Ha, yes - 10 is pretty much an emergency now.

You'd struggle to convince me Atkins will ever be a prem-standard 10, but I'd love to be wrong, and as you say, with TBC's retirement, it might be prudent to keep him on as third choice, on a one-year-deal.
By M_W
I'd probably want to see him playing ten in a strongest team, before writing him off. Only really seen him recently in the understrength teams we were putting out last summer.

Without being proven though, he shouldn't be anything more than third choice. Return of the Prem Cup next season (hopefully) will be good for him, as he and some of the younger lads have barely played any rugby this year.
shimmieandshake, MattM liked this
By GHA
Not sure how true the earlier rumours were, but now Bayonne have been relegated to D2 there are new rumours that Huw Jones had a clause in the potential signing allowing him to pull out if they went down...
By Narbia
GHA wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:20 pm
Not sure how true the earlier rumours were, but now Bayonne have been relegated to D2 there are new rumours that Huw Jones had a clause in the potential signing allowing him to pull out if they went down...
Well the only thing currently certain about Hugh Jones is that he has officially left Glasgow Warriors, as it's announced on their offy.

Ian Keatly has left as well.
By GC89
I really like Jones but the signing only would have made sense if Rona was off. Now he’s staying I don’t think it’s the best use of our resources. Find a dominant 12 to play alongside him and we could really be cooking in the backs next season.
Jones would still be a great signing in theory as he can play centre and full back to a high level so could rotate with (or possibly play alongside) Rona and cover Parton. That said, the cap reduction means there probably isn't the money for him if he were to have a release clause as we arguably need to spend on some props and a fly half first.
By M_W
I've got a lot of time for Elrington. Offers a huge amount in the loose and has a big engine. Wouldn't be at all surprised if he made a good go of it elsewhere.

At the same time, I'm not surprised he's not been retained. He has never really been strong enough in the scrum and has been a vulnerability for us there (even before this season). The contrast with the solidity WGC offers is pretty stark.

Good luck to him though and hope he proves everyone wrong on that front.
shimmieandshake, MattM liked this
By MattM
shimmieandshake wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 pm
Thought Homer had signed for Montauban? Wonder what changed.

Anyway, shame he couldn't regain the form from his first stint this time around, but will still be fondly remembered - good luck to him.
Sounds like his focus isn't on the game anymore so rather than a year of getting his body battered in France he's opted to hang up the boots on his terms.
shimmieandshake liked this
By M_W
Looks like Naholo and Matu'u are going if Hepetema's Instagram post is anything to go by.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Naholo hasn't been selected in the last month or two in order for them to activate a break clause.
By Narbia
I hope the club are going to announce the departees in a more formal manner than just drip feeding through social media. :googledeyed:

Long gone seem to be the days, when the guys leaving were awarded a framed numbered shirt and a long applause from the standing fans ten minutes after the last home match. (This year's health crisis notwithstanding).

It just felt kinda right for supporters to say ; thanks for all your efforts and best wishes moving on. :clap:
By GHA
Take these with a pinch of salt as stats can be hard to come by, but...

2019-2021 - Naholo 4 appearances, 2 tries
2017-2019 - Nalaga 5 appearances, 1 try
2017-2019 - Saulo, 3 appearances
2015-2016 - Waldouck, 5 appearances
2014 - Goode, pre-season training
2013 - van der Linde, 20 minutes
2012-2014 - Sa, 4 appearances
Narbia, Lazyboy346 liked this
By Narbia
GHA wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:22 pm
I remember that game. He was terrific in the loose. I believe he came hired with both knees already crocked. :crazy:
GHA wrote:
Goode : What! You expect me to train? :evillaugh:
GHA wrote:
Take these with a pinch of salt as stats can be hard to come by, but...

2019-2021 - Naholo 4 appearances, 2 tries
2017-2019 - Nalaga 5 appearances, 1 try
2017-2019 - Saulo, 3 appearances
2015-2016 - Waldouck, 5 appearances
2012-2014 - Sa, 4 appearances
Can anyone remember Sa playing? At least CJ was memorable before he basically disintegrated.
M_W wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 pm
Looks like Naholo and Matu'u are going if Hepetema's Instagram post is anything to go by.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Naholo hasn't been selected in the last month or two in order for them to activate a break clause.
What's the gist of Hepetemas post?
By M_W
Florida wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:49 pm
M_W wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 pm

What's the gist of Hepetemas post?
Just a picture of them both, saying he'll miss them.

Would be kind of funny if it were actually Hepetema that was going, now it's got people talking, but pretty sure that's not the case.
If that's true, such a shame we never got to see Naholo in full flow, but seems a smart move to cut our losses now, especially given our relative strength on the wings compared to other areas of the squad.

I hope the club can also, rather belatedly, learn from this.

Some injury prone players come good and provide excellent value - it's unfortunate Arno Botha and Piet Van Zyl were short-term deals - but the difference with them is that they showed up fit.

Signing currently injured players, especially when the injury is significant, is just too much of a lottery.

Anyway, one gun tighthead and one excellent playmaking 12 please!
By M_W
I guess, the issue with Naholo is that his injury record wasn't terrible, other than the broken leg he had in the lead up to the 2015 wc (from memory)

We signed him before he picked up his latest knee issue playing Super Rugby. I'm not sure how serious that would have seemed at the time and if we were even able to break the contract at that point.

Agree with the general point though.
M_W wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:20 am
I guess, the issue with Naholo is that his injury record wasn't terrible, other than the broken leg he had in the lead up to the 2015 wc (from memory)

We signed him before he picked up his latest knee issue playing Super Rugby. I'm not sure how serious that would have seemed at the time and if we were even able to break the contract at that point.

Oh really? Maybe my memory playing tricks - I was under the impression the knee was already banjaxed before he signed for us. Totally changes the complexion of my previous comment if he signed, and later got injured. That's just rubbish luck rather than questionable judgement.

But yes, as you say, general point still stands, even if the evidence doesn't!
By M_W
shimmieandshake wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 am
M_W wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:20 am

Oh really? Maybe my memory playing tricks - I was under the impression the knee was already banjaxed before he signed for us. Totally changes the complexion of my previous comment if he signed, and later got injured. That's just rubbish luck rather than questionable judgement.

But yes, as you say, general point still stands, even if the evidence doesn't!
Just had a look and your memory isn't playing tricks. Injury was early April (reported as likely a six week injury...) and he was announced a month later in early May 2019.

However he was heavily linked to us as early as the January, so suspect contracts were actually signed before before the injury.

Who knows though, I may be wrong and I have no idea what the implications would have been for backing out of a signing before a player joins up with the squad.

Either way though, I think we'll be very careful with due diligence on big money signings in future!
By M_W
GHA wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:54 am
M_W wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:31 am
I think we'll be very careful with due diligence on big money signings in future!
Are you suggesting we are finally learning our lesson?!

:pray:
We'll see. To be fair, for me SOB is the only one that stands out as a really high risk signing and I can sort of see why they pulled the trigger on that. Again signed before the last injury, but it was clear he had dodgy hips

We've been a bit unlucky with everyone out at the same time. Interestingly guys like Phipps and Rona have been pretty bullet proof in their 2 seasons with us*

*touch wood
MattM, shimmieandshake liked this
By GC89
Ben White released by Leicester. I expect he will be ending up with us. Must admit, haven't seen much of him, but feels like a very sensible signing and hopefully someone who can thrive with a bit more responsibility and game time. His pedigree at youth level is certainly impressive.
By M_W
Rory Brand will be sick of the sight of him if he does end up here. Kept him on the bench for the U20s and may end up nudging him aside here as well.

Would be a decent signing if there is anything in it though. He's been usurped a bit at Leicester, but he's still a decent prospect and pretty experienced for his age
Lazyboy346 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:49 am
Jones would still be a great signing in theory as he can play centre and full back to a high level so could rotate with (or possibly play alongside) Rona and cover Parton. That said, the cap reduction means there probably isn't the money for him if he were to have a release clause as we arguably need to spend on some props and a fly half first.
Well if we were serious players for him we might be about to find out. He is not joining Bayonne after all given their failure to be promoted.

https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/rugby/bayon ... 60409.html
I was at the U20 World Cup final England v France in Beziers in 2018. Ben White was metronomic but uninspired. Rory Brand replaced him in the final few minutes and was instrumental in creating an England try. For me, any suggestion that we would recruit White ahead of Brand would be a serious mistake.
By Narbia
Narbia wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:35 pm
Well the only thing currently certain about Hugh Jones is that he has officially left Glasgow Warriors, as it's announced on their offy.
As Jonathon Joseph looks like RC Toulonnaise bound, there's a centre spot needing filled. Can't see HJ going to other than us or Bath, if he is headed to England, and not going to France.

Edit : might throw Worcester in as a possibility too.
By M_W
Naholo confirmed by him as leaving on Instagram.

In know his paycheck must have taken a fair bit of the pain away, but it will have been a frustrating couple of seasons for him.
By GHA
Naholo no longer

The message:

“good times never last, luck always ends and time runs out.”

As my time here in London comes to an end, I’d like to thank London Irish for the opportunity to come up this ways to play and work with some amazing players I now call friends and some family. Big thank you to the supporters and fans for the love, I appreciate you all for that. I can’t say it has been the easiest journey, but such is life. It’s never the destination but the journey and I’ve enjoyed most of it.

Vinaka. Moce mada 🙏☘️
Pretty clear where our money needs to go.

We're four injuries (or suspension, in a certain somebody's case) away from a backline of: Englefield, Atkins, Cokanasiga, Williams.

Which, unfortunately, would struggle badly in the premiership.

Also, Parton, OHC, Loader, Stokes isn't enough across the back three. I know Will Joseph and Williams cover wing, but we definitely need another solid prem pro type back three cover. Someone in lieu of Andrew Fenby, maybe.

Also not guaranteed we'll solve the tighthead problem, given Lovejoy, Gigena and Dell are all staying.

Intrigued about who the remaining five of the seven are, fingers crossed...
By GC89
It sounds as if Mahu won't be replaced, but all other departures will (with Gigena already replacing Elrington and Willemse already announced for Matu'u).

So a tighthead and then a 9 to replace Meehan/Groom, a 10/12 to replace Theo, and then three back three players for Kerr, Naholo and Homer.

Personally would prefer one big carrier to come into the back row and challenge but don't think that is going to happen. Hopefully Donnell pushes on.
If it was me, I'd only sign one back three cover. Preferably a full back who can play wing.

Between OHC, Parton, Loader, Stokes, New Guy, we'd have our core and majority coverage, and then Joseph, Williams, Rona to cover wing in case we're beleaguered by injury.

We looked seriously light in the midfield this season - we saw how quickly Stokes ended up playing 12 - so I'd actually hope for the signings to be:

1) Quality 10/12
2) Good 12/13
3) Good 15/11/14
4) Good 9
5) Quality tighthead

And it would be a bonus if we bagged a Huw Jones type who is even more versatile for cover.

I also have a funny feeling we won't be signing a tighthead, and that Lovejoy, Dell, Gigena is our lot. Hope I'm wrong, or that some serious improvements are made to the scrummaging of one or two.

Definitely going to be a thin squad; not sure who our fitness & conditioning staff are but they're going to be critical.
By M_W
I'd agree. Wouldn't go too heavy on the back three. We just need to be able to service the prem squad really and have lots of quality youngsters that should be getting a shot in Europe and the Prem Cup. Dykes, Harmes and Joseph will all be factors there you'd think.

I'd definitely want someone who could at least cover FB. There will surely be a TH coming in and that should be where we spend any big money we have (Just Lovejoy and Hoskins there at the moment). Then agree, it's further 10/midfield cover that's the priority.

Will be interesting to see whether they are counting Academy promotions in those incoming numbers. So definitely Donnell, probably Englefield and Munga (a year early), possibly Izzy/Atkins (although they may be struggling)
Last edited by M_W on Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]