Meehan
Jackson
Loader
Stephenson
Rona
Naholo
Parton

Hobbs-Awoyemi, Matu'u, Chawatama, Nott, Rogerson, Steele, Myler, Williams

If the weather is looking terrible again, we may see Jackson shifted to FB again with Myler at 10, as that seemed to go okay in the conditions against Sarries. Also a chance Veitokani could come back in at 15
By GC89
It is a tough one to call. I thought Myler controlled the game much better than Jackson has so far and probably deserves another chance, although I appreciate we probably look more likely to score tries with Jackson at 10. However, if we reward Myler’s performance against Sarries then the next question is whether Jackson starts at 15 or is on the bench. On balance, I think he starts and Freddie is on the bench if available. The centres were a step up this week, but Rona still hasn’t done enough for me (leaving aside his strength in defence which you highlighted MW). I was a bit critical of Hepetema against Sale, but would be interested to see how he goes against his old team, alongside Stephenson. The pair of them were very effective together last season. I would personally have Rogerson ahead of Cowan, but appreciate that is probably just me. I prefer the balance and felt Cowan dipped a bit against Sarries.

1. Hobbs-Awoyemi
2. Fainga’a
3. Hoskins
4. Botha
5. Van der Merwe
6. Rogerson
7. Ioane
8. Tuisue

9. Meehan
10. Myler
11. Loader
12. Hepetema
13. Stephenson
14. Naholo
15. Jackson

16. Matu’u
17. Dell
18. Chatawama
19. Nott
20. Cowan
21. Steele
22. Veitokani
23. Rona
By Margin_Walker
Think in the back row especially you could see any number of combinations. Wouldn't be surprised to see Rogerson or Nott at 6.

Weather doesn't look quite as bad as it was last weekend. Would be nice to play a game that didn't take place in a torrential downpour this season.
By Narbia
9. Meehan
10. Myler

15. Jackson

That's what I'd have to start with.
I was wrong a bout the Sale game, but I think this could be an arm wrestle. Kicking duties have to be spot on. Myler over PJ in that respect.
By GC89
15 Paddy Jackson, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Terrence Hepetema, 11 Ben Loader, 10 Stephen Myler, 9 Ben Meehan, 1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 2 Saia Fainga’a, 3 Ollie Hoskins, 4 Ruan Botha, 5 Franco van der Merwe ©, 6 Blair Cowan, 7 TJ Ioane, 8 Albert Tuisue

Replacements:
16 Motu Matu’u, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Lovejoy Chawatama, 19 George Nott, 20 Matt Rogerson, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Matt Williams, 23 Tom Parton

Shame to see Stephenson out again, but perhaps he is being eased in. Otherwise happy with that side. Phipps on the bench is a nice bonus.
Narbia liked this
By Narbia
Narbia wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am
9. Meehan
10. Myler

15. Jackson

That's what I'd have to start with.
I was wrong a bout the Sale game, but I think this could be an arm wrestle. Kicking duties have to be spot on. Myler over PJ in that respect.
If it ain't broke -don't fix it. :yes:

London Irish:
15 Paddy Jackson, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Terrence Hepetema, 11 Ben Loader, 10 Stephen Myler, 9 Ben Meehan, 1 Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi, 2 Saia Fainga’a, 3 Ollie Hoskins, 4 Ruan Botha, 5 Franco van der Merwe ©, 6 Blair Cowan, 7 TJ Ioane, 8 Albert Tuisue

Replacements:
16 Motu Matu’u, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Lovejoy Chawatama, 19 George Nott, 20 Matt Rogerson, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Matt Williams, 23 Tom Parton

Edit : Two posts submitted at the same moment!
By Margin_Walker
They kept Phipps being in the country very quiet. Hopefully just managing Stephenson's workload after being out, rather than an injury
By Narbia
Oh boy, that was good!

When was the last time you came away from the MadStad feeling you've had value for money?

Some touches of great rugby there. Great work fellas!! :dance:
By Margin_Walker
Yeah, that was the most enjoyable game I've watched them play for a long time. Leicester weren't great, but that was a seriously clinical performance.

It's a great way to go into the European games.
By Stevie J
Great team performance, especially in defence when all it seemed was a litany of penalties against us for Maul offences. 2 wins in 4 games during the 'World Cup period' and you can't say fairer than that.

And we still have to consider Kepu, Coleman and Mafi are yet to get into the mix here.

• Botha looks like a great bit of business. Lineout looks safer to him and his ability to shift his weight as he carries means he makes more metres than others. Chargedowns too. Coleman to come in too but it'll be a shame when Botha goes to Japan, he's been terrific.
  • I'll have to rewatch it when I get the chance but our tackling seemed very sound often knocking Tigers backwards.
  • Tigers really need their England contingent back again. That was the worst Tigers team I've seen at the MadStad since I started coming in 2003.
By GHA
Agree with all the above - a very good performance against a poor Tigers side with little direction. Solid from 1 to 23 rather than any obvious standouts, and we looked very strong in defence (it felt like we defended most of the game without really looking stretched) as well as being clinical in attack. And pretty much the 'perfect' bonus point selection of tries - one from first phase off an attacking scrum, one following a turnover in our 22 after a couple of phases, one from a crossfield kick, and one 80 metre interception following good defence. May as well throw the rolling maul one in for good measure...

A minor moan for the sake of it - too many unnecessary penalties for me. We weren't stretched in defence, and JP isn't the kind of ref to let things slide, so I thought we didn't play him or the situation well in that we didn't need to try and steal a yard in defence and give him the opportunity to ping us for offside, which happened on quite a few occasions.

Bigger tests to come but promising signs :joy:
By Stevie J
Stevie J wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:42 am
Great team performance, especially in defence when all it seemed was a litany of penalties against us for Maul offences. 2 wins in 4 games during the 'World Cup period' and you can't say fairer than that.

And we still have to consider Kepu, Coleman and Mafi are yet to get into the mix here.

• Botha looks like a great bit of business. Lineout looks safer to him and his ability to shift his weight as he carries means he makes more metres than others. Chargedowns too. Coleman to come in too but it'll be a shame when Botha goes to Japan, he's been terrific.
  • I'll have to rewatch it when I get the chance but our tackling seemed very sound often knocking Tigers backwards.
  • Tigers really need their England contingent back again. That was the worst Tigers team I've seen at the MadStad since I started coming in 2003.
And O'Brien - I forgot him (easy to do with his injury). Trip to Bris after the first batch of European games will be fascinating.
By Narbia
The Grauniad's take on the game ...
The points came from everywhere for the Exiles with Oli Hoskins, said said Bristol;’sThisThias win isBen Loader and Ruan Botha getting over in the first half, and Stephen Myler adding seven points with the boot.
:dizzy:
Never ending word association thread

Preacher https://youtu.be/dtW5upD5oW4?si=hjdhmslhh[…]

Quins game

From what I remember from Axe's media talk before […]

Was sadly unable to make it, hope all went well :[…]

30/12/23: Northampton 21 Sale 17 [GP]

RIP Deadly Derek Underwood. Spinner extraordinai[…]