View From The 22 site news and a place for you to tell us your views and suggestions.
By Alex
Welcome to View From The 22, we are aiming to become the go to rugby forum site for each team in England.

Here are some of the features the site offers

Alerts
Mentions
Like/Dislike
By Alex
Alerts

In the top right hand corner of the site is your user bar, this features a few different options including the alert system.

By default alerts are set up for the following actions, you can change this in your user control panel

Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
Someone quotes you in a post
Someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
Someone mentions you (or a group you lead) in a post
Someone likes or dislikes any of your posts

When you receive an alert it will show up with a 1 next to the bell and when you click on this it will show you what alert you have received.
By Narbia
OK. Repost!

I don't know what happened with the last entry!

tl;dr You really need to sort out what the link icon is doing.
By TeflonTed
Hi Alex,

Just one question....I like the navigation via “options” to switch to external forums, ie Shedweb, but how do I get back here in one step?

The only way I’ve found to get back is to use the back button (safari on iPad) but if I’ve been browsing around the external site it requires multiple presses of the back button.

Am I missing something?
By Alex
Narbia wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:10 pm
OK. Repost!

I don't know what happened with the last entry!

tl;dr You really need to sort out what the link icon is doing.
Which link icon?
TeflonTed wrote:Hi Alex,

Just one question....I like the navigation via “options” to switch to external forums, ie Shedweb, but how do I get back here in one step?

The only way I’ve found to get back is to use the back button (safari on iPad) but if I’ve been browsing around the external site it requires multiple presses of the back button.

Am I missing something?
It's something out of my control as it's going to an external site I have no control on whether they would link to us.
By Monty9
If a link from here opened a new browser page that would stop Teflon’s issue. Personally I also prefer when a link opens up a new browser page, not sure of the technicals with doing that though.
TeflonTed liked this
By Major Bloodnok
I agree, opening links in a new tab is preferable.

I had a quick poke around the forum/bb settings, but there's nothing that I could see there to enable it. Looks like @Alex needs to have a poke around in the engine room...
TeflonTed liked this
By Alex
Just done a quick update to the code, all external links will now open in a new tab which should solve the issue
Major Bloodnok liked this
By Monty9
Thats much better, thanks! With the way Alex is responding to any requests for development / changes and making WF22 as user friendly as possible I think any other clubs who are thinking of leaving SN would be crazy not to join in here. Especially when the only real benefits of SN are that everyone is all in one place, which we can get here.

Fingers crossed it will keep building gradually and when people get over the fear of change we will see most if not all clubs with a big pressence on here.

Great work!
Alex liked this
By Narbia
Which link icon?
In "post a reply" 10th option from left, that gives you

The rollover text gives you an option for a text descriptor, but none is given.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-07-22 Post a reply - View From The 22.png
Screenshot_2019-07-22 Post a reply - View From The 22.png (817 Bytes) Viewed 22874 times
By Alex
Narbia wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:32 am
Which link icon?
In "post a reply" 10th option from left, that gives you

The rollover text gives you an option for a text descriptor, but none is given.
To get the text you need to use the following BB code (minus the x at the front) [xurl=http://url]URL text[/url]

I agree that it's not as friendly as SN at the moment so will look into it and see what I can do to build something similar
By TeflonTed
Alex, I’m getting the popup every time I refresh or re-enter the Worcester forum, I don’t get it anywhere else!
have I upset somebody?
(Again)
By Alex
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:35 pm
Alex, I’m getting the popup every time I refresh or re-enter the Worcester forum, I don’t get it anywhere else!
have I upset somebody?
(Again)
A pop up what?
By TeflonTed
Alex wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:46 pm
TeflonTed wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:35 pm
have I upset somebody?
(Again)
A pop up what?
This.....in a big green box......
Forum rules: Your opinion is valued and very welcome. But if when expressing that opinion you insult, denigrate or otherwise belittle other posters opinion your card WILL be marked.

If your transgression is deemed serious enough you will receive a Private message telling you that your access to the board had been denied for 3 days. On a second occasion your will find your access denied for 6 days and a third time and you’re out of here!!

We, the moderators don’t give a damn who speaks to whom or what colour glasses your wear or if your pint is half full or half empty. All we want is that posters express their opinion with the respect towards other users of this board, that they would afford themselves.
By Alex
Lindsay has put that as the forum rules so that's why it's only showing on the Worcester site
By TeflonTed
Alex wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:25 pm
Lindsay has put that as the forum rules so that's why it's only showing on the Worcester site
OK, understood, and thanks for the prompt reply.

To be absolutely clear then, every time anybody goes to the Wuss forum they get that message at the top of the page. And no other club finds that necessary?
I don’t think it looks great, sets a negative tone, particularly if it’s only Wuss doing it.

I have to say I really don’t like that.
By poyntonshark
I have to admit, I noticed it was appearing only on the wuss board and thought it made it look as though a Wuss poster had been naughty.
By Alex
Yeah I agree but it's up to the admin of the section to set their rules, however I might pull together a site wide one as its taking up space on the forum page
By Faithful City
What your saying is that Lindsay is the administrator on our section as well as admin on warriors SN

Do Sportnetwork know and why is Powick Eastander not a members name on here, trying to hide maybe.
By chris1850
Faithful City wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 am
What your saying is that Lindsay is the administrator on our section as well as admin on warriors SN

Do Sportnetwork know and why is Powick Eastander not a members name on here, trying to hide maybe.
If it is a problèm to you, why don't you take it up with SN? After all, you claim to have a direct means of communication with their senior people. And if you have an issue with members names, why not contact the person and ask them?
By Doddies left boot
Can we get an option to change the forum colour/background as im finding the White a bit intense after a while and it would be nice to personalise it.
or am i missing the option somewhere.
cheers
By Doddies left boot
blue/grey but very light. greys are good. off whites.
could you give a user choice like gmail?
or offer supporters a choice in team colours rather than generic
By Alex
Custom themes are coming soon, just need to do a bit of work on them first
By Narbia
@Alex ex.

Re the sites's GKIC section, there's no sub-forum for London Scottish or the other teams not already covered.

Now, I can't speak for LS, but I don't think they have a web outlet anywhere?! I know they have an active Twitter account, but I don't think any forum exists.

Would you like to explore that?

As the name London Irish Scottish Richmond Ltd suggests, we do have a loose association with the RAG, apart from seeing some of our guys run out in the blue LS jerseys.

Any interest? :)
By Alex
@Narbia yes definitely. If we can gain some interest from them then I'll set up a sub forum for them
By Narbia
In the top right hand corner of a new post, you've got :

LIKE DISLIKE EDIT QUOTE.

Some other fora have an additional option for THANKS.

Particularly useful on the many occasions where someone has replied with a useful piece of information.

Just a quick tick without the need for a post.
poyntonshark liked this
By Narbia
I notice some posters from the other place being unable to find this one, due to a web search coming out with nothing for 'VFT22'.

Might be an idea to stick a label into the home page using 'VFT22' somewhere. Hidden to the eye, but readable by web crawlers and bots.

So with a day or 2 when google has indexed this place, potential new readers will find us. :yes:

EDIT : 'VFT22 rugby' seems to get picked up by search engines in a reasonable manner.

VFT22 rugby
Last edited by Narbia on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Alex
We're starting to work our way up the Google rankings now but due to it being reasonably new to activity it's slow progress. I'm doing all I can SEO wise to help the site but at present word of mouth is best and I'll do a bit of Facebook advertising too
By poyntonshark
Hi Alex strikethrough BBCode [_s] [_/s] (obviously without underscores) doesn't appear to be working, although it seems to be understood by the site, as the bbcode does not show, but text does not strikethrough.

e.g. If I enter "This text has [_s] strikethrough [_/s]" (without underscores) I get:-

This text has strikethrough
By Alex
That was something I noticed myself as I tried to use it in the site updates thread, it's set up correctly in the backend so I'll have to have a look as to why it's not being pulled through right
Never ending word association thread

Dune https://media.tacdn.com/media/attractions-sp[…]

24/03/24 Bath 42 Sale 24 [GP]

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once&mdas[…]

Covid Repayments

Umm, I’m staggered anyone was unaware. […]

"how you are going to transform little Sale[…]