We've not been linked with Watson, tbf, I was just saying I'd like to see it

Hard to know whether Rohan will leave or stay - he's just had a baby so he might want to raise them around his/his wife's family
He also posts a lot of entrepreneurial type stuff on his social media so might be looking to start some off field ventures
He also might think a move to RSA will increase his Bok chances (though they don't seem to mind foreign based players anymore, even uncapped ones like Jasper Wiese, so that's less likely)

Equally: I can't see a SA franchise paying as highly as we (presumably) are - so staying for the final year of his contract then weighing up from there might be better in the long run
If Rohan wants to leave, I wouldn't be wholly averse to letting it happen.
On his day he's unplayable but you just cannot rely on his handling skills. Not only that but he's also injury-prone. I'd like to see us move away from the comfort blanket of a big man at centre and would rather see money invested in some back three players.
Centrethreequarter liked this
IIRC, when Rohan PropCentre got his wrist slapped for signing for us and Glaws at the same time, Glaws were going to sign him as one of their Marquee players so I'd imagine that he must have been on a considerable wedge at the time.
45jumper wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:49 am
The England money thing is just plain weird though, what's the rumour?
https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feature ... eir-stars/

Don't get why the RFU don't pay the players directly, and don't get why Newcastle are sitting on it?

Reminds me of Father Ted "The money was just resting in my account..."
45jumper liked this
45jumper wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:59 am
Absolutely bizarre why the RFU don't pay them directly
Apparently it's because the players aren't employed by the RFU directly (i.e. no central contracts)
They're employed by the clubs who are part of the RFU, so the RFU pass the money down the chain

Maybe there'll be a rethink after all this
Olyy wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:44 am
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-b ... 3749692e40

Wonder if we're one of the Union clubs circling?

Local lad, started playing at Wigan St Pats
Maybe we could get Charnley (ex-WSP) to put in a good word
and Robbo being involved with the club certainly can't hurt
Hmm, given our issues in the back three and the three quarters (which have beeen compounded even further by recent events) I'd prefer an off-the shelf option than somebody we'd need to familiarise with Union, which given his background I'm pretty certain we'd need to for this lad. I'm also not a fan of speculative poaching of League players, at least not until No.1 son is poached by Sale from Wire following their triumphant Grand Final win at some point in the <checks diary> late-2030s.
I liked Charnley, but we did not get enough out of him while he was with us.
We all know what happened with Denny.
I have to agree that a ready made winger would be more ideal for our situation.
We have one VDM on the books, shame it was not the other one ( in hindsight ).
Looking at our position in the table could we attract any decent winger/fullback from the
Premiership or should we look offshore for a cheaper option? Please don't let us source
another brittle player.
On another tack, seems like the Bath board are happy with Morozov ( a dropped ball ).
Not sure we dropped the ball with Val - he wanted to leave due to family issues, and we allowed him to
If we were down a loosehead at the end of this season, and he doesn't stay at Bath, and we don't give him a call then sure, dropped ball - but since he left Rodd has come through fully and we've signed McIntyre, we've no room for another loosehead if he'd started marketing himself mid-season

Do agree on the need for a ready made centre/winger to come in, it was more just wondering out loud - the kid is apparently a special talent, so would be worth a look regardless (but in addition to a union player, not instead of)

On the subject of back three players, I wonder if we give Ashton a call for a short term contract after all...
I feel that Morozov was a dropped ball in that we should have been first port of call
if it was possible that he could return to the UK. I don't know that we were not, but feel
a bit disappointed that Bath picked him up. I am not impressed by the McIntyre
purchase even if he was in our Academy. Another brittle player. The youngsters need
managing well, would be a tragedy if they get over used too early or suffer serious
injuries by playing too much.
I always liked Ashton, thought it was a bit of a disaster when he was sacked. He always
looked like he was coaching and organising the backs when he was playing.
I don't know with Sanderson and his relationship with Ashton. Is there too much toxicity
about him now to be rehabilitated into the squad ?
Apparently Dom Barrow's on trial with us. Could be an excellent signing if it works out - a big 28 year-old northern lad who was tipped for England at one point? Suits me.
Wiese, Hill, Beaumont, Barrow, Poss, Birch is a pretty good set of locks for next season taking into account the salary cap reduction. Hopefully Beaumont can stay fit and allow JLDP to play at 6 more often.
Elgar liked this
Very happy with a quality 10 and lock, but we need mid field and back three bolstering as well.
Top quality backs won't be cheap if sourced from the Premiership, and presumably money
will be tight especially after the fantastic signings so far.
ShawSharkRedemption wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:27 am
I feel that Morozov was a dropped ball in that we should have been first port of call
if it was possible that he could return to the UK.
But he moved mid-season, not in the off season - I would imagine he wasn't looking for a club prior to that as I find it very hard to believe he wouldn't be able to find a pro club anywhere during the last off season

Like I said, if he is clubless at the end of the season and we're not interested (and have the room - I think McIntyre is only on a 1yr deal) then it would be odd, but as it stands we'd have no room (and presumably no cap) to sign him mid-season
ShawSharkRedemption wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:27 am
if it was possible that he could return to the UK. I don't know that we were not, but feel
a bit disappointed that Bath picked him up. I am not impressed by the McIntyre
purchase even if he was in our Academy. Another brittle player. The youngsters need
managing well, would be a tragedy if they get over used too early or suffer serious
injuries by playing too much.
I always liked Ashton, thought it was a bit of a disaster when he was sacked. He always
looked like he was coaching and organising the backs when he was playing.
I don't know with Sanderson and his relationship with Ashton. Is there too much toxicity
about him now to be rehabilitated into the squad ?
Maybe we were but we didn’t need a loosehead….
FarnhamShark wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:36 pm
45jumper - you seem to be assuming that Lood will leave at the end of this season. I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.
Perhaps. I just don't think he offers value for money as a marquee player. When he did play last season he was ridiculously good. As in, arguably 'best player in the league' good. But this season he's been away a lot with SA and his form has actually been poor when he's been with us. Add in his injury problems and his desire to be closer to his family in SA, I just think it feels right that he'll move back home.
If circumstances were different I'd be moving heaven and earth to keep him but I just don't feel that way at this moment in time.
Not sure poor is fair. Just not to his same lofty standards last season.

I’m hoping that will change when he makes a decision about his future. Unfortunately this seasons a write off anyway so not as if he’s going to help us push for the title.
And Johnny Leota to Lymm....

LYMM RFC have announced the signing of former Samoan rugby union international Johnny Leota.

The 37-year-old, who represented Samoa in the 2011 and 2015 Rugby World Cups, has joined Lymm for the remainder of the 2021/22 season.

Previous links with Lymm’s forward coach Curtis Langdon and centre Ben Stansfield during his eight-year spell at Sale Sharks helped Leota in his decision to join the Warrington based club.

Adam Fletcher, head coach at Lymm RFC, was delighted with his side’s acquisition of the hard-hitting centre.

He said: “Johnny got the bug back for playing and wanted to play for a local amateur club.
Olyy liked this
If we are moving in for Lambey and Ross leaving, I’d expect to see JL Du Preez moving into the 6 position.

Sanderson has repeated the whole ‘JL is a 6 playing in the second row’ a couple of times and I think it is clear that we want to keep the twins, so I anticipate him being moved back. I also think that now he’s started to improve his discipline, we would get more of him at 6.

Ross will have also come to Sale on a fairly good salary. He left Stade as a starting 6/8 and had captained them on occasion? He then was the apple of Dimes’s eye and will have had some decent contract extensions.

I’ve loved having Jono at the club, his physicality / passion has been amazing. But think the club needs some changes, especially to improve discipline (which is an ongoing issue) and maybe it would work out for the best for everyone?
45jumper liked this
Surbiton_Shark wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 am
Olyy wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 am
The Rugby Paper has us chasing Felix Lambey (French lock), and Jono Ross heading to Exeter
Ross to Exeter is an odd one. Maybe an eye to moving into coaching?
Yeah surprised me too,
He's not the type of 6 they like (they like monsters at 6 and 7 to balance out the lightweight Simmonds at 8)

With his concussion issues I'm surprised he's not either retiring or looking for a final payday abroad tbh
The more I think about next season, the more I want the squad to look like this:

Rodd*
Ashman
Schonert*
Hill*
De Jager / Lambey
JL Du Preez
T Curry*
D Du Preez
De Klerk
Ford*
NEW WINGER
Van Rensburg
Luke James*
NEW WINGER
NEW FULL BACK

Taylor*
Harrison*
Harper*
Wiese
B Curry*
Quirke*
S James*
Roebuck*

Wider Squad
Langdon*
McIntyre*
Jones*
Postlewaite*
Beaumont*
Phillips*
Dugdale*
Nield*
Warr*
Thomas*
Rob Du Preez
Wilkinson*
Curtis*
Doherty*
Carpenter*
Reed*

(*indicates EPQ)

In terms of back 3 signings…
We have already let Solomona go, I expect McGuigan might also leave. Not sure what the situation is with Yarde and Hammersley but I wouldn’t be adverse to letting both go.

For me to replace Solomona / Yarde, I’d want to look at someone like Hassell Collins.

With any money from McGuigan / Hammersley, would be good to get Ashton on a cheaper contract (sure he just wants to play now) and then someone like a Nick David or similar… I’d be happy to see Hill go if it meant we could fund it. Then look at Roebuck / Carpenter stepping up etc.

Scrum half wise, Warr becomes 3rd choice with Nye Thomas backing him up. I think it’s time for Cliff to go, having given a lot to the club and being remembered for being a good player for us.

Luke James I’d like to see move into the centres and get game time there. We would have Tuilagi / RJVR hopefully as our 12s with SJ and LJ as options for 13, with Doherty and RDP as cover also. (Sense we need to keep RDP to keep the twins happy).

In terms of the pack, I wouldn’t be surprised if Van Der Merwe, Oosthuizen and Ross left. If the rumours are right and Lambey comes in, those three going would fund him / Jonny Hill. De Jager might stay (not under salary cap) and then I’d be happy with JL Du Preez and Wiese being 6 options as well as lock.

Tight head wise, got to hope Harper comes good and then him / Jones can fight it out for the 18 shirt.

Don’t know what the situation is with our academy hookers, but if we had Ashman / Taylor / Langdon but still needed cover on occasion, either utilise the academy or look to the Championship.

Scrum half wise, Warr becomes 3rd choice with Nye Thomas backing him up. I think it’s time for Cliff to go, having given a lot to the club and being remembered for being a good player for us.
Think Nye will be quickly 3rd choice. Not convinced by Warr yet. He’s lively at times off the bench but seems to be lacking. His pass is like a coiled spring and takes ages to release.
Wouldn’t be shocked to see him and Cliff move on soon.
I kinda get it - whilst Hammersley didn't have a great game he at least made his tackles
Can't imagine Reed bringing down a full flight Raka like Hammersley just about managed to
and then Roebuck was having a decent game on the other wing and was winning the aerial battle on the kicks

I'm not convinced he's not been injured the past couple of months, though, and probably wouldn't have been in the 23 if not for [Redacted] being missing (I think if he'd have been dropped for his performance in the Gloucester(?) game then he'd have been out on loan at a champ/nat league side)

If he doesn't make any appearances in the coming weeks then I'd be inclined to agree, though
Reed is one of those players who we keep as a wider squad member if we have no wingers with high potential coming through from the academy in the next year or so, but shouldn’t be there if he’s blocking the next wave of potential.

He’s shown some bursts of brilliance on occasion, but in general is defensively not great, nor fantastic in the air. Bearing in mind much of our play is based on a strong kick chase - he’s probably not suited to it…
Agree with @Van Cannonball and would point to what Odogwu has done at Wasps having been trusted at the end of his time at Sale arguably even less than Reed is now.

Also, I don't agree that Reed's defensive frailties include his kick chase - would say he uses his pace and acceleration pretty well to close down space and get well off the floor to challenge ball in flight.
I'm just going to throw this one out there at risk (expectation) of getting piled on, but I think Hammersley gets a bad rap on here.

He's not our best player, but he's not a marquee player either. He's a decent squad player, and with a salary cap (and out usual gate and the according revenues) he's the sort of player that we should embrace.

Watch / read Moneyball and get some better appreciation of this sort of player for a team like ours. I'd wager that on a £ to impact basis, he's one of our most valuable:
  • almost ever present
  • usually 80 minutes every week
  • and even the rugby paper usually give him a six.
We aren't going to win anything without at least 5 of these layers in our matchday squad.
Olyy, WillC, tbird and 1 others liked this
Yeah, I like Hammersley a lot

He's far from perfect but any mistake he makes he gets piled in on on here

Similar is happening to RdP atm as well, and to a lesser extent Wilf, with more than one post saying he shouldn't even be a pro-rugby player

Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't be on the hunt for a new fullback, and I'm not saying I'd start him on the wing, just that the criticism gets a bit OTT
ageinghoody liked this
Does anybody who lives a lot closer than me know just how good Carpenter and/or Gourlay are? If he's contracted for next season I could see sense in Hammersley staying, but one of the other two getting a lot more match experience. On the other hand, if there's a really good signing out there, then go for him!
I think the Hammer comments would be OTT if they were focused on his merits as a professional player. I don't read them (or make them when I do) that way. Rather I think they're about the strategy that his selection tends to allude to.

e.g his role yesterday was limited to defending his touchline, expertise in the backfield and kick chase. He did all of that very well but not sure many of us really will relish watching a Sale team that has as limited a game plan as that entails, whoever the wingers are.

e.g coming off the bench onto the wing v Bristol last wknd - given his immutable vitals and whilst respecting the qualities that he does have - made the back-three less and not more balanced.

Similarly Cliff. He has his qualities and he's very good at the things that he focuses on. But he's an odd man out compared to the way that Faf and Raffi play, Papier played and Nye Thomas looks like he's going to play. It's good to have players and particularly halfbacks that can do different things compared to each other but it hasn't always been obvious why that particular horse has been deployed on each particular course (e.g into the final 25-30 mins of yesterday's game when we were starting to need to chase it).
FarnhamShark wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:50 pm
Does anybody who lives a lot closer than me know just how good Carpenter and/or Gourlay are? If he's contracted for next season I could see sense in Hammersley staying, but one of the other two getting a lot more match experience. On the other hand, if there's a really good signing out there, then go for him!
Apparently Axe has Carpenter earmarked as one of the players to build the side around in the future - guessing it's injuries that have kept him from featuring, if that's the case (i know he's had at least one significant one)

Though the last time a DoR name checked a young fullback to build a side around they left a few months later (Dimes about Tommy Bell)
Sort of agree but he’s more than a squad player. He plays more often than not ahead of the likes of Luke James and Reed.

His mistakes get criticised cause he’s there as a solid pair of hands. He’s threat ball is negligible ball in hand he needs to be water tight.

If he was back he wouldn’t get criticised but he’s a starter and he wouldn’t get in any other starting 15 or maybe 22.

We do need more money ball style players but not at full back. That’s a key position.

The other issue is the lack of pace in the team. Which isn’t Hammersleys fault but he’s part of the problem and he’s our least impactful of the not very quick players.
Sarries game

Belated congrats to the whole squad for that unexp[…]

Premiership Semi at Bath

£14.60 train - you aren't going to be[…]

Baba

Doherty on loan to Falcons sounds good to me. Get […]