By Alex
Just came across this on the Irish board (new forums paying dividends already :sus:)
Stevie J wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:50 pm
Found this interesting, buried in the Scottish edition of The Sunday Times https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-day ... -hzx07h2x5
Sale are understood to be open to Strauss moving on despite having another year remaining on his contract. If Strauss does leave, it is not thought he will return to Glasgow.
Given SO'B's injury might be worthwhile calling up our friends in Sale?
Sounds like we're open for Strauss to leave which I guess makes sense given he must be on a decent wage and we've got strength in that area.
By wishful3
Let him go, surely.
WithJ-L DP and Wilson this would be a no-brainer for me. Esp if his wage were then spent on a proper no2 SH.
By StalyShark
Definitely not rated much at the end of last season given the Curry, Curry, Ross situation that was lacking a gain line ball carrier.

Makes space for Moore to burst through too.
By poyntonshark
would be a shame for me, but clearly not favoured last season so would make sense for reasons as previously stated.
By NorthernMaori
I think its more a case of the EQP payments. This season especially it will be more difficult to get the required numbers so maybe Dimes his cutting his cloth accordingly.
By 45jumper
Agree with Staly, think it would be best for all concerned if he did move on, especially for Moore. Strauss has been good in patches but never really put a consistent run of form together.
Moore is very highly rated and needs a chance, he can back up the Du Preez's and then Wilson this season which is a good opportunity for him.
By NorthernMaori
I forgot about Moore :doh:

I agree with you 45jumper, this season he needs to stay fit and get some consistent opportunities. The last I saw of him he looked decent with good potential. Imagine a backrow that have all come through the academy and progressed on to international honours.; it's a real possibility with Curry Curry Moore.

Strauss unfortunately hasn't been consistently undropable enough. Nice guy and clearly is well liked amongst the squad but if someone offered to take him off our hands maybe its for the best
By Yareet
NorthernMaori wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am
I forgot about Moore :doh:

I agree with you 45jumper, this season he needs to stay fit and get some consistent opportunities. The last I saw of him he looked decent with good potential. Imagine a backrow that have all come through the academy and progressed on to international honours.; it's a real possibility with Curry Curry Moore.

Strauss unfortunately hasn't been consistently undropable enough. Nice guy and clearly is well liked amongst the squad but if someone offered to take him off our hands maybe its for the best
Wasn't Josh also fairly important in bringing in our first few Saffers? If so (and the plans work as we all hope) he will have played an invaluable role in the re-birth of the club.
By MikeGC
Interesting take on young Moore's chances here.

But a full (Scottish) international 'might' be leaving through lack of opportunity given that Sharks have recruited two new South Africans (full internationals ?) who can both play back row.
Beaumont who is an excellent no.8, two Curry brothers, Wilson (all 4 full England internationals) and Ross.
7 players for three starting shirts, even if Beaumont and Du Preez (D) are in the donkey row there's 5 top quality players vying for three starting shirts (and two vying for the bench shirt).
How do you squeeze Moore into that mix ?
I'm sure he deserves his chance but can't see how you would engineer that opportunity.
How do you justify dropping (apart from lack of form) an international back row player for an untried 20/21 year old ?
btw I expect Phillips and De Jager to be the main second row pairing next term, assuming they stay fit.
By Yareet
MikeGC wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:37 am
Interesting take on young Moore's chances here.

But a full (Scottish) international 'might' be leaving through lack of opportunity given that Sharks have recruited two new South Africans (full internationals ?) who can both play back row.
Beaumont who is an excellent no.8, two Curry brothers, Wilson (all 4 full England internationals) and Ross.
7 players for three starting shirts, even if Beaumont and Du Preez (D) are in the donkey row there's 5 top quality players vying for three starting shirts (and two vying for the bench shirt).
How do you squeeze Moore into that mix ?
I'm sure he deserves his chance but can't see how you would engineer that opportunity.
How do you justify dropping (apart from lack of form) an international back row player for an untried 20/21 year old ?
btw I expect Phillips and De Jager to be the main second row pairing next term, assuming they stay fit.
Point of order but I didn’t think Beaumont was capped.

And I’d say the answer to your question is you play Moore in the Prem Cup games. If Strauss is still around that’s one less opportunity for Moore and instead you’re playing one of the highly regarded players you’ve mentioned in a developmental competition.
By Monty9
Simple - World Cup, 6 Nations, Rest Periods, Prem Cup, Rotation, Players on loan not full season.

Plenty of options and will be nice to see plenty of rotation and use of subs.
By NorthernMaori
I would've thought general squad rotation would see Moore given plenty of gametime if Strauss left. I suspect Beaumont will predominantly play second row; and feel that he and De Jaegar will be the starting partnership as they provide a good mix of lineout operator and "enforcer".
By MikeGC
Yareet wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:50 am

Point of order but I didn’t think Beaumont was capped.
Not sure, his Wiki page (OK, I know) says he is capped.
I remembered him being called into the 2016 squad but leaving through injury.
It would appear that I made an error.
By wishful3
Might be being pedantic, and I know that the point was being made in reference to Sam Moore, but I don't think that Strauss is/would be leaving due to 'lack of opportunities'.
I think he has served the club well but new signings and the emergence of others makes a decision to let him go a sensible one; looking to manage talent and wages in the best way.
There was some reference a little way back to Glasgow fans warning us before he joined of his tendency to 'disappear' during less glamorous matches and I have to say I think we have seen a little bit of that. He has been pretty good quite a lot of the time but JLDP is an upgrade, imo.
I think the changes to the back row are 100% positive and I also agree that, at this stage of his career, there is every opportunity for Moore to get decent gametime this season.
By hirdyshark
RugbyInsideLine reporting that Strauss has signed for the Bulls for 2020. Makes sense.
By StalyShark
The Bulls do need at least one player for next season.

I doubt if that both the du Preez twins will go to the RWC so I’d imagine at least one will be available for the season proper’s start. So that’ll give us options of one, maybe two of them plus Ross, Moore and Beaumont.

I do hope we pick up an experienced 9 who is more lively than Cliff if his wage bill is free. Who is available? I don’t know.
By Yareet
hirdyshark wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:24 am
RugbyInsideLine reporting that Strauss has signed for the Bulls for 2020. Makes sense.

“Big news”...
By StalyShark
Just officially announced that he is leaving for the Bulls.

Good business all round.
By Flumpty
StalyShark wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am
Just officially announced that he is leaving for the Bulls.

Good business all round.
& once again the Sale press release is a decent thing to read, especially "I am sure he will be a huge success at his new club, and he is welcome back to Manchester anytime.” SD
By NorthernMaori
Maybe the press releases have been nice as SD genuinely doesn't mind letting these guys go. If they had been forcing a move and particularly if this was to another club in the Prem then I imagine the press release would be less then positive
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]