By Thekeg
It’s our final prem cup game and our last bit of prep beforethe premiership. 14 points is likely to be enough to get us in the semis, a win would get a home fixture. In that context I think there’s two ways to go, we pick our strongest 23 and use it as a dry run, perhaps substituting a bit earlier for key players, or we send down a more mixed team in line with the rotation so far, resting those that we might struggle to replace if they got injured

I think this is the time to go full strength, so I’d go for this 23 for next week and the for Gloucester:

Hammersley
Solomona
Sam James
RJVR
Ashton
RDP
Papier
Harrison
Webber
JCW
Beaumont
Phillips
JLDP
Curry
DDP

AVDM
Oosthuizen
WGJ
Evans
Ross
Cliff
Luke James
McGuigan

I think 10-15 pick themselves at the moment, Yarde isn’t quite ready yet and needs a gentle reintroduction. There’s an argument for giving him time v Irish then bring back mcguigan for Gloucester.

After Saturday I can see why some would go for cliff but I think we need to back papier and give him another game to bed in.

I am assuming Oosthuizen can cover 1, aside from that it’s a close call at tighthead but I think JCW on pre season form just edges it. 6 is a tight call and I think Ross is likely to start with JLDP on the bench, but I think the twins have been a highlight so far and we don’t need to rush Ross back. Evans/postelthwaite and James/redpath are close calls on the bench. Great to have options at this stage with key players away
By poyntonshark
I haven't seen anything of the game yet, but reports were that Jono looked rusty against Wasps, so I think he is likely to start against Irish, then see how we go. As you say, ditto for Yarde.

Given Dimes' pre-season comments, I agree we are likely to be full strength or close to for Not Nots
By Thekeg
poyntonshark wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:49 am
I haven't seen anything of the game yet, but reports were that Jono looked rusty against Wasps, so I think he is likely to start against Irish, then see how we go. As you say, ditto for Yarde.

Given Dimes' pre-season comments, I agree we are likely to be full strength or close to for Not Nots
He carried and tackled well but dropped the ball on numerous occasions
By AndaleManito
I'd like to see:

1. Oosthuizen
2. AVDM
3. Jones
4. Postlethwaite
5. Beaumont
6. JLDP
7. Ross
8. Moore
9. Papier
10. RDP
11. Yarde
12. RJVR
13. Redpath
14. Roebuck
15. Hammersley

16. Langdon
17. Rodd
18. JCW
19. Phillips/Curry
20. DDP/Curry
21. Cliff
22. Curtis
23. Luke James

Would want all the subs coming on after 45/50 mins regardless of the score.

Looking through the available Irish squad it doesn't look they can/will put out a strong squad, so hopefully we find the right mix between getting some momentum for our starting lineup for next week and giving some of the young'uns game time.

As high as I rate both players I hope we don't see both Redpath and Sam James in the centres together again as I think it's not well balanced. Going forward I can see Redpath playing 15. I'd back him to go to the next world cup in some capacity, but don't think he's bulky enough to play 12 unless you have a lump at 13. He's a real talent though, lots of classy touches last weekend.

I genuinely think our strongest starting lineup before the WC players come back has the back five as:

4. DDP
5. Beaumont/Evans (run the line-out), Phillips on the Bench, on after 55/60 mins for a du Preez.
6. Ross
7. B. Curry
8. JLDP

The du Preez twins are simply too good not to start, if we had had them in the team last weekend I think it would have been a comfortable win, they are monsters. I have no doubt they will be some of the best players Sale have ever had, haven't even reached their prime yet.

Anyway, will be heading to Reading to watch the game, hope we get another W! I wonder when the last time we won 4 in a row was?
By AndaleManito
So seems like the forwards will be:

1. Oosthuizen
2. Webber
3. Cooper-Wooley
4. Beaumont
5. Dan du Preez
6. Ross
7. Curry
8. Jean-Luc du Preez

going to predict the backs will be

9. Papier
10. Rob du Preez
11. Yarde
12. RJVR
13. S. James
14. Solomona
15. Hammersley

I'd love to see Curtis again at 10 but I can see why we need to get Papier and Rob du Preez clicking.

I think we'll be putting out a strong team regardless, I don't expect there to be many academy lads in the 15, though might see a few on the bench.

I think with our new found squad depth maybe we should be putting out a strong team to gather momentum for the Glos game, given that post WC we can rest strong players and replace them with quality, though I can see the argument for putting in more youth as we've already qualified (I think) for the semi final of the cup.

Looking forward to see Shrek in this first start and seeing what the dynamic of Jono and the du Preez boys along side Ben Curry is like.
By Surbiton_Shark
I would have Cliff starting at 9 - he's not played a lot due to his injury and his performance last week was good.

For me he's the starting 9

Does the actual Prem start a week after this game or is there break?
By Thekeg
AndaleManito wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 am
So seems like the forwards will be:

1. Oosthuizen
2. Webber
3. Cooper-Wooley
4. Beaumont
5. Dan du Preez
6. Ross
7. Curry
8. Jean-Luc du Preez

going to predict the backs will be

9. Papier
10. Rob du Preez
11. Yarde
12. RJVR
13. S. James
14. Solomona
15. Hammersley

I'd love to see Curtis again at 10 but I can see why we need to get Papier and Rob du Preez clicking.

I think we'll be putting out a strong team regardless, I don't expect there to be many academy lads in the 15, though might see a few on the bench.

I think with our new found squad depth maybe we should be putting out a strong team to gather momentum for the Glos game, given that post WC we can rest strong players and replace them with quality, though I can see the argument for putting in more youth as we've already qualified (I think) for the semi final of the cup.

Looking forward to see Shrek in this first start and seeing what the dynamic of Jono and the du Preez boys along side Ben Curry is like.
Think you might be right with those backs, gives Yarde more chance to ge back to fitness.dont think he will start v Gloucester
By chris1850
I agree. Yarde looked a long way off match fitness against Wasps. Which is only to be expected after his awful injury
By Thekeg
chris1850 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:10 pm
I agree. Yarde looked a long way off match fitness against Wasps. Which is only to be expected after his awful injury
Yes, I think we are looking new year at the earliest before we see him back to his best. Even if he’s physically 100% it must be really tough mentally when that’s happened to you.
By Surbiton_Shark
Team is out

Am I the only one getting somewhat worried that Cannanball hasn't featured at all last week and isn't in the squad this week?

Sorry don't know how to insert the picture of the team into this note
By Alex

@Surbiton_Shark you can just post the link and the forum will do the rest, works with Twitter posts, Youtube videos and Facebook posts. They all auto embed into the post which takes some of the effort out!

For photos you just need to put the [img] [/img.] tags (minus the . as otherwise it wouldn't show up!) round the photo link
By poyntonshark
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:04 pm
Team is out

Am I the only one getting somewhat worried that Cannanball hasn't featured at all last week and isn't in the squad this week?

No, you are not. What do we think? Possibility of an injury, or just protecting him from injury.
By Lord Elpus
To post an image:-

Right click on the image (on Twitter say).
Left click "copy image location"
On your post left click the picture icon above (Insert image etc. etc.)
where the cursor is flashing between the two img codes in square brackets press Ctrl and v together.
So:-
By Surbiton_Shark
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Team is out

No, you are not. What do we think? Possibility of an injury, or just protecting him from injury.
Must be an injury. This leaves our "crash ball" 12 options are Redpath and Luke - neither are really crash ball merchants but more ball playing centres.

Ah well - Luke and Sam have done a fine job at 12/13 before but if we get Rob De Preez at 10 - I can't see us creating a lot of magic with those three together. Mind you with the forward pack we're getting - who needs backs!
By Thekeg
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:58 pm
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Team is out

Must be an injury. This leaves our "crash ball" 12 options are Redpath and Luke - neither are really crash ball merchants but more ball playing centres.

Ah well - Luke and Sam have done a fine job at 12/13 before but if we get Rob De Preez at 10 - I can't see us creating a lot of magic with those three together. Mind you with the forward pack we're getting - who needs backs!
I don’t think it must be an injury, we might just be ultra cautious with a massive but fragile asset....
By Major Bloodnok
I think Dimes may just be trying things out. That's the fourth different centre combo in four games. He knows all he needs to know about Van C, so he's looking at other options.

We'll see next week against Glos, I suppose...
Thekeg and 1 others liked this
By Flumpty
That is a very handsome looking match day 23. I'm looking forward to my trip to the MadStad even more now.
By Surbiton_Shark
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:21 pm
That is a very handsome looking match day 23. I'm looking forward to my trip to the MadStad even more now.
I'm there with my lad so look out for us

Just seen the Irish team -without being rude - I don't recognise many names. In theory I'm thinking easy win

Reality - it will probably be a 6-3 victory to us............I've been a Sale fan too long....not sure the forecast is great either
By Flumpty
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 pm
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:21 pm
I'm there with my lad so look out for us

Just seen the Irish team -without being rude - I don't recognise many names. In theory I'm thinking easy win

Reality - it will probably be a 6-3 victory to us............I've been a Sale fan too long....not sure the forecast is great either
With all due respect to LI. I don't expect many locals turning out to watch this one, and given the capacity of the MadStad and the attendance in the last round, the four of us may be an easy spot for each other** !

** Flumpty Jnr has promised a streak at half time with the EggCup if its his :rockon: RWC Score prediction by game - any takers ?
Last edited by Flumpty on Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Clutch
Surely Luke James is a crash ball style centre. He’s a massive lad. Doesn’t have the hands of Sam. He’s a converted back row forward. Redpath is more of a 13, the way we play. He should be aiming to grab the 13 shirt in the next 18 months.
By StalyShark
Clutch wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:59 pm
Surely Luke James is a crash ball style centre. He’s a massive lad. Doesn’t have the hands of Sam. He’s a converted back row forward. Redpath is more of a 13, the way we play. He should be aiming to grab the 13 shirt in the next 18 months.
He’s (in the grand scale of centres) not that big, JOC was more physical in his last year with us. Rohan is so important to us at 12 and I’m willing to sacrifice on a Druid scale to keep him fit.
By Requin du Nord
I’m on the train as I type. Looking forward to another victory today . We are looking very good atm
By Flumpty
Requin du Nord wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:36 am
I’m on the train as I type. Looking forward to another victory today . We are looking very good atm
I might even be On the same train with you !!
By Thekeg
StalyShark wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:19 am
Clutch wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:59 pm

He’s (in the grand scale of centres) not that big, JOC was more physical in his last year with us. Rohan is so important to us at 12 and I’m willing to sacrifice on a Druid scale to keep him fit.
Listed at 15 stone on the offy, do pretty standard these days, but he’s only 20 and has a decent frame to add more muscle to
By hirdyshark
We’re leading 15-10 at half time. Tries for Hammersley and Ashton, both set up by Dan du Preez. Good start so far, hopefully we can score a couple more and close the game out from here.
By Van Cannonball
Not a convincing result given the relative strength of selections.

However, any away win is a bonus compared to most seasons...and they scored a couple of the tries whilst we were on a yellow.

If Rohan isn’t available then I think we’ll struggle to get the required wins from our relatively easy start in the league.

Cliff, RdP, L James as a combination has a worrying lack of creativity reminiscent of the start of last year.

Anyone got any news on Rohan, or reason for JLs late withdrawal?
By StalyShark
If I’m reading the tables and the rules of the comp correctly we'll have Saracens in the semi. Bugger.
By ale shark
StalyShark wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:10 pm
If I’m reading the tables and the rules of the comp correctly we'll have Saracens in the semi. Bugger.
Presumably at home? I’ll take that. During 6N isn’t it?
By Thekeg
Van Cannonball wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:03 pm
Not a convincing result given the relative strength of selections.

However, any away win is a bonus compared to most seasons...and they scored a couple of the tries whilst we were on a yellow.

If Rohan isn’t available then I think we’ll struggle to get the required wins from our relatively easy start in the league.

Cliff, RdP, L James as a combination has a worrying lack of creativity reminiscent of the start of last year.

Anyone got any news on Rohan, or reason for JLs late withdrawal?
Yes, we might start Papier though and Redpath another option. Fingers crossed the JLDP drop out is illness or a precautionary measure.

Main positive for me over this run of games is finding a way to win even when we have to deal with difficult periods. A good habit to develop even if we haven’t clicked really yet

Also AJ should be back soon ish, fingers crossed SA lose in the quarters.....
By FarnhamShark
A poor match, and overall a poor performance, not helped by the rain. Tackling wasn't great, not much creativity, and apart from one clean break by Dan du P which led directly to a try, not a lot of go-forward. Far too many penalties given away - we need to play the referee better. Positives I thought were Marland Yarde coming on as a replacement and looking solid very under the high ball (great to have him back), Chris Ashton's amazing ability to be in precisely the right place to nick a try (or two), and the mess we regularly made of their line-out. Simon Hammersley continues to look like a great acquisition. An Irish fan suggested that one or two of the Sale team were carrying rather a lot of excess weight - he specifically meant Rob Webber. He does look bigger every season!
By Van Cannonball
Webber always struggles for the first few games, hopefully this 4 game run-in to the season will have helped.

Agreed we have Papier and Redpath who could help, but I think it’s a bit worrying that our squad is so much stronger than before, but we’re still so dependent on one player that has a fairly shocking injury record.

However, I also agree that winning is a very important habit, and one that we’ve not had consistently for a very long time. Our significant strengthening in the pack should mean that there are more games we can arm wrestle to a win even when not playing well, compared to prior seasons.

On that note, I believe that we’re the only team to win all 4 Prem cup games, and Glos the only ones to lose all 4.....
By Thekeg
FarnhamShark wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:30 pm
A poor match, and overall a poor performance, not helped by the rain. Tackling wasn't great, not much creativity, and apart from one clean break by Dan du P which led directly to a try, not a lot of go-forward. Far too many penalties given away - we need to play the referee better. Positives I thought were Marland Yarde coming on as a replacement and looking solid very under the high ball (great to have him back), Chris Ashton's amazing ability to be in precisely the right place to nick a try (or two), and the mess we regularly made of their line-out. Simon Hammersley continues to look like a great acquisition. An Irish fan suggested that one or two of the Sale team were carrying rather a lot of excess weight - he specifically meant Rob Webber. He does look bigger every season!
Webber is fat, but he’s also been one of the best hookers in the league since we signed him so not sure he needs to change very much!
By Flumpty
Thekeg wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:05 am
FarnhamShark wrote:
Webber is fat, but he’s also been one of the best hookers in the league since we signed him so not sure he needs to change very much!
But could he be even better if he was carrying a bit less ballast ? It wouldn't harm his mobility.
By Thekeg
Flumpty wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:53 am
Thekeg wrote:
FarnhamShark wrote:
But could he be even better if he was carrying a bit less ballast ? It wouldn't harm his mobility.
In theory, but I think some players find a body fat that works for them even if they are carrying a bit more than looks ideal from a third party perspective. I think there’s a balance to be struck in maintaining strength/power vs mobility, some people struggle to keep the strength/muscle mass up if they get leaner. Don’t think he’s going to change his approach at 33!
By Surbiton_Shark
My tuppence worth

Slighty mixed feelings.

For those at the home win versus Wasps - this performance was similiar. Frustrating at times.

In saying that - we've won 4 out of 4 including 2 away wins with 1 being at Sarries

We started a bit doopy - for some reason Ashton bite in on tackle when he didn't need to which allowed Irish a lot of easy meters and then eventually a try. We eventualy woke up and went through phases nicely. It chucked it down after 10 mins and got really heavy during half-time. Luke James had once of the best games in a Sale shirt - really played nicely both in making hard yards and intelligent running lines.

Webber seems to get better and better with age and seems a real "leader" on the pitch. We hampered oursleves first half with just conceding pen and pen, the sight already of Ross constantly moaning at the ref is already boring.

The second half was odd - I think we had a slight lead at HT and literally for the first 20 mins we barely had the ball in our half and Irish scored a few points, but eventually after getting their half Ashton made something out of nothing (he's really quick!!) and our forwards then took over. Set peice was solid throughout, we now bring on subs who really make a difference and took off some players in view of next week.

Papier came on and made a lovely darting run - he's going to be a threat ball in hand though his timing of his pass isnt quite there with the forwards - it's not as fluid as it is with Cliff.

The frustrations will be the side we had on paper should have had a much bigger margin of victory - fair play to Irish - their defence was fantastic and with the rain pouring down neither side created a lot in the backs - Paddy Jackson looked good for them

We need to sort out our penalty count for when the proper stuff starts!
By Flumpty
Thekeg wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:44 am
Flumpty wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:53 am
Thekeg wrote:

In theory, but I think some players find a body fat that works for them even if they are carrying a bit more than looks ideal from a third party perspective. I think there’s a balance to be struck in maintaining strength/power vs mobility, some people struggle to keep the strength/muscle mass up if they get leaner. Don’t think he’s going to change his approach at 33!
You're absolutely right - I'm seeing things from a laymens perspective and he's a proffessional athlete, with a professional S&C team working with him on a daily basis.
By Rich E
Totally agree with much of an earlier post - the weather rather spoilt the contest but we seem to be gaining a winning habit whilst not fully firing on all cylinders.

I too thought Webber had a really lively game and our line out definitely suffered when he went off. I was looking forward to seeing how the starting scrum went however from what I recall I think there was only one scrum in the first half!

We seemed a bit careless at the breakdown, presentation, securing possession but perhaps the weather contributed to this; hopefully the understanding of the new pack will increase game by game. Phillips does do some solid work on days like Saturday, and I do like JCW in the loose.

Cliff was solid and distributed well, and Papier was very lively for the last 20; could make a real difference in the last quarter of games.

Rob dP kicked well out of hand, however I thought Jackson looked a real player (first time I'd seen him live) and he looked a really natural footballer - his line kicks gave Irish great field positions.

I also agree with above - Luke James had a great game; really pleased his head knock didn't seem to severe. His brother by contrast was pretty quiet.

Ashton good going forward, Yarde really confident when he came on, and Hammersley a great addition.

Dan dP though, again, as at Sarries, made such a difference though.

Game could have gone either way, but we seemed eventually to win over the ref in the last 15 and we managed to chisel out the win. Will be interesting how the prem game goes in 2 weeks time, just hope its a dry day then.....
By AndaleManito
My thoughts on the game:

Overall a mixed performance, we never really looked in total control, and had to rely on star players for our tries, but a bonus point win away is a bonus point win away.

Agree that Luke James looked very good, especially after he got up after he looked to be knocked out cold. He was motionless on the floor for a good minute, no idea how he returned out after his HIA.

Ashton looked very good, as did Hammersley. I'm pretty confident he will be the key signing this season in terms of team cohesion, having an out-and-out fullback means we look so much more solid than last year, no matter how good the wings are.

Dan du Preez is an absolute monster - one great offload for Hammersley's try, and then a huge carry and a filthy offload off the floor got Ashton in. No idea how he got the ball away. I've said it before but for me out strongest starting XV must include Dan and Jean-Luc.

One area of strength was our line-out, some beautiful balls floated over the top by both Webber and Akker. Whilst Irish's maul did look good at times, we put them under a lot of pressure at the lineout, with Beaumont in particular having a strong game in the set piece. I think he should certainly stick to second row now, he's solid enough as an 8 but he seems so much more at home at lock.

Phillips put in a typical shift, very low error count and nothing flashy, gets the work done. Jono Ross seemed a lot less rusty, didn't catch him knock any thing on (though I did miss the first 7-8 mins). As a Captain I think he's a great leader but think his ref chat could be better. Ben Curry had by his very high standards an average game, think he should have been rested for this. Didn't really do anything wrong but LI back-row were allowed a bit too much dominance at ruck time. Evans also looked good when he came on, kept the line out ticking well and solid in the wide channels.

Cliff certainly looks like the starting 9 at the moment, not that I don't rate Papier, he looked electric when he came on, stepped past 4 defenders in one run, but I think Cliff gives quicker ball on the front foot, and Papier coming off the bench against tired legs was quite effective. For similar reasons I would start Webber and then bring Akker off the bench. Certainly in a more "finishers/game-changers" role than subs.

I think the James brothers are a decent yet slightly un-creative centre paring, though Luke really grew into the game as it went on, with a very nice show-and-go leading to a decent line break. It's a different game with RJVR, I really hope we can keep him fit. Sam James had a poor game in my opinion, needs to get more ball out to the wings. He looks so much better with RJVR inside him (though who wouldn't?!) Redpath looked good, lovely touches and has a similar calm and elusive running style to Hammersley.

Whilst it seems like Rob du Preez is second choice to AJ for many on here, I rate him quite highly - got a fizzing pass and takes it less into contact that AJ, though that may be due to our strong pack giving us more front foot ball than AJ is used to. He also put in some big shots in defence and had decent game management. I think we kicked a little bit too much off 9 when it should have gone to Rob to get us some territory. Of course, I think AJ is a more reliable boot, so should be given the nod when he comes back, though on a dry day Rob has a far superior running game and is quite pacy. For me, Rob is the better offensive 10 and AJ the better defensive, though think AJ just edges it overall. What a luxury to have two solid 10s!

Yarde looked solid when he came on, Irish immediately tested him under the high ball and he had a few solid runs. Still feel he needs more game time before we see where he's really at. Tough day at the office for Denny, nothing really came his way but put in some solid hits. He really needs to be given more ball. He's the player I think Faf brings out the best in, lots of short inside balls and looped miss passes out to his wing. Ashton had a great game and just seems to score his trys on instinct. I've seen him try that grubber through, beat the winger on the outside move a few times but it came off for him yesterday, razor sharp.

I'm not a front row expect but didn't really sense that either team had the upper hand, from what I can see at the moment JCW is our best prop, but do take that with a pinch of salt as I don't really understand scrums. WJG and Harrison looked solid as ever.

As a team I still think we're not quite there yet, yet to fully gel, but maybe that's to be expected with quite a few new names in key positions. Whilst Irish played well I think we made them look better than they are, could have had greater line speed to shut Jackson down earlier. Don't like the guy but he did look very good yesterday.

Irish playing at the Madejski is quite ridiculous, whilst the official count was something like 2500 my brother and I didn't think there was more than 1000 at the game. Though Heading Down to Boston is certainly a great tune for a player to run out to! MOTM was given to their 4 but it was clearly Dan du Preez. Still not sure how confident I feel about Glos next week, I'd back us too win but we will have to play better than against Irish. I do think that many of the players we have are big game players, and it's simply a case of it being hard to get up for London Irish away in the prem cup in front of a handful of fans, I reckon we'll turn up the intensity in the Premiership against a solid team.

All in all, can't complain and feeling pretty good, though still think there's more too come.
By Flumpty
Lord Elpus wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:17 pm
Attendance 2508
a goodly number of them were dressed as blue seats.

10 mins before the game started there were 85 people in the entire stand opposite the tunnel (and there wasn't anyone in the stands behind the posts during the game)
By FarnhamShark
We've surely got 2 of the best defensive 10s in the Prem - let's hope they can really get the back 3 into the game.
By Surbiton_Shark
AndaleManito wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:57 pm
absolute filth by DDP with the offload for Ashton's first try
Sale Sharks twitter feed just posted this try - they also highlighted the work rate of Ashton

He's in a ruck to help secure the ball - when he sees DDP breaks he gets off his feet and sprints to get on on his shoulder - talk about work rate and desire........no wonder he's in the right place to score tries
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]