By TeflonTed
Bad news indeed.

Leaves us thin on the wing, Dean Hammond is not due back for another month, Perry will be a busy boy!
By Warrior7
On the plus side it gives Nick David an opportunity. I thought he was good, especially in defence, against Castres.
By TeflonTed
Yes.

And I wonder how soon SVB will come into action as well.

edit....just a thought. Since Shilly was in the paper a couple of days ago claiming he’s perfectly happy to play 10/15, I wonder how he’d feel about having a go on the wing. He’s fast enough, positionally excellent, and has a decent field kick on him.

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/1 ... full-back/
A38 liked this
By Underdog
You wonder how many players are being sent for surgery to get it cleared up properly whereas they might have been asked to play on for a bit if relegation was hanging over us.

Not for one moment questioning the ethics of our medical staff, bit we've all heard of players being given injections to combat pain and then being sent back out etc.

As said above, time for Nick David to get a chance. Sorry if I'm being thick here, but is Fidow still injured?
By Latecomer
Underdog wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm
Sorry if I'm being thick here, but is Fidow still injured?
Saw him being helped off in the Cavs game against Leicester I think.
Believe its a hamstring, not sure if its a pull or a tear though.
Underdog liked this
By A38
Injuries, even serious injuries, are now part of the modern rugby game.

This season the Saracens debacle frees us from worries about relegation which is probably just as well given the long injury list we saw before the Wasps game.

As it happens the Wasps' injury list was just as long as Worcester's and I would guess that all the other Prem clubs have a good number of injured players at any one time.

I suppose we have to accept this, as supporters, but I do worry about the damage done to players by the number of heavyweight collisions we see at every game.

American Football style armour is not something I would welcome. I suspect that I am not alone. But the laws of rugby may have to be looked at if the injury lists all around the league grow significantly.
By A38
Back to Worcester, here is advice coming from the WN:-

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/1 ... er-crisis/

Is bringing in loan players really an option? It may have been in a relegation season but in this non-relegation season with young players to try out I'm not sure.

But perhaps the WN knows something?
By west brom warrior
Underdog wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:18 pm
You wonder how many players are being sent for surgery to get it cleared up properly whereas they might have been asked to play on for a bit if relegation was hanging over us.

Not for one moment questioning the ethics of our medical staff, bit we've all heard of players being given injections to combat pain and then being sent back out etc.
I think this is a very sensible thing to do, I suspect there are many professional athletes across numerous sports who are playing with injuries that long term require surgery but they can be managed through other methods. Its certainly not a moral question or question of ethics but the best way to deal with an injury.

I don't see the point in bringing someone in on loan this year unless we are going to sign them for next year. Much better off to play the youngsters and give them a taste of premiership rugby.
By FlipFlop
It has probably always been the sensible thing to do for player welfare, but i think the point Underdog makes is making is also valid, albeit unique to the this Prem season, now Sarries have been relegated.

Clubs can now get key players fit, rested, rebuilt etc like they do in the P14 for instance without the relegation fear factor determining how far the player is able, or asked to play on, in more conventional seasons.
By west brom warrior
Exactly we have been freed from the fear of relegation this season so lets make sure our players are 100% fit and raring to go next season because they will need to be with Newcastle under Dean Richards back the squeeze at the bottom will be even tighter.

I am currently having steroid and pain killing injections in my knee to get me through until I have an operation in March and its amazing how I feel no pain and have nearly a full range of movement when the steroids and pain killers are in full effect and there are no long term issues for the knee by doing this. I assume its the same for these sports players.
By FlipFlop
Sadly WBW, the game constantly shows us that even with repairs now, there seems to be a higher than average chance that key players will be broken again before season end or in pre season despite having ‘niggles’ or more serious injuries sorted in the artificial comfort of this Prem season.
By west brom warrior
Indeed FF with the size and speed of the players today the force they are generating is the same as having a number of high speed car crashes every week, it cannot be healthy
By TVM
Indeed - the sport has a cultural problem at the highest level.

But whilst at least one team favours winning over sustainability, the others will compete and nothing witll change.

No idea how to fix it, mind.
By TeflonTed
Sadly, it may take a few more very serious injuries such as that suffered by Fats’ before it sinks in that the continual monstering of bodies and increasingly violent collisions has to be reversed as a trend.

A sensible beginning will be the removal of the bench system, forcing players to adopt a softer strategy to be able to last the full 80.

And if someone is struggling, then off he goes. And only if he’s a front rower is a replacement allowed on, and then only with a sacrificial balancing removal of another man. And such front row replacements would be irreversible, and if this means non-contested, or even no scrums, so be it. When a scrum would be called for a tap and go re-start would surely speed the game up, leading to even more advanced knackerisation (is that a word?) of the fat boys and even fewer heavy hits.

There we are, problem solved.

It would be a start, anyway.
By SoS_Warrior
How about limiting the number of water breaks as well?
It would slow down the players and make the game flow better.
Sale Sharks Supporters Club Event

Promises to be a great night. And we have the Shar[…]

30/12/23: Northampton 21 Sale 17 [GP]

RIP Deadly Derek Underwood. Spinner extraordinai[…]

Quins game

FWIW, Quins' fan podcast are suggesting that there[…]

cancellation