By 45jumper
Hoping that Raffi is back for this. I think we need to completely change the centres - Clermont have some very big boys, and if they can't tackle Bristol I wouldn't fancy them for this one. I'm not usually the biggest fan of the 6-2 split but I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for that here (not that I've picked it)!

James
Roebuck
Doherty
Rohan
McGuigan
AJ
Quirke
Rodd
Taylor
Schonert
Lood
JLDP
Curry
Curry
DDP

Reps - Ashman, McIntyre, Ooist, Poss, Dugdale/Ross, Cliff, Wilkinson, Reed/Hammer
By Clutch
Tough one. RDP did quite a bit right and without him we don’t have a play maker. Doherty used to playing 12 for us as well. RDP a physical player so not like his one on one tackling is usually poor. He’s more prone to getting out of position. Also a question of playing Doherty and Roebuck. Last time that happened it was an utter disaster.

I do want to get Doherty involved though somewhere. Maybe at 12 with Rohan at 13. I know that has other issues!!
By Streatham Shark
Why Taylor starting over Ashman 45? Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere, I dimly remember somebody proposing it but can't remember the argumentation.
By 45jumper
Streatham Shark wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:19 am
Why Taylor starting over Ashman 45? Apologies if you've explained this elsewhere, I dimly remember somebody proposing it but can't remember the argumentation.
Taylor is a better lineout thrower, we'll need that away in France. Ashman to come on at the 50 minute mark to cause some havoc.
Streatham Shark liked this
By Olyy
Was it Dimes or Axe that played Hammersley on the wing a few times?
If Axe then I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again for this game

With the midfield the defence can't really get worse than last week so I'd love to see Doherty in there - though I don't think he'll start (reckon he'll be on the bench though)

TBH I'd be surprised if there were (m)any un-enforced changes from the Bristol game
By Surbiton_Shark
Quite like that

Won't be a popular one but I would revert to Rohan/Sam James at 12/13 - it's our most familiar setup - if Rohan isn't fit..........would go James brothers centre with Doherty on the bench - just as it's a big euro away game

Trying to avoid having Hammers at all but with one of our main wingers being down we may no choice unless we do a gamble and have Wilkinson have a go

BTW assume Langdon is crook and Neild? has anyone seen anything on social media?
By Alex
From the website....

Players not available through injury:

Raffi Quirke, (1 week), Cobus Wiese (4-6 weeks), Faf de Klerk (4-6 weeks), Sam Hill (4-6 weeks), Manu Tuilagi (4-6 weeks), Akker van der Merwe (March 2022), Josh Beaumont (TBC), James Phillips (TBC)
By Van Cannonball
Thought they’d been talking Manu up for the Leicester game in 2 weeks?

Hoped I’d seen the last of Hammers on the wing...I get the situation but if I’m Reed it’s not a good look for me, and whereas he still has bags of potential (and speed, given it’s the thing we’re crying out for - I know the defence needs work) Hammers is not going to get any faster (or stronger)

Very surprised to see Axe persist with RdP at centre.
By Jalyn Mills
Like it - strong enough to have a go, but Lord knows what will happen with this cup. Gutted I cant be there as planned.

However, after last week (Arguably the last 2 years) I think that RDP must have incriminating pictures of Sanderson. :thinking:

Key fear for me is a front row not performing in the Premiership (Except vs Bristol - thank you Mr Barnes) going to France. Got to love the French club philosophy of 'You 8 are the fat blokes who push, and you 7 are there to run'. If we can get something out of the pack, then why not hope for a win?
By DavenportSharky
Damian Penaud will start this third day of the Champions Cup against the English of Sale in the centre of the field with George Moala. A position where he has already played 4 times this season. Kotaro Matsushima returns to his position in the back for this decisive match.

Once again deprived of several players, especially behind where Sheikh Tiberghien and JJ Hanrahan joined the infirmary, Jono Gibbes had to rehabilitate his team before receiving the English of Sale. Damian Penaud slides in the centre leaving his place as winger to Marvin O'Connor while Kotaro Matsushima absent since December 4 ( Biarritz reception) returns to the group.

Faced with some adjustments come with the return of Thibaud Lanen and Jacobus Van Tonder in the starting XV. The first starting line on the pitch of Racing 92, Daniel Bibi Biziwu - Etienne Fourcade - Cristian Ojovan is renewed in its entirety. Judicaël Cancoriet retains the captaincy while the pivot Sébastien Bézy and Camille Lopez remains in place for this European meeting. Morgan Parra and Jean-Pascal Barraque will be on the bench if necessary.

It should be noted that Etienne Falgoux is returning to competition as is Tani Vili who is returning to the group after a thigh injury. Lucas Dessaigne came into play about thirty minutes at the Defence Arena betting is one of the 23 players selected for this match (the tenth time since the beginning of the season for the young third row of the training centre).

The meeting, which will kick off Sunday at 6:30 pm on the Michelin pitch in front of 5,000 spectators will be broadcast live on beIN Sports and live live on our app and social networks.
By Surbiton_Shark
Injuries are weird

Players not available through injury:
Raffi Quirke, (1 week), Cobus Wiese (4-6 weeks), Faf de Klerk (4-6 weeks), Sam Hill (4-6 weeks), Manu Tuilagi (4-6 weeks), Akker van der Merwe (March 2022), Josh Beaumont (TBC), James Phillips (TBC)

No Neild/Langdon and Byron mentioned at all?

I kinda of despair sometimes- RdP at 13........Hammers starting..........just smacks of doing the same thing that never really works.

However I'll be sat in my shirt supporting away with a glass of something agreeable

Good luck to the team - whatever the result I know each one always gives their best!
Elgar, 45jumper liked this
By Streatham Shark
DavenportSharky wrote:Come on The English of Sale!
They haven't twigged half the team are South African - we can use them as some sort of cloaking device.
By dinogyro
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:19 pm

I kinda of despair sometimes- RdP at 13........Hammers starting..........just smacks of doing the same thing that never really works.

However I'll be sat in my shirt supporting away with a glass of something agreeable

Good luck to the team - whatever the result I know each one always gives their best!
I was with you until the last line!
By Streatham Shark
RDP is a classic redemption selection to make right for his many mistakes last week. Hammers is a safe pair of hands selection, and I'm not sure it would do Reed's progression much good being trampled into the dirt by some French giant for an afternoon. Of course the flip-side to that is that scoring a brace having haired round a behemoth would do him a world of good, but axe is clearly erring on the side of caution.

It's interesting that the captaincy has been taken from Tom and handed back to Jono, presumably he's felt to be a safer pair of hands in dealing with the ref after last week, which is definitely not something you'd have said at the start of the season.
By dinogyro
Our captain would be better off saying nothing to the ref apart from 'Please could you clarify that decision Sir?'

All other players to keep their gobs shut.
chris1850, Elgar liked this
By Clutch
Hammersley on the wing is annoying. When Axe joined he specifically referenced the fact that he would be playing players in their correct positions. That was after we played RDP 13 and Hammersley/Rohan on the wing at times.

RDP missed 2 horrible tackles but he did some good stuff. The alternative is James who doesn’t warrant a start.

I wouldn’t be playing Roebuck and Reed at the moment I guess but I’d rather have a Doherty at 12 and Rohan on the wing.
By Van Cannonball
I understand the logic of playing 2 defensively solid (and good high ball chasing) wings in our game plan, but when they’re not available and the alternatives are not particularly defensively solid, I’d prefer to take a risk and at least have some of our own attacking threat. Especially with the lack of spark at 9.
45jumper liked this
By Surbiton_Shark
Out of boredom in between Teams call........

Had a look at the official site for our back 3 - Denny/Ashton have been removed

Byron M - 101 games / 44 tries -43% (across all comps - same for all below)
M Yarde (yes yes yes) - 74 games / 30 tries - 40%
Hammers - 52 games / 9 tries - 17%
By RugbyMarvel
Glad Luke James getting another run out at FB. Don’t think the rotation policy has been doing him any favours so a long run of games will hopefully help.

Odd that Sam James isn’t in the 13 shirt, however I don’t think either Sam or Luke are big parts of the Sanderson plan going forward… in his appearance on the BBC rugby podcast, Sanderson was asked to sell the Sale Club to Ugo, imagining Ugo was a prospective signing. Sanderson ran off names such as Rodd, Ashman, the DP twins, the Curry twins, Raffi, Ford, Tuilagi and Reed / Roebuck as all players who are important to the side going forward - no mention of the James brothers.

Purely in regards to this side, think we will initially hold our own in the forwards but unless we get our big lads running hard onto the ball and Cliff speeds up the service, we will be running into brick walls. They also have a massive amount of gas across the back line and I think we could be shown up to an extent
By Van Cannonball
Luke has looked really good in his couple of appearances recently. Much more like he was before last season.

Hopefully he does get the run of games and that gives the confidence. He really did seem to suffer with rotation last year.
By 45jumper
Completely agree that Luke James should be given an extended run. I'd like to see him get a few games at centre but as things stand I'd rather have him at 15 than Hammersley.
Centrethreequarter liked this
By Bronzbronx
Who knows, could have a minor niggle, some were saying Jono wouldn't be selected due to non vaccination reasons. Appears to be hear say
By Elgar
From those that appear to be available I'd prefer to see 12.Doherty 13.RDP 11.RJVR 14.Roebuck OR Reed 15.L.James

21-23 Warr, S.James, Roebuck OR Reed

Hammersley has his qualities but we need very different qualities to these to balance the other back 3 players we have at the moment
By DavenportSharky
Match officials

Referee: Frank Murphy (Ireland)

Assistant referees: Peter Martin and Dan Carson (Ireland)

TMO: Olly Hodges (Ireland)
By LJK
The Torygraph today reports Sale are now 'travelling with an unvaccinated player' due to the last minute change in the French standpoint. This player was not going to go until presumably last night, so be interesting to see if there any 'injuries' to the named squad, that allows this individual to be included.
By Major Bloodnok
Le marseillais wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:23 pm
Good morning everydody !

What a mess!
Any of your supporters in Clermont today ?
A few at most, I suspect. I'll be here in my living room, though, pretending that I'm walking around the Place de Jaude, avoiding the fountains. Maybe next time - I really want to go back.
By RugbyMarvel
Think Curtis was playing FB for Coventry?

It’s not a great start to the game, losing a senior FH so last min… Surprised that he even travelled!

Wilkinson does need a good game soon. He’s behind a powerful pack, with a big runner at 12 and a secondary playmaker at 15. Granted, not much gas to utilise out wide but some intelligent tactical kicking is required to tire out the Clermont pack.

Deeply worried about our defence out wide with the likes of Matsushima, Penaud, Raka and Moala all in the side…

One key thing for the forwards, wind up Lavinini - will be easier once they go down to 14!!!
By Surbiton_Shark
FFS….I prepared myself by going to the pub beforehand.

Maybe would have done RdP at 10 and Sam at 13 with Rohan at 12 instead of throwing Wilkinson who hasn’t overly impressed- hope his kicking at the posts has improved ….and tackling…,,
Olyy liked this
By Olyy
Yeah, I'd have reshuffled Rob to 10 before starting Wilkinson who hasn't played in a while

I don't think it will make much difference to the scoreline though...
By Jalyn Mills
This all sounds very interesting. If someone wanted to *AHEM* watch it due to the incompetence of BT Broadband cancelling their service in error, where might such a person look?
By Clutch
Heywood road showing game.

Wilkinson has to start. We have to find a genuine back up to Ford. If he doesn’t start now then when.
By RugbyMarvel
Olyy wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:28 pm
Yeah, I'd have reshuffled Rob to 10 before starting Wilkinson who hasn't played in a while

I don't think it will make much difference to the scoreline though...

Either shows that Sanderson doesn’t trust RDP to run a game from 10, or that Sam James has properly fallen down in his estimations.

Brilliant start by RDP, drops the kick off. Fantastic
By RugbyMarvel
Christ, Hammersley didn’t ensure Lopez held over line (took it back over), then hands go awry from Jono offload.

Positive - Luke James, very silky run and good pass.
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]