By Olyy
Byron named in the Scotland squad - congratulations to him! He's started the season very strongly.

Wales' announcement due at 11am
By eBike
Ditto, huge congratulations to both but a special shout out for Will Grif John for being called up.

"Tidy !" :joy:
By Olyy
Congrats to big WGJ!

He's been a fantastic signing for us,
Loved Big Red's description of him "When he hits people they stay hit"
By Olyy
Tom Curry the only Sale player in the England squad,

Old Boy Alex Mitchell named as an apprentice

Forwards
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 21 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 19 caps)
Tom Dunn (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
Ben Earl (Saracens, uncapped)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 14 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 45 caps)
Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 34 caps)
George Kruis (Saracens, 41 caps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 62 caps)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 81 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 68 caps)
Alex Moon (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 31 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 58 caps)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 18 caps)

Backs
Elliot Daly (Saracens, 39 caps)
Ollie Devoto (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 79 caps)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 65 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 9 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 47 caps)
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 52 caps)
Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 40 caps)
Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 42 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 95 caps)

Apprentice players
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Josh Hodge (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
By DavenportSharky
So a squad to try and win the 6N not looking at WC2023. He is as determined not to pick Ben as he was Cipriani. The worst thing that can happen to a player is to be put forward by the press as Jones does the opposite. Feel very sorry for Ben but also Spencer, Dombrandt, Simmonds etc. Mystifying that Cheetahs have 5 players in that squad.
By Clutch
Ben shouldn’t be in the squad. There are other better options at the moment. Which of the Leicester players would you not include.
By Basilbullneck
Mystified at the absence of a number 8. Tom has played there, but it's not his regular position. Balanced against this is 5 locks. I can't see Ewels getting any game time. Perhaps Jones sees Itoje as a future No8? I certainly agree that Hughes flatters to deceive, but Simmonds is unconventional but a special player, and by all reports Dombrant has huge potential. At this rate, we won't see whether that potential translates into actual form.
By all press accounts Hill is a tremendous prospect, but doesn't seem to have done much at Worcester this season. Also surprised that once Singleton is dropped (presumably through lack of game time) that Dunn has been picked. If going for someone of his age then I would have thought Yeandle would be ahead of him in the pecking order.
By Elgar
I think Dombrandt plus Willis or Simmonds to cover 8 would make more sense than Ben Curry being added to the list of flankers.

Don't understand why Spencer and/or Robson aren't picked to fill the generation gap between Heinz and Youngs and Mitchell who is an apprentice.

On the plus side, some exciting prospects in players like Thorley, Umaga, Hill, Dingwall and Furbank, Stuart.

Would love to have seen Thacker in the squad but suppose that would be a bit 'fantasy rugby' more than a test pick.
Last edited by Elgar on Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DavenportSharky
Well I would pick Ben over Underhill every time. Ben Youngs was one of the poorest scrum halves at the World Cup. Ben Spencer is much better at this moment in time.
By ale shark
It's infuriating and disappointing that after 4 full years in charge EJ is no closer to identifying an English 9 beyond Ben Youngs.

I've been to watch Sale and England 5 times now in France. I'm not holding out for 6th time lucky. Fortunately my dry-January expires the day I arrive.
By Basilbullneck
Ben and Tom, for me, don't work - too similar in style, I suspect. However, Tom and Underhill were very effective in RWC until the final. Underhill is a very destructive tackler and Tom brilliant over the ball and as a link player. But neither are bruising carriers like Vunipola.

We do need a carrier at 8. Mako at 1 is a good distributor but still has weaknesses as a scrummager as admitted by Jones. Therefore we keep him in for his carrying and weaken the set piece, or bring in Marler and lose a carrier. I'm not sure (but would like to be proven wrong) that Genge can do the basics as well as the carrying.

Thanks for the update about yeandle - I thought he was back from injury.
By hirdyshark
Quite a few people on Twitter suggesting that fresh faces will be brought in after the first two rounds, with Ben potentially one of them...
By Clutch
Forgot that Billy was injured when I was commenting on the squad.

Don’t get the suggestion Ben should be in ahead of Underhill. Underhill had a good World Cup, not far off Curry standards. He’s played in a World Cup final. He’s a good player at the highest level. You could argue that Ben should have been a chance at some point but at this point in time he should be in the squad. Earl has been great and offers something different and the rest are proven.
By Olyy
So the rumoured back row is 6. Lawes, 7. Underhill, 8. Curry

wtf is up with England coaches and the backrow
By Elgar
When it was suggested they were going to go with a backrow of Curry, Underhill and one of Earl or Ludlam with the other on the bench, and look to play at high pace for 80 minutes and be a nightmare on the floor... that kind of made sense why they might not go with an out and out 8.

But to have 3 locks and two 7s... weird. Good luck to them.
By Olyy
WillGriff John remains EQP for another week - no room for him in the Wales 23. (Which is pretty crazy, IMO).

Byron not required by Scotland, either.
By Clutch
To be fair, the scrum went backwards when he came on against Chiefs (not saying it was down to him) which didn't do him many favours. It's a big step up to international level, and they have plenty of solid international props. Not sure they have Will Griff's workrate though. I'm sure he will get his chance.

An interesting 6 nations, with three new coaches starting and the random prospect of a Curry * 2 8/9 combo.
By Olyy
Clutch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 pm
It's a big step up to international level, and they have plenty of solid international props
Hmm, the two in this side aren't exactly world beaters - don't think either are better than John in the scrum, and (as you say) his workrate puts most others to shame.

It looks like Pivac is leaning on familiarity/experience for his first (real) game in charge - and using players he coached vs the Barbarians/that have been in the WRU set up before.
Only reason I can think they wouldn't at least give LRZ a cameo from the bench (at home vs Italy is as easy a debut as you'll find in the 6N), and why they've gone for North over Tompkins at 13.
By Yareet
Olyy wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:20 pm
Clutch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:10 pm
It's a big step up to international level, and they have plenty of solid international props
Hmm, the two in this side aren't exactly world beaters - don't think either are better than John in the scrum, and (as you say) his workrate puts most others to shame.

It looks like Pivac is leaning on familiarity/experience for his first (real) game in charge - and using players he coached vs the Barbarians/that have been in the WRU set up before.
Only reason I can think they wouldn't at least give LRZ a cameo from the bench (at home vs Italy is as easy a debut as you'll find in the 6N), and why they've gone for North over Tompkins at 13.
I read that L’il Louis is carrying a knock. I can also see that experimenting with North at 13 makes more sense against Italy than in other 6N games.
By Elgar
So with that loose head, loose forward and midfield selection England are looking to kick the leather off the ball and go after the set piece and breakdown?

Catharsis for having the same done to them by the Bokke in the RWC final?
By Olyy
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 am
ale shark wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:31 am
Olyy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:43 am
Tom starts at 8
Crazy.
I step closer to moving to 9 ?
Daft idea.

It's Ben that's the scrumhalf! :mrgreen:
By Olyy
Not watching the game myself but I've heard that Ewan Ashman, our academy hooker, is playing a blinder for Scotland u20s
By Olyy
Tom starts at 8 again,

Five locks and three opensides in the 23.

Lawes at 6, Jonathan Joseph on the wing.

This is peak Eddie Jones.
By Clutch
Joseph on the wing is fine. I think you want him in the team. The obsession with Daly is baffling. How long since he's played that well in an Eng shirt.

Lawes at 6 didn't work against France. Time will tell.

Honestly, Curry at 8 will help Sale. His tight ball carrying is having to improve week on week. As long as we play him 6/7 we will hopefully get the benefits!
By Olyy
Rumours that Wilson has been called into the squad this week - unavailable for Glaws on Friday
By Olyy
Olyy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:58 pm
Rumours that Wilson has been called into the squad this week - unavailable for Glaws on Friday
This is now official.
By Elgar
Thought he looked fantastic against Tigers considering that was his first start for how long.
By Thekeg
Olyy wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:58 pm
Is he definitely unavailable given there’s no 6N this weekend? Presumably we will have mcguigan and John around. Oosthuizen must be a doubt but morozov back from his ban now
By Olyy
The initial tweet I saw said he was - it's a three day camp so I presume that's wednesday/thursday/friday - so technically would be available but wouldn't have trained with the squad all week/done the captains run.
By Centrethreequarter
From the Beeb:

Head coach Eddie Jones' slimmed-down squad meet on Wednesday lunchtime in Oxford for three days of training before the game at Twickenham on 7 March.

Still not absolutely clear, but we should know this time tomorrow following the announcement of the team to play Glaws.
By Thekeg
Centrethreequarter wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:28 pm
From the Beeb:

Head coach Eddie Jones' slimmed-down squad meet on Wednesday lunchtime in Oxford for three days of training before the game at Twickenham on 7 March.

Still not absolutely clear, but we should know this time tomorrow following the announcement of the team to play Glaws.
So that suggests he’s only away next week
By Thekeg
Olyy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:14 pm
The initial tweet I saw said he was - it's a three day camp so I presume that's wednesday/thursday/friday - so technically would be available but wouldn't have trained with the squad all week/done the captains run.
But surely that’s three days next week....
By Olyy
I think you're mis-reading the Beeb article - they're meeting for three days this week ahead of the game next weekend.
It's a shortened three day training week as it's the rest week. They then get the weekend off and the full squad reconvenes for a full training week next week.
By Thekeg
Olyy wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:09 pm
I think you're mis-reading the Beeb article - they're meeting for three days this week ahead of the game next weekend.
It's a shortened three day training week as it's the rest week. They then get the weekend off and the full squad reconvenes for a full training week next week.
Yes i don’t think it’s very clear. They are talking about training camps on Wednesday when it’s already a Wednesday....
Covid Repayments

I’m pretty sure I read from an interview s[…]

LC-D health scare

https://www.rugbypass.com/plus/luke-cowan-dickie-i[…]

Mr Critchard Keeps Us Informed

Good, solid prop. Never let us down, especially in[…]

That's a shame, Wonder where he'll go? I know hi[…]