By TVM
Whatsapp'd a mate with that link yesterday, under the comment 'I think you'd better go for a lie down, Michael'
By west brom warrior
He should think he is the best he is a professional sportsman, he is also driven in trying to get his spot back after the World Cup. I personally wish him all the best he is a very good player.
By TeflonTed
west brom warrior wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:23 pm
He should think he is the best he is a professional sportsman, he is also driven in trying to get his spot back after the World Cup. I personally wish him all the best he is a very good player.
Of course he’s a very good player, and of course he should be confident in his own ability. But if I’d been dropped by a coach, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be saying what he said...which shows a degree of arrogance, and takes a swipe at the very bloke he should be trying to influence positively.

"I tried to put everything I had on the training field, but it wasn't enough in the end," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.
"That's the nature of team sport and selection - it's one man's opinion."
Brown last played for England last summer but believes he remains capable of performing at the highest level.
"I feel like I'm the best English full-back, and I think I showed that last season," he said.”
By patgadd
My opinion of Mike Brown is on a par with yours, Ted, but have you ever met an international player who doesn't have, in your words, "a degree of arrogance"? What I'm saying is that I agree with you, but that WBW has a valid point.
By TeflonTed
patgadd wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 pm
My opinion of Mike Brown is on a par with yours, Ted, but have you ever met an international player who doesn't have, in your words, "a degree of arrogance"? What I'm saying is that I agree with you, but that WBW has a valid point.

Generally true...but you clearly have never met Gareth Edwards!!
By patgadd
TeflonTed wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Not only have I met him more than once; I was invited to his retirement do in Pontardulais in the company of Merve the Swerve and all his contemporaries. The amount of arrogance and bluster was similar to events with both English and Scottish internationals (never experienced an Irish do).
By TeflonTed
patgadd wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:56 am
TeflonTed wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Not only have I met him more than once; I was invited to his retirement do in Pontardulais in the company of Merve the Swerve and all his contemporaries. The amount of arrogance and bluster was similar to events with both English and Scottish internationals (never experienced an Irish do).
Have we not discussed that before? My personal one to one experiences of GE run to only 2 events, but at both I found him modest and charming, and was told he’d refused any form of payment or expenses, which in those days (early 80’s) was highly unusual.
By ROLLO
Dealing with the compnay owned by Roger Blyth's father and uncle, who Mervyn Davies also worked for I met a lot of the Welsh internations of the day at rugby nights, also Elgin Rees who worked for a competitor of Blyths.
Nvere found them arrogant , indeed often quite the opposite. Very good cmpany and happy memories.
By TeflonTed
ROLLO wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:27 am
Dealing with the compnay owned by Roger Blyth's father and uncle, who Mervyn Davies also worked for I met a lot of the Welsh internations of the day at rugby nights, also Elgin Rees who worked for a competitor of Blyths.
Nvere found them arrogant , indeed often quite the opposite. Very good cmpany and happy memories.
Ooh, Elgan Rees, who, quite like the Duke of Bayswater, has got a pretty daughter.
By patgadd
Actually Ted, you might be able to help me out. By far the most extreme example of arrogance at GE's retirement do was from someone who had long ago decided he was The Voice Of Welsh Rugby, and apparently always insisted on being announced as such. He gave a (very) long speech, mostly about himself, but I'm blowed if I can remember his name.
By poyntonshark
Cliff Morgan?

Self-confidence can often be mistaken for/morph into arrogance. I can't recall meeting any top-level rugby player that I would describe as arrogant. David Campese is a humourless prick, but that's about as close as I got.

Strangely down here in Aus, and also in NZ being called arrogant can be taken as a compliment. Their reasoning is that no-one would show anything like arrogance if they hadn't earned it.

Is saying you are good when you are good arrogant?
By SimonG
I can imagine Mike Brown(like the vast majority of rugby players) to be not at all arrogant when you meet him in public but that if you were a journalist and were to sit him down and interview him about his feelings on his own abilities he might be seen as being arrogant (like the vast majority of rugby players).
By TeflonTed
Could well have been Cliff Morgan.

A good player, and a great commentator. Probably best remembered for coverage of the 1973 BaaBaa’s v AB’s, and the try started under his own posts by Phil Bennett, and scored by one Mr G Edwards. ( who never ever mentioned it again, what with him not being arrogant).

Sadly, Morgan’s broadcasting career was ended by a cancer which necessitated the removal of his larynx, although he survived and made it to 83 years of age.

That try.....
By A38
Four points for a try! It was some game. I remember wanting David Duckham to get a try but it never came.

Looking at the clip again, there looked to be one or two tackles which might have been rather high by today's standards.
TeflonTed, Abmatt liked this
By TeflonTed
A38 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:52 pm
Four points for a try! It was some game. I remember wanting David Duckham to get a try but it never came.

Looking at the clip again, there looked to be one or two tackles which might have been rather high by today's standards.
There were several Englishmen involved in that play, but Taffs on the most important ends!
By SimonG
Some wonderful moments of individual brilliance from David Duckham in that game if you get a chance to watch it in full. He must have been so pleased to actually see some of the ball as opposed to when he played for England at that time.
By TeflonTed
SimonG wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 pm
Some wonderful moments of individual brilliance from David Duckham in that game if you get a chance to watch it in full. He must have been so pleased to actually see some of the ball as opposed to when he played for England at that time.
I’d have a chance to watch it again anytime, if I only had a machine to get the VHS cartridge into!
By patgadd
No, he wasn't a player; he just claimed to know more about rugby than the host of international talent on show that night.
By SimonG
TeflonTed wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:13 pm
SimonG wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 pm
I’d have a chance to watch it again anytime, if I only had a machine to get the VHS cartridge into!
Here you go Ted. Don't say I don't look after you!
Flumpty, TeflonTed liked this
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]