By abberley
g2forumsm wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:04 pm

Are we still doing Le Roux's?

Yes, and noting apostrophe abuse.
I have no idea what the plural of Le Roux should be (possibly Les Roux?) but it definitely doesn't need the stray apostrophe ;)
Brummagem Bertie liked this
By g2forumsm
abberley wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:28 pm
g2forumsm wrote:

I have no idea what the plural of Le Roux should be (possibly Les Roux?) but it definitely doesn't need the stray apostrophe ;)
One of the joys of not having a grammar/private school education in the 70s.

Out of interest for all the pedants out there, have you thought about the negative impacts on those you are showing up of showing how superior you are to the rest of us just because you know where to shove a " ' ". Now I am officially a pensioner (but not according to these state), I am officially a Grumpy Old Git. Rant over :violin:
Last edited by g2forumsm on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
OverTheBorder liked this
By TeflonTed
abberley wrote:
g2forumsm wrote:

Les Roux.

Oui.
By A38
There's been a quiet debate about the "grocer's apostrophe" in the newspapers recently following the news that one of the societies campaigning for the correct use of that punctuation has closed.

For me the issue is not a matter of pedantry but of accuracy and the risk of misunderstanding.

In most situations punctuation - and even correct spelling - doesn't matter. But in some it does.

Take this example: "the player's agent confirms contract renewal" as opposed to: "the players' agent confirms contract renewal". Or even "the players agent confirms contract renewal."

And here I stir up more trouble by the (mis)use of the colon and having a sentence with no verb.
By TeflonTed
A38 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 am
There's been a quiet debate about the "grocer's apostrophe" in the newspapers recently following the news that one of the societies campaigning for the correct use of that punctuation has closed.

For me the issue is not a matter of pedantry but of accuracy and the risk of misunderstanding.

In most situations punctuation - and even correct spelling - doesn't matter. But in some it does.

Take this example: "the player's agent confirms contract renewal" as opposed to: "the players' agent confirms contract renewal". Or even "the players agent confirms contract renewal."

And here I stir up more trouble by the (mis)use of the colon and having a sentence with no verb.
You’re fine on verb content......

I confirm
You confirm
He she or it confirms.....
By patgadd
Ahem; that's in the subordinate clause "agent confirms contract". A38 is right in condemning himself for the lack of verb in the sentence beginning "or even", though he might have scolded himself further for starting a sentence with a conjunction!

(Well, at my age there isn't much fun to be had and I can't get out as I used to.......)
:sleep:
Brummagem Bertie liked this
By OverTheBorder
g2forumsm wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:15 am
abberley wrote:
g2forumsm wrote:

One of the joys of not having a grammar/private school education in the 70s.

Out of interest for all the pedants out there, have you thought about the negative impacts on those you are showing up of showing how superior you are to the rest of us just because you know where to shove a " ' ". Now I am officially a pensioner (but not according to these state), I am officially a Grumpy Old Git. Rant over :violin:
Agree with g2forumsm. I come here for many rugby related reasons and have learnt more about the game because of it, which I really appreciate. However I don't want to be lectured in grammar after (and during) work.
By TeflonTed
We’re all here for mainly rugby reasons, but threads do drift, and I’m quite happy with that.

We haven’t had an outbreak of TGP (the grammar police) on here for a while though, and I can quite see why some don’t like it.

On the other hand, just be grateful that you don’t have to wade through endless graphs of how many points we scored in the first 20 minutes of our games in 2014, or the comparative weights and ages of our forwards versus those of last week’s opponents.

That’s what I think anyway.

And back on topic, Sharky re-signing is certainly the best news of the week, and highly significant given that he’s reportedly attracted the attention of others, but has chosen to stay with us.

Well done Solly.
W4rriorz1980 liked this
By g2forumsm
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm
We’re all here for mainly rugby reasons, but threads do drift, and I’m quite happy with that.

We haven’t had an outbreak of TGP (the grammar police) on here for a while though, and I can quite see why some don’t like it.

On the other hand, just be grateful that you don’t have to wade through endless graphs of how many points we scored in the first 20 minutes of our games in 2014, or the comparative weights and ages of our forwards versus those of last week’s opponents.

That’s what I think anyway.

And back on topic, Sharky re-signing is certainly the best news of the week, and highly significant given that he’s reportedly attracted the attention of others, but has chosen to stay with us.

Well done Solly.
As a numbers man give me the graphs any time over '
By patgadd
OverTheBorder wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm
I don't want to be lectured in grammar after (and during) work.
You're quite right of course, and I apologise. In future I'll try to keep my pedantry to myself, and stick to sharing in the general praise of Nick Schonert.

(But be careful not to be caught reading rugby matters at work.)
By OverTheBorder
patgadd wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm
OverTheBorder wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:46 pm
I don't want to be lectured in grammar after (and during) work.
You're quite right of course, and I apologise. In future I'll try to keep my pedantry to myself, and stick to sharing in the general praise of Nick Schonert.

(But be careful not to be caught reading rugby matters at work.)
I believe they can't install cameras in trap 1......yet
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]