#3030
Given that Dimes has said "“We are running with no injuries to the first team squad and everybody has stuck their hand up for selection over the past nine weeks.” & "“It looks like it’s going to be a very strong side that goes out against Northampton, all three du Preez lads will be playing in the game, along with Akker van Der Merwe and Rohan Janse Van Rensburg. Jake Cooper-Wooley and Simon Hammersley will also be playing a part along with our regular Stalwarts of Webber, Chris Ashton, Denny and so on. We’ll be picking from a full strength squad so it should be a fantastic game”.

Its a bit of a fantasy rugby selection game - who do you fancy for the matchday 23 (I'll admit that my knowledge of some of the Saffers is thin)

1. Ross Harrison
2. Akker van Der Merwe
3. WillGriff John
4. James Philips
5. Dan DuPreez
6. J-L DuPreez
7. Ben Curry
8. Jono Ross (Capt)

9. Will Cliff
10 Rob DuPreez
11. Marland Yarde
12. Rohan Janse van Rensberg
13. Sam James
14. Denny Solomona
15. Simon Hammersley

16. Coenie Oosthuizen
17. Rob Webber
18. Jake Cooper-Woolley
19. Josh Beaumont
20.Moore/Postlethwaite/Bryn The Beard
21. Gus Warr
22. Luke James
23.Chris Ashton

Looking at the Offy, I may be playing Hammersley out of position https://www.salesharks.com/teams/first-team/

Cameron Redpath taken off subs bench and put onto naughty step instead.
Last edited by Flumpty on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#3033
Really could be any combination for these games as they’re effectively the warm up for the squad.

I would think that Jono will revert to 6 now, with either JL or Dan DP at 8, but if Jono is going to spend some time at 8 then I hope he’s been practicing his control of the ball at the back of the scrum.

It was pretty much the only area of weakness I could identify in his game last year, but did cost us some great attacking positions.
#3036
I’m going to assume we pick our best available 23 here, then start to tinker a bit. So I’m going:

Harrison
Webber
JCW
Beaumont
Phillips
Ross
Curry
JLDP
Cliff
RDP
Yarde
RJVR
Sam James
Solomona
Ashton

AVDM
Oosthuizen
WGJ
Evans
DDP
Warr
luke James or redpath
Hammersley or mcguigan

Is redpath still banned for a week or two or am I imagining that?

I can also understand why Yarde might be held back a bit, but I’m assuming he’s now back to full fitness and needs the game time. Fully fit I think he’s our best left wing.
#3039
Flumpty wrote:I think that you're right about Redpath still being suspended. With a lack of friendly games, he's going to be on the "naughty step" for quite a while.
I recall seeing that he was going to miss some but not all prem cup games

Just checked, it suggests he don’t be available until 21 sept, which means he’d be free to play
#3040
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm
Flumpty wrote:I think that you're right about Redpath still being suspended. With a lack of friendly games, he's going to be on the "naughty step" for quite a while.
I recall seeing that he was going to miss some but not all prem cup games

Just checked, it suggests he don’t be available until 21 sept, which means he’d be free to play
Nice one. From the disciplinary decision that was posted on here previously (I'll try and find it) make mention of friendly games that he would be missing - so if he's not missing any friendlies, wouldn't that push back his clear to play again, date ? i.e he's suspended from x number of games, not x number of weeks.
#3046
Flumpty wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm
Flumpty wrote:I think that you're right about Redpath still being suspended. With a lack of friendly games, he's going to be on the "naughty step" for quite a while.
I recall seeing that he was going to miss some but not all prem cup games

Just checked, it suggests he don’t be available until 21 sept, which means he’d be free to play
Nice one. From the disciplinary decision that was posted on here previously (I'll try and find it) make mention of friendly games that he would be missing - so if he's not missing any friendlies, wouldn't that push back his clear to play again, date ? i.e he's suspended from x number of games, not x number of weeks.
It was 6 weeks
#3049
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Flumpty wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 pm
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:36 pm


I recall seeing that he was going to miss some but not all prem cup games

Just checked, it suggests he don’t be available until 21 sept, which means he’d be free to play
Nice one. From the disciplinary decision that was posted on here previously (I'll try and find it) make mention of friendly games that he would be missing - so if he's not missing any friendlies, wouldn't that push back his clear to play again, date ? i.e he's suspended from x number of games, not x number of weeks.
It was 6 weeks
on the assumption that he would miss the meaningful friendlies and the 7's games
First, the final game that England will play in the 2019 World Rugby U20 Championship dated June 22, 2019.
Next, the three pre-season games that Sale Sharks play against: Castres in France on August 17, 2019; Newcastle in England on August 24, 2019; and Russia in Moscow on September 1, 2019. These three pre-season games are full 15s played pursuant to the Laws of the Game and in venues and with public ticketing as is usual for this level of rugby. These fixtures are crucial to young club players and the clubs themselves as they provide opportunities which are particularly important in a World Cup year when a number of senior players will be in Japan during the season.
Thereafter, Sale Sharks are scheduled to play in the Premiership Rugby 7s on September 13 and 14, 2019. The Player has a significant history in 7s and this competitive tournament provides development opportunities for young
6
Disciplinary Decision Page 7 of 7
players. This entire tournament will count as one week towards the Player’s suspension.
The sixth game is a Sale Sharks Premiership Cup fixture on September 21, 2019. The draw has not yet been made for an opponent. This fixture will be played in compliance with all the Laws of the Game and played at a venue with characteristics ordinarily used by teams of this level. It will be open to the public with normal ticketing.
All of these matches satisfy the criteria required by Reg 17.19.10. The Player is advised to contact Ben Rutherford should any of the above fixtures be changed in any way.
Yonah liked this
#3081
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:05 am
Difficult to know how we will treat the newcomers, chuck 'em all in, or drip-feed them into a settled ish system. Makes sense, to me at least, to start with players who at least have played together, and add the newcomers gradually. With that in mind, my only change to the keg's lineup is to swap WGJ and JCW
I agree that’s a balancing act, which is partly why I think we might see JLDP rather than his twin, as he will be a bit more familiar with us, plus I still think Webber is likely to start the year as first choice hooker
#3084
Thekeg wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:15 am
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:05 am
Difficult to know how we will treat the newcomers, chuck 'em all in, or drip-feed them into a settled ish system. Makes sense, to me at least, to start with players who at least have played together, and add the newcomers gradually. With that in mind, my only change to the keg's lineup is to swap WGJ and JCW
I agree that’s a balancing act, which is partly why I think we might see JLDP rather than his twin, as he will be a bit more familiar with us, plus I still think Webber is likely to start the year as first choice hooker
His Dimeship has said that all three of the DuP's will be playing (although he's also been known not allways to be 100% accurate at times :giggle: )
#3094
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 am
Thekeg wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:15 am
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:05 am
Difficult to know how we will treat the newcomers, chuck 'em all in, or drip-feed them into a settled ish system. Makes sense, to me at least, to start with players who at least have played together, and add the newcomers gradually. With that in mind, my only change to the keg's lineup is to swap WGJ and JCW
I agree that’s a balancing act, which is partly why I think we might see JLDP rather than his twin, as he will be a bit more familiar with us, plus I still think Webber is likely to start the year as first choice hooker
His Dimeship has said that all three of the DuP's will be playing (although he's also been known not allways to be 100% accurate at times :giggle: )
They almost have to given curry/Wilson/macginty not around and Wilkinson injured, otherwise we are dipping into the back up options
#3115
Thekeg wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:15 am
poyntonshark wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:05 am
Difficult to know how we will treat the newcomers, chuck 'em all in, or drip-feed them into a settled ish system. Makes sense, to me at least, to start with players who at least have played together, and add the newcomers gradually. With that in mind, my only change to the keg's lineup is to swap WGJ and JCW
I agree that’s a balancing act, which is partly why I think we might see JLDP rather than his twin, as he will be a bit more familiar with us, plus I still think Webber is likely to start the year as first choice hooker
Webber has to start as first choice until AVDM settles and starts to prove himself. Particularly with his line out throwing which is allegedly rather suspect
#3144
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Ah, thanks, it mentions three pre season friendlies there that haven’t been played, so that suggests a further three weeks will be added
I wonder if he's joint registered with Sale 1861 and if so, their games would/might count if we would have been selected to play for them..
erm, isn’t Sale 1861 the women’s team ?
#3146
MikeGC wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:06 am
Flumpty wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Thekeg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:53 pm
Ah, thanks, it mentions three pre season friendlies there that haven’t been played, so that suggests a further three weeks will be added
I wonder if he's joint registered with Sale 1861 and if so, their games would/might count if we would have been selected to play for them..

erm, isn’t Sale 1861 the women’s team ?
That would be taking sneakiness to a whole new level :dance: The other Sale team, rather than the Jets. :hug:
MikeGC liked this
#3250
1. Ross Harrison
2. Rob Webber
3. WillGriff John
4. James Philips
5. Bryn Evans
6. Jono Ross (Capt)
7. Ben Curry
8. J-L DuPreez

9. Gus Warr
10 Rob DuPreez
11. Chris Ashton
12. Rohan Janse van Rensberg
13. Sam James
14. Denny Solomona
15. Simon Hammersley

16. Joe Jones
17. Akker van Der Merwe
18. Jake Cooper-Woolley
19. Josh Beaumont
20. Dan DuPreez
21. Embrose Papier
22. Luke James
23. Marland Yarde
#3283
Not heard anything official about Cliff being injured so I’ve included him.
Interesting that Oosthuizen hasn’t been spotted in any social media yet so I doubt he’ll be involved.
I would imagine that Byron may have been given time off due to his Scotland camps and the disappointment of non-selection. However, that does depend on how ready Yarde is.

Also, Ross, Reid and Wilkinson have had ops so I doubt they’ll be involved.

My bench:
Van der Merve
Pope (though I do wonder if Jones May convert)
Cooper Woolley
Evans
Nield
Warr (Quirke if Cliff not fit as Sturgess doesn’t seem to be rated and surely too soon for Papier)
L James
McGuigan/Yarde

Not many better teams will be put out than that on paper these next few weeks!
Attachments
CAF99490-7E44-48E2-B939-635AACEC3771.jpeg
CAF99490-7E44-48E2-B939-635AACEC3771.jpeg (144.29 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
#3291
I am going with.....

Sale Sharks Starting XV: 15. Simon Hammersley, 14. Denny Solomona, 13. Sam James, 12. Rohan Janse Van Rensburg, 11. Chris Ashton, 10. Rob du Preez, 9. Gus Warr; 1. Ross Harrison, 2. Rob Webber, 3. Jake Cooper-Woolley, 4. Josh Beaumont (Captain), 5. James Phillips, 6. Jean-Luc du Preez, 7. Ben Curry, 8. Daniel du Preez.

Replacements:16. Akker van der Merwe, 17. Bevan Rodd, 18. Will-Griff John, 19. Bryn Evans, 20. Matt Postlethwaite, 21. Embrose Papier, 22. Luke James, 23. Byron McGuigan


:) ;)
Thekeg liked this
#3292
Our back row stocks must be bare (!) if we have two locks on the bench; who would have thought that! Beaumont to go to 8 after subs?

Harrison will probably play all 80 as Rodd hasn’t played before, even for Sale FC (at Fylde last year) so surely too much for a “lightweight” prop atm.

Wish I could go and see how they get on. Anyone know if there will be a highlight/delayed full game stream?
#3320
Monty9 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm
When you think of who is missing from that team....

Faf
Yarde
T. Curry
de Jager
AJ
Morozov
Oosthuizen
Jono
Wilson
Cliff

All of those would expect to make the 23! Plus some really good youngsters coming through, what a season ahead!
They couldn’t all get in the 23 bit agree with your overriding point, we have plenty missing and still look very strong
#3326
Thekeg wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:45 pm
Monty9 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:52 pm
When you think of who is missing from that team....

Faf
Yarde
T. Curry
de Jager
AJ
Morozov
Oosthuizen
Jono
Wilson
Cliff

All of those would expect to make the 23! Plus some really good youngsters coming through, what a season ahead!
They couldn’t all get in the 23 bit agree with your overriding point, we have plenty missing and still look very strong
They could all *expect to* get in the 23
#3327
StalyShark wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:59 am


Wish I could go and see how they get on. Anyone know if there will be a highlight/delayed full game stream?
https://comeallwithin.createaforum.com/ ... 6/#new#new

Monday 7pm on 5.

Of course whether we get more than 15 seconds rather depends on how good a game it is.
StalyShark liked this
#3337
Chris Hoddle wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 pm
Looks like you could run up a cricket score. Saints will be playing 4 or 5 debutants in the game. Our full squad will be named on Friday
So how are saints planning to treat these games, I imagine the clubs will treat it more like an extended pre season to get themselves ready for the premiership rather than a development comp and then start the premiership cold
#3359
Little thought experiment to see what hypothetical team we could put out from those at WC/injured/not included on Saturday:

1. Morozov
2. Langdon
3. Oosthuizen
4. de Jager
5. Birch
6. Ross
7. T. Curry
8. Wilson
9. de Klerk
10. Adge Mack
11. Roebuck
12. Redpath
13. Doherty
14. Yarde
15. Wilkinson

16. Nield
17. Pope
18. Ford
19. Leatherbarrow
20. Moore
21. Quirke
22. Curtis
23. Reed

Obviously gets quite into the academy lads for the bench but would still be a formidable side.
#3362
AndaleManito wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:52 am
Little thought experiment to see what hypothetical team we could put out from those at WC/injured/not included on Saturday:

1. Morozov
2. Langdon
3. Oosthuizen
4. de Jager
5. Birch
6. Ross
7. T. Curry
8. Wilson
9. de Klerk
10. Adge Mack
11. Roebuck
12. Redpath
13. Doherty
14. Yarde
15. Wilkinson

16. Nield
17. Pope
18. Ford
19. Leatherbarrow
20. Moore
21. Quirke
22. Curtis
23. Reed

Obviously gets quite into the academy lads for the bench but would still be a formidable side.
Very interesting when you see that written down, shows the depth we have now. Interesting season for Nield I think....
#3383
ah yes you're right, for some reason I had it in my head that they were on the bench for Saturday.

Have to say I was really impressed by Quirke in the prem 7s, I think out 9 stocks of Faf/Papier, Cliff, Warr, Quirke and Sturgess(?) will stand us in good stead this season.

I actually think the only position we're not amazingly well stocked in is the centres, as if Sam James picks up an injury (which surely he is due at some point given the amount of minutes he plays) then we've got RJVR, Luke James and Redpath. Obviously very strong players but Luke and Cameron are still young and van cannon ball doesn't have an amazing injury record.

That's not to say I think the centres are a weak area, only in comparison to other positions, especially back 5. I do think this is the strongest squad I've seen since we won the prem.
#3392
AndaleManito wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:52 pm
ah yes you're right, for some reason I had it in my head that they were on the bench for Saturday.

Have to say I was really impressed by Quirke in the prem 7s, I think out 9 stocks of Faf/Papier, Cliff, Warr, Quirke and Sturgess(?) will stand us in good stead this season.

I actually think the only position we're not amazingly well stocked in is the centres, as if Sam James picks up an injury (which surely he is due at some point given the amount of minutes he plays) then we've got RJVR, Luke James and Redpath. Obviously very strong players but Luke and Cameron are still young and van cannon ball doesn't have an amazing injury record.

That's not to say I think the centres are a weak area, only in comparison to other positions, especially back 5. I do think this is the strongest squad I've seen since we won the prem.
Agree on centres, Doherty also in the mix there but even less experienced. Think Du preez could cover if needed as well but then we’d look thin at 10.
#3439
The Saints team:
there are 8 debutants in the squad. I expect that there will only be a few familiar names, many are the young guns that are coming through.
SALE SHARKS vs NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Premiership Rugby Cup, Round 1
Saturday 21 September, 2019
AJ Bell Stadium
Kick-off: 3pm
15 Tommy Freeman
14 Ollie Sleightholme
13 Fraser Dingwall
12 Reuben Bird-Tulloch
11 Ryan OIowofela
10 James Grayson
9 Connor Tupai
1 Ben Franks
2 Michael van Vuuren
3 Paul Hill
4 Alex Coles
5 Lewis Bean
6 Tom Wood
7 Teimana Harrison (c)
8 Mitch Eadie
Replacements:
16 James Fish
17 Will Davis
18 Ehren Painter
19 Devante Onojaife
20 Tui Uru
21 Henry Taylor
22 Tommy Mathews
23 Fraser Strachan
Referee: Andrew Jackson
Assistant Referees: Tim Wigglesworth and Steve Lee
Not available for selection:
Andy Symons (knee), Harry Mallinder (knee), Dylan Hartley (knee), Alex Mitchell (knee), Reece Marshall (hamstring), Mikey Haywood (knee), Jamie Gibson (shoulder), Heinz Brüssow (ankle), and Paddy Ryan (knee)
International duty:
Piers Francis (Eng), Courtney Lawes (Eng), Lewis Ludlam (Eng), Ahsee Tuala (Sam), Api Ratuniyarawa (Fiji), Dan Biggar (Wal) and Cobus Reinach (SA).
#3451
Chris Hoddle wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:06 pm
The Saints team:
there are 8 debutants in the squad. I expect that there will only be a few familiar names, many are the young guns that are coming through.
SALE SHARKS vs NORTHAMPTON SAINTS
Premiership Rugby Cup, Round 1
Saturday 21 September, 2019
AJ Bell Stadium
Kick-off: 3pm
15 Tommy Freeman
14 Ollie Sleightholme
13 Fraser Dingwall
12 Reuben Bird-Tulloch
11 Ryan OIowofela
10 James Grayson
9 Connor Tupai
1 Ben Franks
2 Michael van Vuuren
3 Paul Hill
4 Alex Coles
5 Lewis Bean
6 Tom Wood
7 Teimana Harrison (c)
8 Mitch Eadie
Replacements:
16 James Fish
17 Will Davis
18 Ehren Painter
19 Devante Onojaife
20 Tui Uru
21 Henry Taylor
22 Tommy Mathews
23 Fraser Strachan
Referee: Andrew Jackson
Assistant Referees: Tim Wigglesworth and Steve Lee
Not available for selection:
Andy Symons (knee), Harry Mallinder (knee), Dylan Hartley (knee), Alex Mitchell (knee), Reece Marshall (hamstring), Mikey Haywood (knee), Jamie Gibson (shoulder), Heinz Brüssow (ankle), and Paddy Ryan (knee)
International duty:
Piers Francis (Eng), Courtney Lawes (Eng), Lewis Ludlam (Eng), Ahsee Tuala (Sam), Api Ratuniyarawa (Fiji), Dan Biggar (Wal) and Cobus Reinach (SA).
Crikey, that’s a lot of injuries to start the season with
Team v Gloucester

Nah, I want Irish to do well in the European cups,[…]

Today's Game

How did the new boys Carey, Montgomery and Kitch[…]

keep the Egg Cup warm for me Teflon Ted Here ar[…]

Kendal ae showing consistency, but not of the sort[…]