By Olyy
Good win for Budgies at Bath, and Wasps really put Bristol to the sword without looking particularly unbeatable themselves - they'll only get stronger as they have more time under their new coaching staff
Late winner for Saints at Chiefs as well

Chiefs and Bristol both 0-2, and 12th/13th in the table after two rounds - not sure how many would've predicted that!
By Olyy
Good to see the Budgies doing well, they play a very entertaining brand of rugby and have some great, local, players in their side
The last 2mins or so of their game today was nuts!

Not sure what they've got against Wasps players eyes, though - backing up last seasons gouge on Bassett with a gouge, today, on Gopperth. Hopefully Penny is punished to the full extend of the law, no place for it in the game.
By SimonG
Clutch wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:20 pm
Not yet convinced it’s deliberate
Indeed but it is interesting that if you make contact with an opponent's head with force it doesn't matter if it was accidental or not so should it be different if you make contact with the eye of an opponent? Both can have very severe consequences for the injured party.

(Not sure I have an answer to my own question).
chris1850 liked this
By Clutch
You are correct. Player is responsible for his actions I guess. Would like some common sense applied. Should be less than the Carraras one for example.
By ageinghoody
SimonG wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:53 am
Clutch wrote:
Indeed but it is interesting that if you make contact with an opponent's head with force it doesn't matter if it was accidental or not so should it be different if you make contact with the eye of an opponent? Both can have very severe consequences for the injured party.

So much relies on perception though, doesn't it?

I recall Mark Cueto being cited for "making contact ... etc." when neither he, the officials, nor even the alleged victim (Christian Day?), were aware that the incident had occurred.
DaveAitch liked this
By SimonG
ageinghoody wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:32 pm
SimonG wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:53 am
Clutch wrote:

So much relies on perception though, doesn't it?

I recall Mark Cueto being cited for "making contact ... etc." when neither he, the officials, nor even the alleged victim (Christian Day?), were aware that the incident had occurred.
I'd say yes and no. Certainly we all perceive these incidents differently but referees can't.

In the "good old days" a referee was left to make up his own mind and act accordingly. Nowadays in an attempt to be consistent and for player safety reasons refs seem to have little choice but to refer to the ABC guidelines provided to them.
By Olyy
DavenportSharky wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:51 pm
Extraordinary. Difficult to see Smith not starting for Jones now. If next week we are 21 up after 20 minutes, God help us.
Watch EJ start Vunipola and Farrell!

Dombrandt was genuinely amazing, exactly what England have been crying out for for years
Curry, Underhill, Dombrandt would be a ludicrously talented backrow
DaveAitch liked this
By SSR
Only saw the prem TV highlights, but must say that Quinns looked on fire and Bristol faded
badly. Hope we put on a better show, but our second half performances to date don't bode well.
By SimonG
Bristol play a very open game which helps Quins style of play. I think they will find it much more difficult next week.
By Surbiton_Shark
The Bath game was absolute car crash TV

Unsurprisingly I've noticed social media and the papers now rumouring Dimes in talks with them.

I was half-wondering if Cips doesn't fancy Bath and if AJ's injury's don't clear up if he would come back on a loan though penalty kicking would be a problem.
By Olyy
As much as I love Cips I think that would be a big big risk - I've no doubt that Axe could get the best out of him (like Dimes did) but how long would it take to get him out of his funk?
By Surbiton_Shark
Is Cam another one who is injury prone (thinking of the Addison thread) - he's injured again at the moment I think - seems to have had a lot considering his age
By LJK
I only watched the first half from the Rec. but it was so one sided I switched off. Can't understand how a team oozing with talent as Bath are, failed so spectacularly, but then again Sarries were on fire.
I did wonder if Bath fail to resolve the issues soon, if Cipriani would look for a way out before long
By DaveAitch
Sides playing well tend to convert chances, while those playing poorly don't. At one point in the game the stats were: Bath, 4 times in the opposition 22 - no points, Saracens 4 times - 28 points.
By Bronzbronx
Really excited for next season with GF in control, not too worried about this season, as hard as that's to say, team needs a bit of rebalancing, tonnes of bosh will only get us so far.
By chris1850
Bronzbronx wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Really excited for next season with GF in control, not too worried about this season, as hard as that's to say, team needs a bit of rebalancing, tonnes of bosh will only get us so far.
Yes, agreed. My main concern would be who we get to replace the rumoured leavers
By SixNineOne
It’s easy for people to get carried away when a new wonder-winger appears on the scene who quickly compiles an eye-catching highlights reel. Lynagh, however, is by no means the finished article. The real test of his abilities will be his development in defence, which at the moment is slightly suspect. But he’s still young and one would hope to see him working hard over the next couple of years to develop his all round game.
By Olyy
I actually prefer to watch Murley at Quins - he doesn't have the right surname, though, so doesn't get the column inches
By Olyy
Yeah, I'm not saying Lynagh is bad or anything, he's a very very good young winger - just think the praise for him gets turned up a notch because of the name
By dinogyro
Really like Bristol last year, but some of Lam's comments have put me right off them now.

It may be me, but is Dimes getting Wuss to play like we used to? Lots of un-chaseable kicks?
By pitprop
Is it just me, or are others getting the impressions that Lam and some players are not getting on as well as last season? Hughes now plying his trade at Bath, Groves with us after a very curt departure announcement? Maybe its just me adding 8 + 4 and getting 35!
By Olyy
pitprop wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:41 am
Is it just me, or are others getting the impressions that Lam and some players are not getting on as well as last season? Hughes now plying his trade at Bath, Groves with us after a very curt departure announcement? Maybe its just me adding 8 + 4 and getting 35!
I don't listen to his podcast but I saw someone on twitter say Andy Goode was talking about how all is not well at Bristol, culture wise
By SimonG
Olyy wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:12 pm
pitprop wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:41 am
I don't listen to his podcast but I saw someone on twitter say Andy Goode was talking about how all is not well at Bristol, culture wise
Andy Goode never stops talking but despite this he rarely says anything interesting.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]