By Olyy
Bloody hell, that's not good at all :(

I think we need to be looking at short term cover - if Raffi is in the England squad then he'll likely be in the 6N squad too, that's a long time to be down two scrumhalves,
Three if Wilf is out too (as above: no idea what his current injury is)

Warr looks promising from the bench but not sure how I'd feel having Warr as first choice and then Thomas, who's never played senior pro rugby, as 2nd choice
By StalyShark
Eddie won’t let any of the three 9s go for match days as he’ll keep them in the match day squad just in case. I think we’ll need to scout around. Nick Groom at Tel Aviv?
By DaveAitch
At least he will be fresh when he does come back. It's the opportunity for someone to become a legend.
By StalyShark
An injured Cliff and a virtually untested Warr isn’t ideal. Definitely need another experienced head unless this Thomas fella is Raffi mk2.
By RinTin
Do we get anything from SA for this mess? Everything i've read is stating Faf was injured against the Lions. The duty of care was therefore with SA which is very disappointing.

Said it before, Chris Cook from Saints. Chiefs have a lot of scrum halves on their books, but Townsend having surgery means they likely won't loan any out. James Mitchell at Jersey has been impressive this year.

That being said I'm fully expecting to bring in an Ozzy/ Kiwi on a short term deal due to it being their off season. Someone like Fin Christie from the Blues or Joe Powell from the Rebels would be nice for 3 months.
By Olyy
His salary won't count towards the cap until he plays for us, so we'll have plenty of room to bring in cover

Don't think Unions pay out for injuries, though, so it'd be an extra expenditure
RinTin liked this
By Elgar
RinTin wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:56 am
James Mitchell at Jersey has been impressive this year.
Good call in terms of probability.
By ledzepsfr
RinTin wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:56 am
Do we get anything from SA for this mess? Everything i've read is stating Faf was injured against the Lions. The duty of care was therefore with SA which is very disappointing.

Said it before, Chris Cook from Saints. Chiefs have a lot of scrum halves on their books, but Townsend having surgery means they likely won't loan any out. James Mitchell at Jersey has been impressive this year.

That being said I'm fully expecting to bring in an Ozzy/ Kiwi on a short term deal due to it being their off season. Someone like Fin Christie from the Blues or Joe Powell from the Rebels would be nice for 3 months.
Love to see Joe Powell in a Sale shirt :)
RinTin liked this
By Van Cannonball
Doesn’t Faf have to take some culpability for continuing to play injured in addition to the SA medics?

I’m all for giving Faf every opportunity to play for his country, but as a seasoned pro he should know better.
By poyntonshark
Doesn't that improve the chances of getting an overseas 9? (Not a French one) As fewer of them will be going to the big money in France if they are not JIFF (which I assume is the equivalent of EQP)
By Elgar
Doesn't the reference in that to the JIFF protocols (about French clubs fielding France eligible players) suggest that the international market won't be affected by French demand? Which is net neutral for us (unless we were hoping to get a French 9 ourselves on short term cover).
By StalyShark
If the clubs have lost so many 9s then the demand for ones brought in from outside the league will rise. Such clubs will probably look for top-class short term cover from non JIFF players and make up their quota with back three players on the bench. Well, that’s what I’d do if I was a planning mon jour avec ma croissant dans le matin à Racing.
By Elgar
That's an interesting interpretation of the article which introduces itself as related to demand for 9s in France rather than demand from France.

The explanation of JIFF rules provided in the article suggests that many clubs wanting to sign a foreign 9 might have to drop another non-JIFF player out of their 35 man squad (which might not be a great thing to do with that player for quite a few reasons) along with the injured 9 and sign a JIFF substitute for that dropped player along with the non-JIFF replacement 9.
By chris1850
StalyShark wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:06 pm
If the clubs have lost so many 9s then the demand for ones brought in from outside the league will rise. Such clubs will probably look for top-class short term cover from non JIFF players and make up their quota with back three players on the bench. Well, that’s what I’d do if I was a planning mon jour avec ma croissant dans le matin à Racing.
En matin?
Chez Racing?

A level D grade French 1977.......
Obviously happy to be corrected!!
By poyntonshark
Ça m'a l'air d'être un jeu dangereux, avec ou sans croissant.

O level A grade French 1984 (corrected by actual French person)
By StalyShark
Desole, mon francais est comme le caca la chien mais j’aime le croissants.

À bientot mes petit saucissons.
By DaveAitch
This is even more off topic: once, when in France, a lady shopkeeper asked me to put her window banner motto into correct English. I started to do that, then told her that it was better to keep it as it was: her version was much more eye-catching.
It doesn't matter how poor one's French is, the French appreciate foreigners making an attempt. 'O' level foreign language 1963: Latin. French learned on the hoof.
By Elgar
I like that from Axe.

Excited to see Nye Thomas in the prem cup now!

(and Warr make his first Prem start).
By H's D
Just as well the Axe thinks we can cope and aren't looking to the continent: there can't be that many available top quality scrumhalfs with HGV licences! :crazy:
DaveAitch liked this
By DaveAitch
Someone I knew several years back taught German at Liverpool University. He always argued that English, unlike French, German, Spanish etcetera, had the sense to lose all this masculine, feminine or neuter malarky for inanimate objects.
I've looked croissant up: as we know, male in French, also in Spanish, but neuter in German.
By SixNineOne
The problem for us English speakers when we’re confronted with genders apparently being ascribed to inanimate objects is that we think of the object and try to discern its gender from its characteristics. In fact we should be looking at the word itself to decide which article or adjective to use with it. So the French see nothing wrong with a male goat being une chèvre because they look at the word and not at the goat’s tackle…
By ageinghoody
:eh:
SixNineOne wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:19 pm
The problem for us English speakers when we’re confronted with genders apparently being ascribed to inanimate objects is that we think of the object and try to discern its gender from its characteristics. In fact we should be looking at the word itself to decide which article or adjective to use with it. So the French see nothing wrong with a male goat being une chèvre because they look at the word and not at the goat’s tackle…
And a German girl is "Das" Madchen! :shrug:
By dinogyro
SixNineOne wrote:
So goats can make illegal tackles because we're not looking at them?
Yareet, Flumpty liked this
By Yareet
dinogyro wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:43 pm
SixNineOne wrote:
So goats can make illegal tackles because we're not looking at them?
Isn’t Tom the GOAT?
By DaveAitch
Andy Murray said it was Serena Williams. Blair and Brown had a selection of goats.

Useless information #1,273: goats: tail up, sheep: tail down.
By 45jumper
If Cliff is going to be out for longer than first thought, Cook would be a decent stopgap.
By chris1850
Clutch wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:22 pm
Bang average when I’ve seen him. Don’t see the point.
Agreed. Would only take him as an absolute necessity, if we cant find someone better
Quins game

It looks like our injury woes are viewed as an opp[…]

Blanket

Good for him, if he finds some fitness internation[…]

Tigers caught again

How many times? Before……. Sorry i[…]