Olyy wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:17 pm
Schonert officially released early by Worcester, no club named but hopefully an announcement soon

Chris Pennell leaving Wuss as well, though think he's probably a bit old for what we're looking for (though I do still rate him very highly)
Pennell has completely lost any pace from what I’ve seen, don’t see any merit in signing him when we already have a steady experienced full back. We need someone offering pace in the back three as an option
Elgar wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:07 am
Shillcock played very well against us last time out. Very quick and an Elliot Daly-esque left boot.

Would be quite pleased if we signed Shillcock actually.
Not sure that would go down particularly well. He was the guy Denny supposedly upset.
Van Cannonball wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:17 am
They have Nanai who started the season really well until injured, and Shillcock has played well there too, so don’t think they’ll be in the market for a 15
And a little-known winger who's been known to play 15. Scored a few tries. More clubs than Woosnam ;)
McIntyre would indeed be a great signing. Having looked on his Wasps profile, seems he started at 3 but moved to 1. If we signed him and Schonert we'd have exceptional depth at prop, with five of the six also being EQP!
45jumper wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:05 pm
McIntyre would indeed be a great signing. Having looked on his Wasps profile, seems he started at 3 but moved to 1. If we signed him and Schonert we'd have exceptional depth at prop, with five of the six also being EQP!
And 4/6 academy products
remember McIIntyre when he came through the academy and if I am honest didnt think he would make it but that was as a 3. the move to 1 has done wonders for him and definitely a destructive loosehead in the mould of Morozov. However concern is not his ability but he has missed a lot of time with injuries over the last 2 (maybe 3) seasons. Signing him would be a risk if I am honest.
He came through in the era of the #22 man squad, so props were often asked to play both sides to be able to cover from the bench - definitely found his place at loosehead after that, though.

As above: I was surprised with how well he kicked on at Wasps

If I were Axe I'd definitely be on the blower to Si's agent - even if it's just to offer a 1yr contract to see how his injuries fair etc.
Solid confirmation that Schonert is headed our way (If rumours are to be believed he may be available to bolster our semi-final scrum). Lifted from a post by @TeflonTed on Worcester site, they had an end of season party yesterday as their game was cancelled.
Also asked Sharky if he knew what a Barm Cake was, and he laughed and said “yes”.
Schonert was known as Sharky even before talk of him joining us.
poyntonshark wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:22 am
Solid confirmation that Schonert is headed our way (If rumours are to be believed he may be available to bolster our semi-final scrum). Lifted from a post by @TeflonTed on Worcester site, they had an end of season party yesterday as their game was cancelled.
Also asked Sharky if he knew what a Barm Cake was, and he laughed and said “yes”.
Indeed he was.

And I didn’t bother mentioning on the Wuss site but another well known player we chatted to, (also with Sale connections, and an interest in a certain all-time Premiership try-scorer table) was discussing the relative merits of certain residential areas near the AJ Bell.

When various parts of Cheshire were discussed he said he thought there was better availability of Biltong in Altrincham.
TeflonTed wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:21 am
poyntonshark wrote:
Indeed he was.

And I didn’t bother mentioning on the Wuss site but another well known player we chatted to, (also with Sale connections, and an interest in a certain all-time Premiership try-scorer table) was discussing the relative merits of certain residential areas near the AJ Bell.

When various parts of Cheshire were discussed he said he thought there was better availability of Biltong in Altrincham.
Ashton back to Sale?

I did wonder about that given the other signings you've made in that position without releasing many yet, the Sanderson connection, and he does seem to continually make a point on the BBC rugby podcast about neither Quins nor Worcester being conveniently placed for where he wants to live now.
Elgar wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:33 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:21 am
poyntonshark wrote:

Indeed he was.

Ashton back to Sale?

I did wonder about that given the other signings you've made in that position without releasing many yet, the Sanderson connection, and he does seem to continually make a point on the BBC rugby podcast about neither Quins nor Worcester being conveniently placed for where he wants to live now.
No, not Ashie heading back. I was thinking more of Schonert!!
Didn't Simon Orange pay off Ashy's house loan from Saracens as part of his signing deal?
Maybe he wants his moneys worth :mrgreen:

As TT mentions above, though, it's Schoenert that looks to be on the move this way :)
Imagine it's a bit more boisterous than a typical Malbec Sunday. Good on them, well deserved.

McIntyre seems to be confirmed albeit not officially. Is he a genuine both side of the scrum prop? Or only so far as Coennie is (albeit better at 1 rather than 3 [McIntyre that is])?
Not sure that kind of versatility and money saving will appeal to Sanderson. Think he will stick to one side. We have enough strength in depth that the versatility is irrelevant unless we get serious injuries. Compared to the days when Harrison and Vadim had to play 70 a game.
Thanks. In that case, If (which I'd have said was a big 'if' except his form seems to have really got together in the last 4-6 weeks) Coenie is with the Boks for the autumn, I think we would want to look at another TH (additionally to Schonert) on a short term contract. Harper looks the real deal but it does put a lot of pressure on him to have only he and Schonert as front line THs for that long a period. Next down the depth chart would be, I think, Cal Ford? Presume he's got a very decent future but whether this autumn is the right time to introduce him, potentially in the same matchday 23 as James Harper, I don't know.
Great news for Sale & Cam Neild, especially after his injury last weekend. Very consistent player when he gets a chance in the squad.
Tuesday is the regular press day I believe, so wonder if tomorrow we will then hear of the comings and goings for 2021/2? Unless there are some well kept secrets, we are unlikely to see a lot of changes anyway.
If he is going I shall particularly miss Morozov, who always made me smile with his swagger and massive frame. He looked to enjoy the scrap, and made big improvements in his scrummaging technique and reduced the penalty count against him he had in his early days here.
LJK wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:05 pm
Great news for Sale & Cam Neild, especially after his injury last weekend. Very consistent player when he gets a chance in the squad.
Tuesday is the regular press day I believe, so wonder if tomorrow we will then hear of the comings and goings for 2021/2? Unless there are some well kept secrets, we are unlikely to see a lot of changes anyway.
If he is going I shall particularly miss Morozov, who always made me smile with his swagger and massive frame. He looked to enjoy the scrap, and made big improvements in his scrummaging technique and reduced the penalty count against him he had in his early days here.
I also really enjoy watching morozov play, a classic diamond value signing come good
One item of consideration for our current makeup when it comes to renewals is the number of pretty expensive players we have who spend a lot of time injured - and they tend to be mid-long term injuries. Under Dimes we used to pride ourselves on how we managed players workloads - not sure if we've had some bad luck recently - players like Akker, Josh B, Van Rensburg and I type this I see Manu is crook again - Lood, Denny spend more time off the pitch then on. AJ is a bit mixed as he really throws himself around.

Maybe it's just been all a bit unfortunate but I'm sure Sanderson will do some due diligence.

For me - we need a few experienced props required to manage the transition through to the youngsters. Maybe another winger - very happy with Reed's development so tricky for the likes of him plus a few others to ensure they path into regular 1st XV isn't blocked.

15 is fairly clearly our biggest gap.
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:40 pm
15 is fairly clearly our biggest gap.
Agree (aside from the churn at prop). But unless someone really high end is available, can see all of Sam James, Wilkinson, Reed, maybe even Doherty and Rob Du Preez have a few goes each to see if any of them can put a marker down. Even if that's only as a stop-gap until the right signing comes off or Carpenter comes through.
With the upturn in form of AJ I’d quite like to see RdP get a trial run at 15 - he’s definitely got all the attributes, and then Wilkinson getting time at 10 where possible.

I’d like to see Luke back in the centres for next year, his development was crazy but i think when it got to up and unders the wheels fell off and it’s not been good for his confidence.

Then hopefully one of the younger players to get some more exposure at 15 through the year.
Playing RDP at 15 doesn’t solve the pace issue. Wilkinson has got wheels, so perhaps 15 is the home for him for a year. Based on his form from 2 years ago and his slightly bizarre cameo last week he looks like a player like Rafi who we need to be getting involved as much as possible. If that’s an the expense of RDP at 10 then so be it. The whole point of our SA imports is to plug gaps before the jets fill it. Not that I want RDP to be leaving as I like him. I was firmly in the RDP side RDP v AJ camp earlier before AJ improved out of sight.

We have Curtis as well who is talented, and versatile. And has Dean Schofield looking after him!!
I agree I’d like Wilkinson playing, but I’d prefer it in his proper position.

I’m not sure any of the youngsters are ready to be the regular 15, and I think RdP could put in a better showing in comparison to the current starting options.

I’d have Luke in the squad position of Hill, and Wilkinson as 2nd to AJ rather than 3rd. That should get him plenty of exposure. Then Carpenter or Gourlay or whoever is next cab at 15 as the 23 shirt.
RDP doesn't bring raw pace but he would still bring more of a ball in hand threat than either of the current 15s (on this season's form). And he's a better kicking game.

Also, not sure it's that simple that we could just let RDP go without it potentially shortening his twin brothers' stay at the club; who I'd presume would be among the very last imports that we'd want to see go.
Elgar wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:21 pm
Also, not sure it's that simple that we could just let RDP go without it potentially shortening his twin brothers' stay at the club; who I'd presume would be among the very last imports that we'd want to see go.
After Faf and Lood maybe, but yes I want them to stay a while yet!

I'm just trying to envisage the reaction on here when Hammers gets a new contract! :lol
Ahead of Faf and Lood I’d say. Lood is ridiculous but he’s not really played for us and as good as Faf is he is inconsistent.

I’d have no problem with Hammersley signing a contract. He’s a good squad option. He just shouldn’t be starting semi finals.

I think Van C is correct. Keep Wilkinson in his best position, Luke J back to centre and try RDP at 15 in rotation with Carpenter and Hammersley as the 3rd option.

Intrigued to see where Curtis fits in with all this.
Hammersley has no place in the squad. He gets caught out of position and rarely breaks the line. Every time he takes it into contact the opposition makes a dominant hit, he has no physicality. Not only that but his playmaking skills are average at best and his work under the high ball is pretty poor. You can get away with some of this if you have pace but he must be the slowest in the premiership. He's a decent one-on-one defender, but apart from that?
Compare and contrast to Nowell at the weekend, it was night and day. If there's no room in the cap for a new signing, I'd give Carpenter or Gourlay a go before Hammersley. He seems a nice enough bloke but he's just not good enough.
Morozov announced for CSKA Rugby in Moscow

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQdHNyUgAyB/
"The air and water in the capital have warmed up so much that real sharks have come to the waters of the Moskva River! 🦈
⚡️ This is #transfer CSKA, red and blue! Yes, what!
💪🏼 The current winner of the English League Cup, the constant pillar of the base of the Russian national team @official_rur, a participant in the English Premiership and the European Champions Cup for the last two seasons with @salesharks VALERY MOROZOV!
Valera, you're at home. CVL! 🔴🔵"

Sad to see him leave - still only 26, though. Never know, maybe there's a future for him here after a season or two back home.
Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

It could suit both parties. SJ gets a new experi[…]

Covid Repayments

Look at the going concern statements in Glaws acco[…]

LC-D health scare

Not great news for the poor lad, must be a worry. […]

Great shame, I had hoped he would get into coachin[…]