We talk rightly talk about age re back three players, but worth mentioning that Maitland at 34 has just re-signed for Sarries (current starting wing) and Goode at 15 has just re-signed for 2 more years (current starting 15).

EDIT: 15 going on 35....
Last edited by RinTin on Tue May 16, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly looks like London Irish won't make their deadline (American consortium sound like absolute chancers: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c548 ... 60eab65c97 )

A lot of very good players are going to hit the market - supposedly some are already in talks with French sides.
The likes of Pearson, Cunningham-South, Loader, Arundell will be very hot property, as I imagine they'll be looking to stay in the Prem - though will (m)any have the cap space?

I'm not too familiar with their hookers outside of Creevy (and at 38 I imagine he's closer to retiring than signing somewhere new) - anyone we should be keeping tabs on?
Take Ben Loader any day of the week. Not given as much praise as others in the back three but what a player.

No hookers there of real merit bar Creavy. Second rows not the best either.

We are well stocked at centre. In back row, if we did look to take Pearson, we would likely need to lose someone like Dugdale for salary reasons which is harsh imo. Jono Ross leaving does leave a gap though.....

Regardless of player transfers it is incredibly sad to see this happening again. I personally have always had a soft sport for London Irish and enjoyed the type of rugby they played. Strangely this situation doesn't seem to be due to them having no money, but is instead all linked to a new buyer not moving fast enough. It is understandable that the current owners haven't submitted a plan for the 23/24 season yet given they certainly would not have expected to be involved.
I think Ross' retirement is probably covered by van Rhyn/Ellis (allowing JL to move back to 6, which is his preferred position)

I don't think we will, with Dugdale already here and Woodman coming through, but if we did want to strengthen depth in the backrow then Rogerson would be a good shout - ex-academy so you get the cap benefit, good leader, really seems the kind of player that Axe likes (not that Pearson isn't - I just think he'll go somewhere he'll be first choice/on more money than we could spare in the backrow)
Matt Rogerson would be a really good shout. As you say, he's an established leader and he also has a phenomenal work rate - he always tops the stats for rucks hit - he does all the unglamorous stuff really well. What's more, he's from your neck of the woods...
12 out, 2 in feels unbalanced but I imagine most of that money has gone on securing the du Preez twins - plus they're, for the most part, squad players who I imagine will be replaced with senior academy lads progressing
Olyy wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:18 pm
12 out, 2 in feels unbalanced but I imagine most of that money has gone on securing the du Preez twins - plus they're, for the most part, squad players who I imagine will be replaced with senior academy lads progressing
It’s a not dissimilar ratio to most teams. The general theme seems to be double figures out; a handful in.
Olyy liked this
Halifaxshark wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:26 am
And the impact someone like that could have on the development of Ethan Caine for example
What impact? Caine has already been learning from Akker, Tommy and Ewan (all internationals) and taking on Creevy would only serve to reduce Caine's likely game time as Creevy will be expecting games.

We do not have the luxury of being able to simply add a 4th hooker for experience. Cap is too tight and Creevy would not be cheap.

Agree he's on hell of a player, but if the plan is to expose Caine to more game time then we stay as we are. Creevy knows how good he is, so would be expecting good money and gametime.
chris1850 liked this
Akker has played 3 internationals, Tommy has played 1 international and Ewan has played 7 internationals and is leaving this summer - Creevy has played nearly 100 internationals, that’s a completely different type of experience to learn from.

Agree the plan is for Caine to come through, my point was that Creevys experience would help the young blokes coming through massively and add quality to the squad.

Reducing Caine’s exposure and the high wages are all valid points I accept.
RinTin liked this
Plus Akker has started 13 games this season, Ashman 9 and Tommy 3. You take Ashman out of that and it’s not a fourth choice hooker you are looking for.

Caine looked tremendous against Newcastle, but is he ready to sub every week next season. If there’s money in the cap, a top class hooker is a must.

Creevy is top class.
RinTin liked this
Halifaxshark wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 am
Plus Akker has started 13 games this season, Ashman 9 and Tommy 3. You take Ashman out of that and it’s not a fourth choice hooker you are looking for.

Caine looked tremendous against Newcastle, but is he ready to sub every week next season. If there’s money in the cap, a top class hooker is a must.

Creevy is top class.
12 months ago we had 4 international hookers which is probably one too many (and will have restricted somebody like Caine).

Next season we will have two front-line hookers which is possibly one too few to allow for proper rest/rotation.

If Caine can step up as a Prem-standard option, we're fine. If not, we probably need an option but it doesn't have to be a 100-cap international.
RinTin liked this
If the wish is to press for a top class hooker then you go LCD (cap permitting).

Creevy is certainly very good, but age is against him. With age comes less power, less speed and a higher chance of injury. He would command too much in terms of salary and squad role to justify imo.

My position is that we give Caine a chance. Another squad hooker would be handy (like a Dolly or Langdon who both left us) as their expectations and demands wouldn't be as severe
ledzepsfr liked this
Yareet wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:32 pm
Olyy wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:18 pm
It’s a not dissimilar ratio to most teams. The general theme seems to be double figures out; a handful in.
I’m sure we will bring in a back 3 player and schooner plus a lot of those going out are replaced by young lads coming up, we are probably only 2 or 3 down really
Slightly off piste, but The Scotsman reported this today

“ Tom Roebuck: Scotland and England battle for Sale winger - 'I’d love to play international rugby'

Scotland are hoping to persuade Sale winger Tom Roebuck to switch allegiance from England and represent the country of his birth.

Roebuck, a 22-year-old who has been called into England squads but has only been capped at under-20 level, is preparing to turn out for Sale in Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership final against Saracens at Twickenham. However, on the eve of the match, it has emerged that Scotland are keen to bring him into the international fold and that conversations have begun with the player, who qualifies on the grounds of being born in Inverness.

Good luck to Tom, but I hope we don’t go down the Ewan Ashman road here.
Olyy liked this
I'd love to see Tom on the biggest stage, but not in the thistle (though obviously if he did go that route I'd support him mostly-whole-heartedly)

Gotta think EQP quotas as well - down the line that could impact selection choices
Fissler reports Stad Francais now interested in Cowan-Dickie.
Carl Fearns off to France again with Chinnor
Tom Ellis gets winner’s medal due to his Sarries appearances
Former England U20 captain Alex Gray appears as Apollo in new season of Gladiators.
DavenportSharky wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:30 am
Fissler reports Stad Francais now interested in Cowan-Dickie.
Carl Fearns off to France again with Chinnor
Tom Ellis gets winner’s medal due to his Sarries appearances
Former England U20 captain Alex Gray appears as Apollo in new season of Gladiators.
LCD to Stade would be interesting. If he’s failed a T14-level medical, I can’t see how another T14 club could hire him.

And Chinnor’s in Oxfordshire 🤣. I assume it’s the Nick Easter linkup as he’s (I believe still) head coach there
EvR is 1cm taller than Itoje according to Wikipedia (6ft4 1/2),
Throw in DDP at 8, who is a regular target, and Wiese back in the mix (so JL to the backrow, who is much taller than Dugdale) and I think we're fine for lineout targets

I don't think our lack of jumpers was the issue, just the execution of our plays
as much as anything I think in the end the loss of DDP and Wiese (plus BC) from the pack was just too much for us to handle for this final game

put 2 of those 3 back into the squad and I think we would have won that

small margins but hopefully they can get back there for another shot
Flumpty liked this
Watching Saracens and then the Baa-Baas v Worldies it was fairly obvious that safe hands and the ability to offload in the tackle is something we fall a bit short on.
That and the fastest players in the world ;-)
The final was a great match and showed we were not that far away from the better team on
the day, but we will need to fix some shortcomings.
At full strength with a hooker with good darts, the forwards should be able to win our
own throw-ins. The backs need to be strengthened with more dynamic carrying and
penetration in the midfied especially. Nothing we did not know already.
poyntonshark, Flumpty liked this
SSR wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 9:55 am
Watching Saracens and then the Baa-Baas v Worldies it was fairly obvious that safe hands and the ability to offload in the tackle is something we fall a bit short on.
That and the fastest players in the world ;-)
The final was a great match and showed we were not that far away from the better team on
the day, but we will need to fix some shortcomings.
At full strength with a hooker with good darts, the forwards should be able to win our
own throw-ins. The backs need to be strengthened with more dynamic carrying and
penetration in the midfied especially. Nothing we did not know already.
Sundays game was fun, wasn't it ?

The other thing that Sarries did very well was change the direction of attack (seemingly) instantly - the ball carrier in the wide channels had options available to him inside and out.
Sunday's game was fun......reasons why apart from top class players going out to enjoy themselves, must include relaxed reffing! Several forward passes in the first half which I watched. Hard to know where to draw the line once you start 'bending' the rules in the cause of entertainment though.
Nic Dolly seemed to be all over the field for the BaBas His choice of socks appeared to be blue/white stripes rather than Tigers green, which was nice to note.
LJK wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:47 pm
Sunday's game was fun......reasons why apart from top class players going out to enjoy themselves, must include relaxed reffing! Several forward passes in the first half which I watched. Hard to know where to draw the line once you start 'bending' the rules in the cause of entertainment though.
That's an easy one. Apply the same interpretation of the laws to both sides, unless it's a player safety issue. It was refresshing to see smiling players and smiling match day officials enjoying a day out in the sun. I be that the post match bar bill was sizeable.
Flumpty wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 4:29 pm
LJK wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:47 pm
That's an easy one. Apply the same interpretation of the laws to both sides, unless it's a player safety issue. It was refresshing to see smiling players and smiling match day officials enjoying a day out in the sun. I be that the post match bar bill was sizeable.
I bet the pre-match one was also sizeable!
https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/rugby/ ... 84513.html

Whilst I will start this post with the reiteration of my fervent wish that Oirish survive, it doesn’t look like we are after any of their big names if the worst case scenario materialises.

Bath are understood to have made strong overtures towards flanker Tom Pearson, who is firmly on England’s radar for the World Cup training camps. Captain Matt Rogerson is thought to have been eyed up by Northampton, while a string of suitors will be ready to pounce on England back-three star Henry Arundell.”
Deadline extended by a week, which is promising - don't think the RFU are too squeamish to suspend them so real progress must be being made

With that said everything I've read about their potential new owners sounds dodgy as hell, so I'm not holding my breath
Unsure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but Tommy Taylor confirmed as Macclesfield assistant coach next year.

I'm sure he'll still be available for us, but does suggest LCD incoming, and Caine having more opportunity.
Olyy liked this
RinTin wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:53 am
Unsure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but Tommy Taylor confirmed as Macclesfield assistant coach next year.

I'm sure he'll still be available for us, but does suggest LCD incoming, and Caine having more opportunity.
Excellent to see the players involved in coaching at "grassroots" level. IIRC, Cam Nield was heavily involved at Sandbach and Sam Dugdale at Garstang.
RinTin wrote:

I'm not sure I get that leap. Lots of players from pro clubs also coach lower league teams. I guess they just aren't available to stand on the touchline on Saturdays.
Yareet wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:15 pm
RinTin wrote:

I'm not sure I get that leap. Lots of players from pro clubs also coach lower league teams. I guess they just aren't available to stand on the touchline on Saturdays.
You don't think it suggests another hooker incoming? Bearing in mind Tommy is now no longer purely committed to Sale and is one of only 3 senior hookers at this time. Seems odd to allow him to split his time if no one else is coming in.

Personally I don't think it's a leap at all really when combining this news with other rumours. In fact, if we aren't planning on bringing another hooker in, I'd argue this is reckless.

https://www.macclesfieldrufc.co.uk/2023 ... m-at-macc/ His involvement is more than just Saturdays away from Sale.
We've had quite a few players coaching grassroots sides tbf,

Joe Jones coaches Mold, McGuigan has been coaching for a number of years, Leota and Langdon both coached University sides

I don't think Tommy coaching makes it any more/less likely that LCD is joining - players have a lot of down time, training is done by mid-afternoon, grassroots training won't be until the evening
See a lot of players running businesses, getting degrees/vocational qualifications etc. while still playing full time

In other news..... Crusaders 37 Chiefs 26. Nine t[…]

Alex refers to Fordy, Rob, Sam Bedlow, Waisea + […]

Humbug

Covid Repayments

Look at the going concern statements in Glaws acco[…]