn't the Sale way)
Our tally stands at 1. He may not have been brought in as 3 but Shrek was cited last Summer as a springbok missing due to injury.

I’m not against 3 3s. I am against 3 3s who all expect to be first choice. Even with rotation, at least one will be frustrated.
By StalyShark
poyntonshark wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:09 pm
Shreks last cap was 5 years ago, I reckon 0 is closer.
November 2017 when he had a serious ACL and MCL injury and was out for 10 months.
By Clutch
Having some tier 1 internationals isn’t a bad thing. Sarries have plenty and they do ok with them missing a good chunk of the season. Plus, it’s not actually that bad on a normal year. Not signing class because they are internationals doesn’t work as an argument. That’s the pool we are in. If we want quality home grown talent it’s the price we have to pay.
As long as it doesn’t upset the squad balance and dynamic etc. Sinclair is first choice Eng 3 and probably on the bench for a lions 22.

A top team needs a top front 3. I have loads of time for our squad and it’s massively improved. But it’s still not strong compared to our top 4 rivals. Not like our back 3 3 row for example, which is ludicrously good.
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]